Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Moto Vaquero OP
Trail less traveled

Oddometer: 270
60 CSx tracking for 30 days?

I have a Garmin 60CSx with a 2gb card and E-32, originally had a 64mb card. I also have about 10 or 12 Baja tracks saved on it.
I would like to track each day of my month long ride in Baja during april.
Questions: What are my limitations on the 60CSx as far as saving tracks?
I've read that each track is limited to 500 points so does that mean that I have to set the distance to .3 mi for a 150 mi ride or on auto?
Is it possible to get the 30 tracks + the 12 already saved on the gps?
Thanks for any input.

21 days exploring Baja
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922187
Moto Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
There should be a setting to save daily track logs to the SD. Only issue is they are being archived and are not available for viewing on the GPS, requires a computer to download to.

While you could set for a given time or distance interval to insure not going over the limit it's an inefficient recording method as point will be laid down even when not needed. Use the auto mode and try setting the slider for less detail.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:35 AM   #3
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Vaquero View Post
I've read that each track is limited to 500 points so does that mean that I have to set the distance to .3 mi for a 150 mi ride or on auto?
Is it possible to get the 30 tracks + the 12 already saved on the gps?
Thanks for any input.
Tracks you load to the gps are limited to 500 points but tracks you record on the unit can be far larger. Just leave tracking on Normal or Default, and make sure it's saving tracks to the SD card.

And buy a couple of bigger extra cards, copy your maps to those and change your card when you think it's full. Cards are really cheap these days so there's no excuse for being stuck with a 2 gig card.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 04:41 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Save to card

When you save to card, you really don't have much worries about running out of space.

I'm using a 4gb card, have a 3.1gb mapset, and even saving tracklogs set at Auto, Most, I have enough room to save almost 3 YEARS worth of tracklogs.

The high res tracklogs are really handy if you want to create map overlays from them in the future - they really closely follow where you went.

With map overlays you no longer have to worry about running out of saved tracks, but that's another whole discussion.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
Here is a method of loading an unlimited amount of tracks without using any of your tracklog memory. I just did this on my recent trip to Baja-----works perfect.

I loaded over 100 track logs I had of Baja into this $20 program called " GPX2IMG" do a google search for it and download it. This program makes a map image of your tracks and you load them as a map----along with your E32's or whatever other map program you want.

So now all those tracks show up on your gps screen ----------and you don't use any track log memory in your gps------and that leaves you with plenty of memory to save tracks. But---as others have said --------if you set the 60CSX up properly it will automatically store the tracks of each days ride into a folder that's name is the date on which it was recorded.

The 60CSX is an awesome gps---although a small screen and is light years ahead in my opinion of much newer gps's with all kinds of problems and useless bull.
I bought what most are saying is the latest and greatest------I won't mention the name s it will start a flurry---------it's in my son's waste basket and hopefully enjoying the rest of it's days in a dump.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Moto Vaquero OP
Trail less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
There should be a setting to save daily track logs to the SD. Only issue is they are being archived and are not available for viewing on the GPS, requires a computer to download to.

While you could set for a given time or distance interval to insure not going over the limit it's an inefficient recording method as point will be laid down even when not needed. Use the auto mode and try setting the slider for less detail.

Bruce
Thanks for the good info Bruce.
I have looked and can not find this "setting to save daily track logs to the SD" could you steer me in the right direction??
Thanks Much

21 days exploring Baja
Old 03-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
Moto Vaquero OP
Trail less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Tracks you load to the gps are limited to 500 points but tracks you record on the unit can be far larger. Just leave tracking on Normal or Default, and make sure it's saving tracks to the SD card.

And buy a couple of bigger extra cards, copy your maps to those and change your card when you think it's full. Cards are really cheap these days so there's no excuse for being stuck with a 2 gig card.
Thanks, tracking back on "auto/normal".
" make sure it's saving tracks to the SD card." Is there an option at the end of the day/track to save on SD?
Mucho Gracias

21 days exploring Baja
Old 03-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
Moto Vaquero OP
Trail less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Here is a method of loading an unlimited amount of tracks without using any of your tracklog memory. I just did this on my recent trip to Baja-----works perfect.

I loaded over 100 track logs I had of Baja into this $20 program called " GPX2IMG" do a google search for it and download it. This program makes a map image of your tracks and you load them as a map----along with your E32's or whatever other map program you want.

So now all those tracks show up on your gps screen ----------and you don't use any track log memory in your gps------and that leaves you with plenty of memory to save tracks. But---as others have said --------if you set the 60CSX up properly it will automatically store the tracks of each days ride into a folder that's name is the date on which it was recorded.

The 60CSX is an awesome gps---although a small screen and is light years ahead in my opinion of much newer gps's with all kinds of problems and useless bull.
I bought what most are saying is the latest and greatest------I won't mention the name s it will start a flurry---------it's in my son's waste basket and hopefully enjoying the rest of it's days in a dump.

BigDog
This "GPX2IMG" sounds awsome and I will get this when I return and load all my Baja tracks on it.
"if you set the 60CSX up properly it will automatically store the tracks of each days ride into a folder that's name is the date on which it was recorded." I may be a little redundant here but how do I get this setting?
Thanks for all the good info BigDog

21 days exploring Baja
Old 03-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
This "GPX2IMG" sounds awsome and I will get this when I return and load all my Baja tracks on it.
"if you set the 60CSX up properly it will automatically store the tracks of each days ride into a folder that's name is the date on which it was recorded." I may be a little redundant here but how do I get this setting?
Thanks for all the good info BigDog
From the map screen-----pressu menu twice.
Select tracks---press enter.
Select Setup--------press enter.
Select Data Card------press enter.
Check the box that says------log track to data card.

Your done-----you unit may be set up for this already and you just didn't know it------and you may have a jillion track logs in your unit. This storage happens automatically each day.
These do not display on your screen----but can be downloaded to a computer and viewed---or saved-or whatever you want to do with them.

The cool part is---------these stored tracks logs on your data card are extremely small pieces of data-----you might be able to tour the world for a year--------and all those tracks will be in you data card---------all 365 of them.

Now to get them out----view them---download them---erase them.

From the map screen----press menu twice.
Select Setup---------press enter.
Select Interface--------press enter.
Select USB Mass Storage---press enter.

You computer now displays the tracks on the data card---and you can do whatever you like with them.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,991
Quote:
I have looked and can not find this "setting to save daily track logs to the SD" could you steer me in the right direction?? Thanks Much
There are many settings that you should make on your 60/76x.

Go to DualSportWest.com and click on GPS and take my step by step class on set up. The how-to on recording active log to data card is very clear.

Jerry
Old 03-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
" make sure it's saving tracks to the SD card." Is there an option at the end of the day/track to save on SD?
Mucho Gracias
Yes see above

With the new "x" models there is no reason to ever save an active log to a "saved track" unless you want to use it again before you get back to a computer and you will fill the active log and have it set to wrap and it starts erasing the thing you want to ride. You can not see tracks on the data card.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
Moto Vaquero OP
Trail less traveled

Sounds like I need to take your class Jerry because I don't get an option on the track setup page for data card. Perhaps it is somewhere else. The only thing on the page is:
wrap when full
Record method (auto)
Interval (normal)
Color

Good info BigDog just havn't found the data card option yet...
I'll keep plugging away.

21 days exploring Baja
Old 03-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
..You can not see tracks on the data card.
Can be seen and deleted but not used from where they are on the card. Those daily tracks must be run through Mapsource (or Basecamp? [ I prefer Mapsource] ) and then can be put back on the GPS onto the Tracks page as a track with no more than 500 points. Saving a track with the GPS will result in a 500 point file if the track being saved exceeds 500 points. Save that same 'more than 500' point track in Mapsource and you'll likely get less than 500 points, sometimes much less.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #14
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
Quote:
... I don't get an option on the track setup page for data card. Perhaps it is somewhere else. The only thing on the page is:
wrap when full
Record method (auto)
Interval (normal)
Color
Below those options, kind of greyed out, don't you have "Data Card Setup" to scroll down to and select to go to the next page? What firmware version is installed?
Old 03-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds like I need to take your class Jerry because I don't get an option on the track setup page for data card. .
Have you set "Welcome Message", Page Sequence, etc. lots more you need to do to be happy user.