User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
Happy Snapper OP
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,074
Mitas E07 19 inch tubeless front tyre recall

So inmates.... anybody else get caught up in the recall of Mitas E07 front tubeless tyres? I had one and have had to replace it with Heidenau as Mitas have no stock of non suspect tyres in the country until late this month.

They will replace it FOC but then I will have a spare Heidenau to hang in the shed for a year or two.

Correction: Should read 19 inch tubeless recall.

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au

Happy Snapper screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 04:31 PM
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:10 AM   #2
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,137
My tyre went with the bike when the insurance took it. Apparently, the bloke who repaired the wreck and sold it on didn't replace the tyre and the new owner was still riding around on it, blissfully unaware of the damage that must have been done to the side walls.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
duckslider
decelpoppin

Oddometer: 2,839
Been recalled cause they're just a crap front tyre.Had 1 on Black Pearl(dr 650) and just
Wash it? It's a workhorse,not a bloody showpony.
duckslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Crustyvarmint
Back road wanderer

Oddometer: 402
I have a 19" on the front of my outfit.
They fitted a tube to it as the recall is regarding the sealing of the bead.
It will be replaced when new, good stock arrives.

1100gs (two and three wheels)
Crustyvarmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
Happy Snapper OP
GOMOB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustyvarmint View Post
I have a 19" on the front of my outfit.
They fitted a tube to it as the recall is regarding the sealing of the bead.
It will be replaced when new, good stock arrives.
Yes.. I am thick as two planks.. I meant 19 inch.. was looking at a picture of my old KLR as I typed that!

Be interesting to see when they arrive.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslider View Post
Been recalled cause they're just a crap front tyre.Had 1 on Black Pearl(dr 650) and just
Ducky,

I think the 21" is a different tread pattern to the 19" (which is actually the ones that have been recalled), seem to remember reading it somewhere on a forum....maybe here IIRC.

I lucked out and missed the recall issues, although I fitted the Mitas E07 to the rear of the Strom I went with the Mefo Explorer on the front.

The combination of the two is working really well and I will happily go with the same pairing again when I wear these out....in around 20-25,000km

Yes, they really are wearing that well, I've been measuring the tread wear/km ratio.

Anyone who wants a compatible tyre to fill in until Mitas get new stock in place will find the Mefo Explorer ideal (you can always put the Mitas E07 in the shed when it arrives and fit it when the Mefo wears out).

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,500
Hey HS , just fixed the thread title for you.

Leith

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
Happy Snapper OP
GOMOB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentil View Post
Hey HS , just fixed the thread title for you.

Leith

Cheers!

Old 03-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
duckslider
decelpoppin

Oddometer: 2,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post
Ducky,

I think the 21" is a different tread pattern to the 19" (which is actually the ones that have been recalled), seem to remember reading it somewhere on a forum....maybe here IIRC.

I lucked out and missed the recall issues, although I fitted the Mitas E07 to the rear of the Strom I went with the Mefo Explorer on the front.

The combination of the two is working really well and I will happily go with the same pairing again when I wear these out....in around 20-25,000km

Yes, they really are wearing that well, I've been measuring the tread wear/km ratio.

Anyone who wants a compatible tyre to fill in until Mitas get new stock in place will find the Mefo Explorer ideal (you can always put the Mitas E07 in the shed when it arrives and fit it when the Mefo wears out).

G'day Ockrocket.I typed my on here cause the original thread title from Happy Snapper stated 21'' tyre.
Wash it? It's a workhorse,not a bloody showpony.
duckslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslider View Post
G'day Ockrocket.I typed my on here cause the original thread title from Happy Snapper stated 21'' tyre.
Yes, I figured that much.

But I wasn't sure if there had also been a recall on the 21" as well, I new about the 19" recall a while back.

I must check if the 21" is a different tread pattern, if the same as the 19" I might chuck one on my old KLE in the future (but I do like the Mefo so far for it).

Cheers,
Ock.

"All roads lead to now."

Old 03-02-2013, 04:30 AM   #11
gsd4me
90% bluff

The only tyres that are being recalled are the tubeless versions of the E07 in 19 inch, none other. If you have one of these on the front of your big BMW chookie or V Strom, you should put a tube in it ASAP. Any other Mitas tyre is not affected by the recall.

Below is a post from the Australian Distributors taken from the Mitas thread in our Vendors forum.

The Czech tyre producer Mitas is voluntarily recalling 1,752 tubeless E-07 motorcycle tyres from the market. These tyres were sold to customers mostly in Europe. The tyre sizes subject to recall are:

110/80-19 M/C 59T E-07 TL MI
100/90-19 M/C 57T E-07 TL MI
110/80-19 M/C 59T E-07 DAKAR TL MI

Under extreme conditions the affected tyres can suddenly lose air pressure. Customers can determine whether their tyre is subject to recall by checking the brand name “MITAS”, tyre name “E-07,” inscription “tubeless” and DOT codes ranging from 0111 through to 4812, on the tyre sidewall. No other Mitas tyres are affected.

All customers are advised to contact the point of purchase to discuss options for replacement.

As the Australian distributor, I can tell you that just over 100 of these tyres were sold here. We never brought in the Dakar version, so we are only talking about the two sizes of regular E-07. Prior to June 2012, all of the 100/90-19 size we sold were tube-type (and are unaffected by the recall). From June onwards, we sold the tubeless version. The 110/80-19 has always been tubeless, and we first sold those in December 2011. Therefore, certainly in Australia, the recall affects ALL (and only) TUBELESS 19" E-07 that were sold here.

In 15 years of selling Mitas motorcycle, agricultural and industrial tyres, this is our first ever recall. It is unfortunate, but these things happen and we just want to get the suspect tyres off the streets and to keep riders safe and happy.

All of the dealers that bought these tyres have of course been notified, and we are in the process of speaking to each one of them to follow up. We've already identified a number of tyres that were sitting on dealers' shelves and others that have already been replaced, so we're getting there. Mitas notified the authorities in each of their sales territories as part of their recall procedure, including the ACCC here in Australia. We have found them to be extremely helpful, and they are satisfied with the steps we are taking.

If you, or anyone you know, has fitted 19" E-07 front tyres within the last 2 years, PLEASE ask them to check whether they are the tubeless or tube type construction. If tubeless, they should stop using the tyre immediately and contact their dealer to arrange a replacement. Although Mitas have indicated that the problem is eliminated by using a tube (and we believe about half of these tyres would have been fitted with tubes), our concern is that a tyre could be taken off and find itself being re-used later without a tube. Therefore these tyres need to be destroyed.

We will gladly give you a brand new tyre in exchange for the destruction of your old one.

Again, please contact your dealer in the first instance, but if you have any problems or questions you can contact us directly on 1300 733 031.

gsd4me screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 04:40 AM
Old 03-02-2013, 04:45 AM   #12
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
The only tyres that are being recalled are the tubeless versions of the E07 in 19 inch, none other. If you have one of these on the front of your big BMW chookie or V Strom, you should put a tube in it ASAP. Any other Mitas tyre is not affected by the recall.
The Australian importer of Mitas tyres has specifically requested TUBES NOT TO BE FITTED in the recalled tyres.

They don't want anyone to have a recurrence of the problem at a later date if someone decides to remove the tube and refit the tyre as a tubeless [such as a new owner if the bike is sold].

See post #785 by motorcycletyres AU in the Mitas Tyres thread in the Oz Vendors section.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...689869&page=53

"All roads lead to now."

Old 03-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
gsd4me
90% bluff

Quote:
The Australian importer of Mitas tyres has specifically requested TUBES NOT TO BE FITTED in the recalled tyres.

They don't want anyone to have a recurrence of the problem at a later date if someone decides to remove the tube and refit the tyre as a tubeless [such as a new owner if the bike is sold].

See post #785 by motorcycletyres AU in the Mitas Tyres thread in the Oz Vendors section.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...689869&page=53

The tube is only a stop gap measure until a new tyre can be supplied.

gsd4me screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 12:40 PM
Old 03-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
The tube is only a stop gap measure until a new tyre can be supplied.
I'm wasn't having a go at you mate, sorry if it seemed that way.

I was merely trying to keep the thread as up to date as possible with information.

There are large threads running on several forums regarding the Mitas recall, but new threads like this one still keep popping up.
Those of us "in the know" should try to bring the OP's of the new threads up to speed on the issue ASAP.

As I was lucky and got a Mefo front rather than the Mitas, I thought I'd also mention it as an option for a replacement.

If I had been caught by the recall I probably would have chucked a tube in but scraped the word "tubeless" off the tyre sidewall to avoid the risk for someone else if I sold the bike.

One of the guys on Stromtrooper had his front let go at 100kph, he survived to post about it unscathed, very lucky.

Not something I'd like to experience myself, and I'm not sure I would have managed to keep the bike up in his situation either.

"All roads lead to now."

Old 03-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #15
Happy Snapper OP
GOMOB.

Quote:
I'm wasn't having a go at you mate, sorry if it seemed that way.

I was merely trying to keep the thread as up to date as possible with information.

There are large threads running on several forums regarding the Mitas recall, but new threads like this one still keep popping up.
Those of us "in the know" should try to bring the OP's of the new threads up to speed on the issue ASAP.

As I was lucky and got a Mefo front rather than the Mitas, I thought I'd also mention it as an option for a replacement.

If I had been caught by the recall I probably would have chucked a tube in but scraped the word "tubeless" off the tyre sidewall to avoid the risk for someone else if I sold the bike.

One of the guys on Stromtrooper had his front let go at 100kph, he survived to post about it unscathed, very lucky.

Not something I'd like to experience myself, and I'm not sure I would have managed to keep the bike up in his situation either.
As the OP on this.. I rang the distributor to find out when replacements would be available.. they told me late March/early April.. and NOT to put a tube in it. They also were very firm about not riding the bike. Not knowing at the time the weather gods would stuff my ride plans, I paid to have a Heidenau fitted to the front. When i get the new Mitas back, I'll hang it in the shed until the rear Mitas wears out and then replace that and have the "spare" new one fitted at the same time.

These things happen I guess.. humans are involved in the production of the tyres.. and humans make mistakes.