Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #16
dhallilama OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
why? jetting problems? did you do 2 boyesen ports or just one ? did the yz already have 1 boyesen port? the it's i have have one, and was planning on doing the other side....
neither the IT jug nor the YZ jug sitting here had any boyesen ports. the IT is a '77 and i hear the YZ came off of a '77 as well (but not positive).

i did 2 boyesen ports... pretty happy with it now. it was the open filter that was causing the headaches (as i kinda reckoned it may). now that it's got the stock airbox & jetted right, it pulls pretty good down low and has great throttle response. happy with the porting.

edit: here's the only 2 pics i can find of the porting... this is during the process. no pics of the jug complete.

dhallilama screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 12:30 AM
dhallilama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #17
pdxjim
Two Stroke Terror

Oddometer: 121
14th Annual SFRC 2T RIDE is coming up September 21.

Are you on our mailing list?

sang-froidribingclub.com
pdxjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #18
dhallilama OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxjim View Post
14th Annual SFRC 2T RIDE is coming up September 21.

Are you on our mailing list?

sang-froidribingclub.com
yeah... somewhat know some SFRC folk, too. andrew services the espresso machine at my wife's cafe, i roam into see see at times...

i keep trying to make it to *something* but rarely have free time. one day... one day...
Old 08-17-2013, 03:43 AM   #19
Kevin K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
You are a pretty talented person. Who rewinds thier own stator? ,What does it take to make a seat fresh like that again? Is the blue foam a different density? The original bike was a pretty good base for being from 1977. I think a TT500 tank would look good too.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #20
dhallilama OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
You are a pretty talented person. Who rewinds thier own stator? ,What does it take to make a seat fresh like that again? Is the blue foam a different density? The original bike was a pretty good base for being from 1977. I think a TT500 tank would look good too.
thanks!

who rewinds their own stator? cheap stubborn SOBs like me
doing it myself was about $4 in material + an hour of my time, vs $125 from ricky stator for their high output version.

i think this is about the 10th motorcycle seat i've done and none of them have been great. cheap, though! it's marine grade nagahyde (or some knock-off brand), stitched with UV safe polyester upholstery thread on my wife's sewing maching.
the blue foam is closed cell... left over from another seat i made. it's from a yoga or pilates mat.
the upholstery on the seat isn't perfect... not by a long shot. i'm a hack when it comes to stiching, but i'm trying to get better at it.

this tank was $10 at a swap meet. turned out to be more bondo than anything... but it'll do.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #21
dhallilama OP
Gnarly Adventurer

today with 65f air temp, near sea level, 30in baro... finally got a good baseline jetting. FINALLY.

'77 YZ 250 jug/piston
modified IT 250 pipe

VM38
#30 pilot, air screw 1.5 turns out
#330 main
2.0 slide
can't remember what needle is in it at the moment.

motul 710 @ 40:1 with a good amount of residual oil after a typical jaunt.
87 octane (no signs of detonation... yet... but it's also cool out)

starts cold or hot in 1 kick. rips along nicely from off idle to WOT. stoked. almost shit myself when it came on the pipe so early... it's been running smooth, but never what i thought it should be up high, until today.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #22
jimroid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Very cool project.Always like to see someone turn junk into something nice and useful.I did the extra reed ports,mild porting, a bigger carb,Boyeson reeds and a chunky K&N on my '74 DT360.Yours is looking great.
jimroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #23
dhallilama OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimroid View Post
Very cool project.Always like to see someone turn junk into something nice and useful.I did the extra reed ports,mild porting, a bigger carb,Boyeson reeds and a chunky K&N on my '74 DT360.Yours is looking great.
thanks!
i'm still not sure mine's nice or useful... kinda fun, though. kept my hands busy in between other projects, and i have times where i need that busy.

right now that busy thing is finish carpentry on our 100 year old craftsman style house. i'm aching to get back in the garage, though... want to finish this bike, i've a 60s mini bike to finish for my daughter, gonna need another project bike after that...
Old 09-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #24
dhallilama OP
Gnarly Adventurer

first commute day on the IT.

the headlight fell off, tail light stopped working, sputters mid throttle under load, realized there's no rear-view mirror, wheelies when it gets on the pipe... all around, a good shake down run!

edit: and then there was this. started running rough. felt lean. then rich. then lean. lowered the needle clip to be on the safe side. kept loosing power. then noticed the oil all over my leg. right. that's not normal. left side of the motor was covered... oil coming from the head gasket. got me home, though.

on the plus side, it took literally 10 minutes to strip the bike down to this point. i love old 2 strokes. pull seat, tank, pipe, 6 nuts and the head is off. i probably could have left the seat and tank on. my almost 4 year old son helped.

dhallilama screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 10:25 PM
Old 09-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #25
MORT666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Should have a reed block on the air intake after the carb.
MORT666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #26
dhallilama OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORT666 View Post
Should have a reed block on the air intake after the carb.
aaaaand it does. even has fancy ass new reeds on it.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #27
dhallilama OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Nice IT You get your new problem sorted?
yup- i knew what it was the second i saw the oil and had the high/hanging idle.
i *hoped* it was just the base gasket, but *knew* it was the boyesen port on the left side.
when i ported it, i knew it was really close to the exterior of the jug. after some heat/cool cycles it cracked and formed a leak.

to fix, i drilled it out from the outside, tapped it... used a set screw, coated the threads with the all mighty JB weld. once it cures i'll drill the port on that side again (which will go partially through the set screw). for what it's worth, JB has a working temp of 500f... i've used it to raise/shape intake ports on motors that run a lot hotter than this, with success. figure it'll do the job. where's my beer?
Old 10-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #28
dhallilama OP
Gnarly Adventurer

the stock headlight, even with an H1 bulb, sucked... so this.

30 minutes to fab a headlight bracket (mild steel)
grabbed a BLC accessory light out of my stash
put a cheap ECE wide flood lamp with an H1 bulb
should be MOAR light now.

the tabs on the side are for a lamp guard that i'll make eventually...

next... i want to raise the forks again, longer YZ rear shock... and i just know i'll stumble across large case YZ400 motor one of these days... or hell, a 490. i'm a fabricator. anything fits anything

dhallilama screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 04:26 PM
Old 10-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #29
dhallilama OP
Gnarly Adventurer

since i've been using it for commuting and riding all over town, figured some mirrors were needed... $4 later, i've got 'em!

just some cheap ass blind spot mirrors from the parts house, drilled some holes in the back, busted out the zip ties... a bit of innertube to keep 'em from sliding around... done. sorta ghetto, but they actually work pretty well.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #30
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
You have skills

The IT in the thread title caught my eye. I love ITs! One of these blue moons I'll find a decent one for a build.

You have got some great shade tree skills! From porting to seats...thats really great. I have to ask (because I've had it on my todo list forever) do you use one of those heavy duty sewing machines or just a regular old singer type? I always wonder if the home ones have the horsepower to do seat material.

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is offline   Reply With Quote