ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #16
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
Still kind of looking into this myself and came across this radio manual for the Kenwood TM-710A:
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/...S_EchoLink.pdf

Look at section 11.4 - pretty cool stuff! (Though the AvMap may be a bit unweildy on a bike.)

I'm thinking the TM-710A would do the same w/ the Montana using the NMEA output format, but sans the extra Kenwood 'Tactical' fields. Though the TM-710A seems like it's workable on the bike, I would've liked an IPX rating like the Yaesu FTM-10 (but doesn't have the APRS features).
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #17
AVGeek94
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I've made up my mind to use the Kenwood TH-D72A on the bike...its a handheld with an integrated GPS, but can also accept the serial data from the Montana.
AVGeek94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #18
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

That's funny...I was just looking at that HT yesterday and thinking it might just be the easier way to go, since it has the dedicated data port and all (IPX rated, too). There's a local 'Ham Fest' here in NJ next weekend. I'm thinking I'll go and pick people's brains...
Old 04-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #19
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
That's funny...I was just looking at that HT yesterday and thinking it might just be the easier way to go, since it has the dedicated data port and all (IPX rated, too). There's a local 'Ham Fest' here in NJ next weekend. I'm thinking I'll go and pick people's brains...
i have absolutely no idea why but i am fascinated with this.I dont even have a gps!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:29 AM   #20
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Legally, you can't use a marine radio on land. But, in reading up on HAM / APRS, I think APRS can be used for similar functionality. You'll need a ham license, though...
You can use it for anything that is non-commercial. Almost all of the rules regarding the use of Amature Radio Frequencies, transmission modes, and activities are located in Title 47, part 97 of the FCC Rules and Regulations. Link Here to a pdf .

The ARRL is sort of the NRA of Ham radio and a good source of information, support, etc.

I must say that I don't really understand this thread, I am not sure what the desired goal is it seems to be able to post your movements to be seen by the public. If that is the case there may be a few pitfalls. Coverage being one of them.

You can send messages, sms style but realize that you can not broadcast. In other words your transmissions must be intended for consumption by licensed operators. That still doesn't mean that you can't use it for this purpose in sort of a way.
wb5plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:36 AM   #21
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
that could be a handy feature on a group ride.Are there really compact radios that can do this?
so compact you wouldn't believe it. not to mention the simple issue of if more riders where ham radio operators you can communicate with a simple tiny ht on 2m nearly 50 miles if it is line of sight. it blows the functionality of bluetooth intercoms completely away. but as I said no one else I know is a rider and a ham radio operator. so I have never bothered to set up my radio on my bike.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:38 AM   #22
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
i have absolutely no idea why but i am fascinated with this.I dont even have a gps!
find a NZ Ham. and get a feel for it. there are lots of aspects to Ham radio. but don't think that it is an appliance that can be mastered quickly. as the saying goes. "Some fiddling required". but then that is part of the fun.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #23
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb5plj View Post
You can use it for anything that is non-commercial. Almost all of the rules regarding the use of Amature Radio Frequencies, transmission modes, and activities are located in Title 47, part 97 of the FCC Rules and Regulations. Link Here to a pdf .

The ARRL is sort of the NRA of Ham radio and a good source of information, support, etc.

I must say that I don't really understand this thread, I am not sure what the desired goal is it seems to be able to post your movements to be seen by the public. If that is the case there may be a few pitfalls. Coverage being one of them.

You can send messages, sms style but realize that you can not broadcast. In other words your transmissions must be intended for consumption by licensed operators. That still doesn't mean that you can't use it for this purpose in sort of a way.
Check your PDF, sec 97.301 Authorized frequency bands. Marine VHF Frequencies (156-162 MHz) are not included in the Amatuer bands. I think it's Part 80 of the FCC regs that regulate Marine VHF (Maritime Mobile Service), while Part 97 covers the Amatuer Bands. This link will tell you that land-based Marine stations do need to be licensed
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ind...me&id=maritime
and
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ind...Radios on Land

Re: the thread, I just think it would be cool to be able to ride around and see, on my GPS, where other stations are in the area. If I broadcast my location (which is OK, AFAIK, as it seems to fall under the heading of 'telemetry' in the rules) that's OK too. Other hams can see me driving along Rt. X and call and ask how the traffic is if they want, while my family can track me via a website if they so choose. Digipeaters can increase the range of an APRS transmission significantly. If you can get a group of riders similarly equiped, the group can ride and keep track of each other on their GPS units. All without any reliance on cell coverage.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #24
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,883
Quote:

One of the ways APRS comes in handy is for bicycle events where ham operators are providing the communication for the event. It allows Net Control to easily keep tabs on where each of their ham guys are that have APRS and therefore if they need to dispatch someone, instead of having to spend 5 mins figuring out who is the closest, they just look at APRS and go by that.

There's one even I participate in where there's usually about 30+ hams working the event and they strongly recommend having APRS for that event.

I've only been running APRS off my Android using APRSDroid, but technically its only visible by people on the internet using it on a cell phone. However, I have a buddy that runs a repeater and is heavily into ARPS and he filters just for my call & rebroadcasts my beacon over the air so I am picked up by the digipeaters, etc and guys listening on the APRS frequency. That has helped me during some of these bicycle events.

Of course to get that to work, you have to have cell service which is sometimes lacking and is the whole point of APRS is it works as long as your signal is heard by a digipeater.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #25
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
so compact you wouldn't believe it. not to mention the simple issue of if more riders where ham radio operators you can communicate with a simple tiny ht on 2m nearly 50 miles if it is line of sight. it blows the functionality of bluetooth intercoms completely away. but as I said no one else I know is a rider and a ham radio operator. so I have never bothered to set up my radio on my bike.
There's another thread on ADV I think, but I'm setup with the Yaesu FTM-10SR motorcycle ham rig. There is also the FTM-10R version. the SR is the 10w version and both the faceplate and the body are waterprood/dustproof. The 10R version is a full 50w radio with the same waterproof face plate, but the body isn't so it needs to be more protected. These radio also accept a BT chip which syncs with many of the BT helmets out there, or you can use Sena's SR10 BT hub with a PTT switch and easily add in a Ham radio to your BT comm setup.

The SR10 works better as it doesn't tie up your BT helmet comm being connected to the radio 100% of the time. If you sync directly to the FTM10 through the BT chip, it thinks you are on a phone call which is the highest priority, so you can never do an intercom, etc like that. I use the SR10 with my VX-7, but still need to set it up to use with my FTM-10. I've also used various FRS radios with the SR10 and that works well too.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #26
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:

Quote:
Check your PDF, sec 97.301 Authorized frequency bands. Marine VHF Frequencies (156-162 MHz) are not included in the Amatuer bands. I think it's Part 80 of the FCC regs that regulate Marine VHF (Maritime Mobile Service), while Part 97 covers the Amatuer Bands. This link will tell you that land-based Marine stations do need to be licensed
and
I had to read that again too, but I "think" he had switched back over talking about APRS and referring to using that in any "non-commercial" way and governed by the ARRL.

My understanding is exactly like yours that Marine frequencies do not fall inside the Amateur radio licensing.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #27
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:

Quote:
and
I had to read that again too, but I "think" he had switched back over talking about APRS and referring to using that in any "non-commercial" way and governed by the ARRL

My understanding is exactly like yours that Marine frequencies do not fall inside the Amateur radio licensing and you are not allowed to use them on land except for special licensed stations.

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 06:19 AM
Old 04-18-2013, 05:02 AM   #28
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
and

Yea sorry. I was refering to the ham radio rules etc. I could have worded that beter after you guys where just talking about marine. sorry about that.

Re: the thread, I just think it would be cool to be able to ride around and see, on my GPS, where other stations are in the area. If I broadcast my location (which is OK, AFAIK, as it seems to fall under the heading of 'telemetry' in the rules) that's OK too. Other hams can see me driving along Rt. X and call and ask how the traffic is if they want, while my family can track me via a website if they so choose. Digipeaters can increase the range of an APRS transmission significantly. If you can get a group of riders similarly equiped, the group can ride and keep track of each other on their GPS units. All without any reliance on cell coverage.
yep this is correct. except for the broadcast part. you still can't broadcast. but you are correct as you are intending to communicate with other hams (as per your senerio above) it is not broadcasting in that case. as I said I was just unsure the intended use etc.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:08 AM   #29
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
I had to read that again too, but I "think" he had switched back over talking about APRS and referring to using that in any "non-commercial" way and governed by the ARRL.

Yep, sorry about that my bad I guess. I was speaking of HAM radio.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #30
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
There's another thread on ADV I think, but I'm setup with the Yaesu FTM-10SR motorcycle ham rig. There is also the FTM-10R version. the SR is the 10w version and both the faceplate and the body are waterprood/dustproof. The 10R version is a full 50w radio with the same waterproof face plate, but the body isn't so it needs to be more protected. These radio also accept a BT chip which syncs with many of the BT helmets out there, or you can use Sena's SR10 BT hub with a PTT switch and easily add in a Ham radio to your BT comm setup.

The SR10 works better as it doesn't tie up your BT helmet comm being connected to the radio 100% of the time. If you sync directly to the FTM10 through the BT chip, it thinks you are on a phone call which is the highest priority, so you can never do an intercom, etc like that. I use the SR10 with my VX-7, but still need to set it up to use with my FTM-10. I've also used various FRS radios with the SR10 and that works well too.
yep there are a lot of options out there. and what doesn't exist hams will build. it is nice to see some manufactures building (at least one) specifically for motorcycles, I hadn't seen that Yeasu was making that one until you guys mentioned it, but I don't do a lot of UHF/VHF mostly just HF. I didn't fail to reckognize the ease of the SR10 idea. if I am using my dual band HT or if I where to use FRS type radios with other riders etc. it makes it look very easy and could be fairly portable from bike to bike. but like I said in my area not a lot of activity and to my knowledge no other moto-hams out there. and I don't want to try HF on my bike though I do like the mental image of a 10m antenna off the back of the bike