ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 06:22 AM   #31
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb5plj View Post
yep there are a lot of options out there. and what doesn't exist hams will build. it is nice to see some manufactures building (at least one) specifically for motorcycles, I hadn't seen that Yeasu was making that one until you guys mentioned it, but I don't do a lot of UHF/VHF mostly just HF. I didn't fail to reckognize the ease of the SR10 idea. if I am using my dual band HT or if I where to use FRS type radios with other riders etc. it makes it look very easy and could be fairly portable from bike to bike. but like I said in my area not a lot of activity and to my knowledge no other moto-hams out there. and I don't want to try HF on my bike though I do like the mental image of a 10m antenna off the back of the bike
Yeah, the Sena SR10 makes things very portable and can be used with all kinds of FRS type radio's. They have quite the assortment of plugs already out there for all types of FRS Radio's. Since the SR10 actually connects with a standard HFP headset profile, it actually pairs with non Sena BT headsets. However, Sena has really spent a lot of time getting the SR10 to work with their Sena SMH10 or SMH5 BT headsets and they gave them the extra HFP profile specifically so you could still connect your smart phone directly into the mix and the SR10 wouldn't cause that to disconnect.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #32
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,813
I want to hear more about the APRS and the Montana? Have people confirmed it works like the Garmin 350 I think it was? Anyway, the Garmin Nuvi that APRS worked with had fleet management built in and this made it very easy to see APRS beacons on the GPS so you could see where other Ham ops were or even see messages being sent by APRS and I believe you could send messages too?
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #33
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
I don't think you can get all the features of the 350 w/ the Montana. From what I've been reading, the Garmin Fleet Management uses a proprietary data protocol that is seemingly supported by most Kenwood radios, but oddly, only some Garmin units. To transfer data to the Montana, an NMEA protocol is used, which doesn't have all the same data fields as the Garmin protocol, so your info displayed is a little more limited (i.e., no custom icons, as with a Kenwood radio and an AvMap). With the NMEA protocol, the data is simply shown as a Waypoint, but from what I understand, it will work, though I don't have the radio yet to try it.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #34
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek94 View Post
Boy, look what I started!

I've been researching APRS for use on my bike when traveling, since I first came across this as an option on Spotwalla. Basically, APRS is a means of automatically transmitting a message using amateur radio technology. In the US, APRS is transmitted on 144.300MHz. Using APRS requires an amateur radio (ham) license.

In the course of my research, I found that some GPS units have the capability of sharing data with a properly equipped radio or translation box using the NMEA serial protocol standard. I became interested in it when I found that the Garmin Montana is one of those units, and that the serial port is available on the Rugged Mount (meaning, I could mount some hardware hidden on my bike that would interface with the Garmin and a radio to broadcast my location when traveling).

I posed the question on the Montana thread about using the serial data lines to see if anyone here has done this before. I am by no means an expert in amateur radio (I've had my tech class license for over 10 years now, but haven't really kept up with the hobby), so I was looking for guidance.
Have you tried to contact a local ham radio club. I don't know where you are but they are just about everywhere. depending on where you are (a larger area) they may even have a club dedicated to APRS. It likely doesn't mater mater that it is on a bike you just need some help with building or implementing the TNC and hooking it to the radio (er, so it can transmit). they know about that. short of that try posting on a ham radio forum as well.

They, being familiar with aprs and developed several type of implementations could help you come up with an idea you may not have come up with. you can use almost any radio by the way you can make something like hamHUD to display the data.

that might help, I am actually surprised more ham/riders are not on this site. maybe they just haven't found the thread.
wb5plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #35
AVGeek94
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb5plj View Post
Have you tried to contact a local ham radio club. I don't know where you are but they are just about everywhere. depending on where you are (a larger area) they may even have a club dedicated to APRS. It likely doesn't mater mater that it is on a bike you just need some help with building or implementing the TNC and hooking it to the radio (er, so it can transmit). they know about that. short of that try posting on a ham radio forum as well.

They, being familiar with aprs and developed several type of implementations could help you come up with an idea you may not have come up with. you can use almost any radio by the way you can make something like hamHUD to display the data.

that might help, I am actually surprised more ham/riders are not on this site. maybe they just haven't found the thread.
It's been going in fits and spurts, and hasn't been around long. I am in Phoenix, so have found a few ham clubs here, just been busy with work so haven't followed up on those resources.

One item I did find VERY helpful on APRS was this guide from Kenwood:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/...anual_APRS.pdf

Primarily written for the D72A handheld, its actually a very detailed APRS "FAQ" book that highlights some of the things APRS is capable of supporting. It was one of the factors that swayed me to this Kenwood model.
AVGeek94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #36
Zilg0
31337 H4x0r

Oddometer: 29
I have been happy with my TH-D72A, it's a nice and rugged HT, easy to open up to use on MURS & FRS/GMRS.

I have used the 72A with a Mirrage DB-35 and Comet CA-2x4SR antenna on my 03' F650GS Dakar, with good results.

For furthur reading on setting up motorcycle mobile check out these two sites...
http://www.wd6cmu.antennalaunchers.com/mm_radio.html
http://marc-hq.org/

National US APRS Frequency is 144.3900Mhz, If you want your traffic gated to the internet then you gots to be on this one... or you could set 145.8250Mhz and digi via the International Space Station(when it can hear you)!

I have been looking into getting a Garmin GPS so as I can route/Track on dirt roads/woods, I have a Byonics Tinytrack4(Easy and fun Kit) that I think I will just hook up to a cheep 5w Wuxun (less than $60).

With a graphical GPS most all APRS Trackers will output NEMA to the GPS which will show other stations heard as way-points, so you can keep an eye on buddies if you are out as a group
Old 05-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #37
MicroAdventure
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Addressing various issues raised in this thread in no particular order:

Capitalize APRS. do not capitalize ham, please.

Cost: $155 USD, with half of that a dedicated GPS puck

Why: If you come across a problem way the heck and gone out in the middle of nowhere you can pinpoint your location when you call in the cavalry. You can have a friend monitor your progress out in the ginglyweeds, or reassure a nervous Nellie companion back at the casa.

I use one of these: $69

http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak/gps.php

one of these: $48

http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak/ttsmt.php

and an inexpensive 2 meter radio ( not one of these, but these would do just fine ): $38

http://www.kc2ra.org/index.php/techn...g-uv-3r-review

The end result: ( set Track Tail Length to 24 hours for maximum activity )

http://aprs.fi/#!lat=35.1&lng=-106.6

If necessary you can vector Officer Friendly to http://aprs.fi and direct them to enter your call sign in the Track Call Sign box, top right of the screen. Et voila - you are here: X - no need to talk them in to your position.

You do not need to broadcast your location. You can bury your ham call sign in a block of text sent through the system, and broadcast a bogus ID like MicroAdventure.

You can program the TNC - the interface between GPS & radio - with 2 programs. some people set one up to transmit every 3 minutes or if you turn more than 45 degrees suddenly. the other is set up to transmit once a minute, for very granular tracking. This is very rude in a big city.

I set one up to ID with my amateur radio call sign, and transmit every 3 minutes or when I turn 60 degrees. The other one transmits a nickname as an ID, and also transmits when I release the brake. Detailed tracking without hogging bandwidth.

1 each in the Bronco, Baja bug and Westfalia, putting one on the CT110 this weekend.

MicroAdventure screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 07:28 PM
MicroAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote