User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #31
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Stabilize and Store

I recently spent a few hours catching up on The Walking Dead episodes that I'd never seen. Being a gearhead, I kept thinking that in the days and weeks after they became aware of the extent of the "disease", they should have raided every AutoZone within 500 miles, got all the Pri-G and Stabil they could've laid their hands on, and stabilized and stored as much fuel as possible. It should have been Priority One (..right after making sure they didn't get eaten by Zombies)

Energy is what makes our modern world go 'round. Cars, trucks and vans can move us around, provide shelter, power generators and radio transmitters, run sawmills, heat hot water (via heat exchangers), run compressors for air conditioners, run air compressors for air tools, and about a million other things. Motorcycles can do many of the same things, and they would probably make better "scout" vehicles in a zombie apocolypse scenario.

I know someone is going to say guns and ammo should be Priority One. I'd agree that they should be right up near the top of the list, but there's probably 200 million guns in this country. In a scenario like this they would be lying in the streets, until they were gathered up by the survivors. But guns and ammo don't go bad in time, at least not the guns and ammo stored indoors. Fuel has a limited shelf life. Stabilize and store it while the gettin's good.

Before the gasoline went bad, the smart survivors would probably want to set up their community near an underground natural gas storage field. These are natural gas fields that have been exhausted, but their geology makes them perfect as storage vessels. Gas companies compress natural gas, re-inject it back into the exhausted field, and release it again in times of high demand. A small community could run for many years off of a good-sized field.

HandKPhil screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 07:29 PM
HandKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #32
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
DR650 with a Safari 10 gallon gas tank, Cogent reworked suspension, luggage, and an 18" rear wheel. Not the most efficient, but simple, light-ish, durable, no breakable plastics, huge range, and able to do 80mph all day long if needed. Better off-road than a KLR yet still able to do big highway. No water based cooling system to fail, no doohickey, no fancy computers, no boutique suspension, no ABS crap to die. Simple valve adjustments. Change oil, add gas, and ride.....

FB
The only reason the DR gets picked for off road over a KLR is the lighter weight. Probably about the same if you add a 10 gallon tank. And I love how you add all this after market suspension work to the DR and yet put the doohickey as a negative to the KLR. You do realize once you replace it you never have to do it again right? I will agree the air/oil cooled is an advantage as no water pump to break. But a diesel bike is way more practical then a gas one no matter the manufacturer.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #33
SUNTZU OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
i pull this out my garage and fit right in...and yes it is in MY garage

I'd take this over any modern bike with an ECU. Being a former H-D guy, I know these motors and their capabilities....or sometimes, the lack of. Definitely, have to put a muffler on this one. "Loud Pipes save lives", maybe so but in this apocalypse, it sounds more like a, dinner bell, lol
SUNTZU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #34
SUNTZU OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
Honda Sl 70. Does 50 mph, Great gas mileage, Runs forever with no care. And if it does run out of gas I can backpack it. OH, and if the Zombies do attack I can swing it around as a weapon.
Great choice! I had a small cc bike on my list as well. Quite, nimble and very reliable
Old 03-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #35
SUNTZU OP
Adventurer

Quote:
DR650 with a Safari 10 gallon gas tank, Cogent reworked suspension, luggage, and an 18" rear wheel. Not the most efficient, but simple, light-ish, durable, no breakable plastics, huge range, and able to do 80mph all day long if needed. Better off-road than a KLR yet still able to do big highway. No water based cooling system to fail, no doohickey, no fancy computers, no boutique suspension, no ABS crap to die. Simple valve adjustments. Change oil, add gas, and ride.....

FB
No doubt, a DR650 is a worthy bike to have in the apocalypse!
Personally, I'd stick with 17" rear wheel cause its a very popular size, in general.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #36
SUNTZU OP
Adventurer

Quote:
So if we're seriously going down the road from West Africa to Walking Dead, you want a large tank. IMO even the Road Warrior understood this: if/when you find fuel odds are it will be a cache large enough to hoard as much as you can carry. So large tanks make sense.

Beyond that, if things degrade below 4th world status my plan is to have some really good meds and two bullets in my pocket. One for my wife....
I'd line, the inside of my aluminum panniers with a fuel bladder. Should be good for another, 10 gallons or so.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #37
SUNTZU OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandKPhil View Post
I recently spent a few hours catching up on The Walking Dead episodes that I'd never seen. Being a gearhead, I kept thinking that in the days and weeks after they became aware of the extent of the "disease", they should have raided every AutoZone within 500 miles, got all the Pri-G and Stabil they could've laid their hands on, and stabilized and stored as much fuel as possible. It should have been Priority One (..right after making sure they didn't get eaten by Zombies)

Energy is what makes our modern world go 'round. Cars, trucks and vans can move us around, provide shelter, power generators and radio transmitters, run sawmills, heat hot water (via heat exchangers), run compressors for air conditioners, run air compressors for air tools, and about a million other things. Motorcycles can do many of the same things, and they would probably make better "scout" vehicles in a zombie apocolypse scenario.

I know someone is going to say guns and ammo should be Priority One. I'd agree that they should be right up near the top of the list, but there's probably 200 million guns in this country. In a scenario like this they would be lying in the streets, until they were gathered up by the survivors. But guns and ammo don't go bad in time, at least not the guns and ammo stored indoors. Fuel has a limited shelf life. Stabilize and store it while the gettin's good.

Before the gasoline went bad, the smart survivors would probably want to set up their community near an underground natural gas storage field. These are natural gas fields that have been exhausted, but their geology makes them perfect as storage vessels. Gas companies compress natural gas, re-inject it back into the exhausted field, and release it again in times of high demand. A small community could run for many years off of a good-sized field.
Lol! I was saying the same thing to my friend, that night. "Dude, we got to get all the fuel stabil we can find".
Old 03-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #38
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhode trip View Post
The Zombie Stomper, of course!

Build info: http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...__1#entry19473

If I had to choose a bike for survival. The TW would be very hard to beat.
Set up a spare carb for alcohol, so you could distill your own fuel.
Once the bike is topped off, you could sanitize wounds or have a drink.
I wouldn't want a bike that weighed any more, because I would be in the deep woods.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #39
SUNTZU OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseli4i6 View Post
I wouldn't want a bike that weighed any more, because I would be in the deep woods.
Thats a great point! I like where this is heading
Old 03-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #40
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
i pull this out my garage and fit right in...and yes it is in MY garage

Didn't I see you in San Venganza lately?

Hip Hip to your bike
Old 03-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #41
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseli4i6 View Post
Great post.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #42
jeepsandbikes
loneadventurer

Oddometer: 115
hands down klr diesel .. jp8 = burn anything .. fuel will vanish fast .. very fast .. jp8 will burn anything .. I was just discussing this with someone else . I want everything diesel , old mechanical oil burners like early 90's dodge cummins .. when all those gas cars are dead and out of gas , each one still has 5L of oil in the motor .. that oil will burn in a old diesel .. thats thousands of litres all over the place .. veg oil in supermarkets , any oil you can get your hands on basically .. the jp8 goes one further and burns Kerosene white fuel ect ..
Old 03-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #43
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,144

Here is the ultimate end of world bike:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XWORIuNSPg

Best outfitted with a harpoon gun and a flaming chain whip.

And you might check out Trevor Williams 100% bio-diesel:
http://www.choicequote.co.uk/enfield_bullet_diesel.asp
Claims a whopping 170-200mpg for a range of 600-700 miles to the stock fuel tank! Hopping without stopping.
Stunning sound and the smell of fish and chips will sap whatever fighting spirit left in adversaries.

Any way Diesel is the way. Military grade preferably.
The smog will give the landscape that haze and gloom for the perfect photo opp.
Don't forget to post a pic here.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #44
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
I'll admit that I love Diesels. I have a ole 12 valve Cummins that gets great fuel mileage with around or over 600,000 miles on it now.
If the diesel KLR were available, I would have one in the garage already.
But the bad thing about the HDT is they are unattainable by us common folk.
If you can't get one, then it won't be that great for you!
If you are waiting for this bike, you may have already lost the EOW battle for survival. One of those moto mule trailers would come in handy also.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #45
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Gary Fisher 27 speed mountain bike...