User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
vicster OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
New 990 Must Do's?

I'm looking to buy a new 990 and am wondering what is recomended I do as the new owner ASAP. I assume at least the usual check for loose bolts, etc.
I remember reading recomendations though that one should do several coolant flushes to remove casting sand to prolong water pump life. Is this still felt to be necessary?
Thanks for your time.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
Get a side stand relocater.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
It's my understanding that the newer bikes don't have the casting problems of the older ones, and don't require flushing. I just bought a '12, and had a couple issues. The coolant wasn't burped right and it overheated on the first ride, but once the air was out of the system and coolant to the proper level it was fine. The genius that installed the crash bars at the dealer also smashed the 02 sensor wires, but I repaired those as well. Every new bike might have similar hiccups, loose bolts, fluid level issues, etc. Go through all of the user level checks when you get it home and do some short rides at first checking bolts etc afterward.
tacosupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
I'm looking to buy a new 990 and am wondering what is recomended I do as the new owner ASAP. I assume at least the usual check for loose bolts, etc.
I remember reading recomendations though that one should do several coolant flushes to remove casting sand to prolong water pump life. Is this still felt to be necessary?
Thanks for your time.
Add fuel, ride, repeat.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
And if you plan on riding off road, a new skid plate.
I've had trouble with my '11 getting pretty hot, so I've installed a second fan and a lower temp thermostat.
After you have changed the oil a couple of times and checked the oil tank screen for debris, you might elect to install a braided line at the oil tank and skip checking the oil screen for every oil change.

Look through several pages of this thread to get a good idea of the popular mods. Good luck!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by el queso View Post
Add fuel, ride, repeat.
Wot he said...........

You can spend loads on these bikes, depending on your needs, tastes and budget. Do a search on here and there are loads of threads covering all manner of mods and 'farkles'.........

But honestly, it is good to go - just ride and get to know it before you start spending your money.

I would only bother with a side stand relocator and a different sump guard if you do serious off-road - and by that I mean rocky single track and rocky jeep trails. If you are just riding gravel roads, muddy tracks and fire-breaks the bike is fine as standard.

That said I have loads of mods to my bike, but the best ones are the replacement Akrapovic exhausts - the standard ones run hot and weigh loads and the bike seems to breathe better with the Akra's on - it certainly sounds better I'm sure other brands will do a similar job. I also have heated grips, the metal radiator guard and pivot pegz, among other things.

But as I say, its a personal choice and you need to get to know your bike first.

Hope you enjoy it and get the buzz we all do........
Moto Guzzi Griso
BMW HP4 Competition
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidD View Post
Wot he said...........

You can spend loads on these bikes, depending on your needs, tastes and budget. Do a search on here and there are loads of threads covering all manner of mods and 'farkles'.........

But honestly, it is good to go - just ride and get to know it before you start spending your money.

I would only bother with a side stand relocator and a different sump guard if you do serious off-road - and by that I mean rocky single track and rocky jeep trails. If you are just riding gravel roads, muddy tracks and fire-breaks the bike is fine as standard.

That said I have loads of mods to my bike, but the best ones are the replacement Akrapovic exhausts - the standard ones run hot and weigh loads and the bike seems to breathe better with the Akra's on - it certainly sounds better I'm sure other brands will do a similar job. I also have heated grips, the metal radiator guard and pivot pegz, among other things.

But as I say, its a personal choice and you need to get to know your bike first.

Hope you enjoy it and get the buzz we all do........
Some have cracked their engine cases just by getting on or off a loaded bike w/o the side stand relocator. Somewhere in here is a story of a guy who hit a rock with the stock side stand setup and cracked his case. New cases are thousands. So on that point, I'll respectfully disagree. It's worth the $80 or so to get that sorted up front.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,721
If you can spare the time, there are some useful info in here.

They are put together by knowledgeable riders and wannabe technicians.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769525
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
KatoomUSA
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Im no expert Ive had a 2010 R for two years last year I started to see a little crud deposit in the coolant overflow bottom that turned out to be a sandbox starting to gather.. Ive flushed mine for the last two oil changes and will do one more for good measure its not that difficult just time consumeing the knowledge in this thread is awesome.
KatoomUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
Taz1200

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
I see there are a few different models which one do you recommended ??...pros and cons of the different ones??
Thanks
Taz1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
vicster OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Sounds like it's really just the standard get it to the garage, read the manual and check things over.
At this point the only thing I really have on the farkle list is the sidestand relocation kit and Happy Trails side racks. One of the attractions of this bike is it's pretty much good to go as an upgrade to my DR as an all surface relatively light travel bike.

As expensive as they are, they seem to be good value compared to a Multi-Strada or having to buy suspension upgrades, etc. to the 800 Tiger or the like.

We'll see what kind of deal I can find...
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz1200 View Post
I see there are a few different models which one do you recommended ??...pros and cons of the different ones??
Thanks
They all work just fine. I have the Black Dog Cycle Works, but they all work just fine.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
DARKRYDER
NoNoob

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatoomUSA View Post
Im no expert Ive had a 2010 R for two years last year I started to see a little crud deposit in the coolant overflow bottom that turned out to be a sandbox starting to gather.. Ive flushed mine for the last two oil changes and will do one more for good measure its not that difficult just time consumeing the knowledge in this thread is awesome.
I flushed mine last weekend with 2 gallons of distilled water, the engine running and the water pump bleed screw open. Engine was fully hot and I had a large pan underneath to catch the original fluid. There was absolutely zero sand or crap in my system, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I replaced the stock coolant with straight Engine Ice and burped the system properly. Going to install a colder thermostat next.
3 Kaboom's, 3 Dudes, and a Chick ride Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Montana
Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (UTBDR & COBDR)
DARKRYDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #14
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz1200 View Post
Thanks
I have the Weld 86 reloacator (and bash plate) and it was an easy install. I think it's similar to the Black Dog.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #15
Altego
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I bought a new one last year and did the side stand re-locator and bash plate from Black Dog Cycle Works. Easy install and good for piece of mind. Beyond that and scheduled maintenance the only requirement was to ride the hell out of with not a problem to speak of. Great bike and hard to imagine that it is hitting the end of its production run.