Oddometer: 2,704
Congrats! !!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:22 AM   #32
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,482
Cool hope you got a deal one some clothing etc with it.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #33
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
Cool hope you got a deal one some clothing etc with it.
We have LOTS of riding gear... 1348 miles from where we are right now. We'll get a couple helmets and gloves and go with what we have here. I didn't think there'd be any reason to bring my Savannah (BMW jacket) on this trip, since the only "bikes" we brought are the kind you pedal.
CaptnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #34
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

We picked up the new scooters today. The dealer is about 40 minutes (if traffic is flowing well on the Interstate) away, so instead of making two trips, we picked up a U-Haul trailer on the way there and got the bikes back in one trip. We did pick up new helmets, and got some time on the scooters this afternoon.

On a guitar forum where I participate, someone recently said, "You can't be sad when you're playing a ukulele." Apparently, the same thing can be said about riding a scooter! After 4 1/2 decades of riding motorcycles, my left hand and both feet felt like they weren't doing their part in this ride. But, we both had big ol' smiles on our face. Not the "flatten-your-eyeballs" kind of acceleration of some bikes, but these things are peppy... and fun!

We got used to the feel of the bikes and the controls on some back roads instead of mixing it up with city traffic. We took turns in the lead. Yep, I think we're going to enjoy this next chapter.

We are in the desert (Phoenix area) to visit with our daughter and son-in-law. We are in an RV resort not far from their home... we enjoyed the ride there. Showed off the new scooters. After a nice meal out, rode back to our place in the dark. Yep - fun!

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

Old 03-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #35
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,646
Nice. A black one and a red one. I know from experience that the black one will be a lot harder to keep clean than the red one. I was planning on a white 2012 model, but got a white 2012 Zuma 125 instead. Hopefully you will not have to be here in the summer. It's pretty nice now, but it will be an inferno in the summer. I'm stuck with it year round.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #36
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Nice. A black one and a red one. I know from experience that the black one will be a lot harder to keep clean than the red one. I was planning on a white 2012 model, but got a white 2012 Zuma 125 instead. Hopefully you will not have to be here in the summer. It's pretty nice now, but it will be an inferno in the summer. I'm stuck with it year round.
Hi Jerry,

No, we don't plan to be in the Phoenix area in the summer. We travel quite a bit, and try to stay where "the weather suits our clothes." We plan to be in the San Juan Islands (Washington State) for the summer - these little Hondas should be fun for island hopping on the ferry.

The Blonde got to have first choice on which one she wanted. I currently have a black V-Strom, so the red was my choice anyway. It is dusty here in the Valley of the Sun; and these will be sleeping outside since we are in our RV while here. I have a small California Duster that will get a workout on both bikes.

With one day of scooter riding under my belt, I think this is going to be a lot of fun. Hoping that isn't the novelty of it talking.

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/03...sed-to-be.html

Thanks again for your suggestions, especially regarding Western Honda. Good folks. Buying these was as easy as riding them.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 03-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #37
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

One more thing: I am pretty sure we are going to want taller windshields on these. I looked at the Givi online. Any other brands we should consider?

For reference, the last time I had a motorcycle without a windshield was 1982. That little black bump on the front of the PCX looks great... doesn't do a darn thing to keep wind off your torso and face, though.

You might say I'm getting soft in my old age; I'd like to think I got smarter when bought that first dresser in '82.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #38
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
congrats

Nice rides Jim. Enjoy.

Speaking of ukeleles, my 14 year-old daughter just completed an RPM Challenge (10 original songs in 4 weeks) all done on ukelele. Check her out if you're interested.

http://rpmchallenge.com/index.php?op...511&Itemid=296

And this is some of her wackier ukelele stuff.

http://youtu.be/2ZFTkSydmoQ
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #39
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
Hi Jerry,

With one day of scooter riding under my belt, I think this is going to be a lot of fun. Hoping that isn't the novelty of it talking.

Best wishes,
Jim
Over 2 years since buying my first scooter. The novelty has worn off but the fun hasn't

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #40
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,643
Somebody here called it "transportainment." They were right.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #41
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx250sfguy View Post
Nice rides Jim. Enjoy.

Speaking of ukeleles, my 14 year-old daughter just completed an RPM Challenge (10 original songs in 4 weeks) all done on ukelele. Check her out if you're interested.

http://rpmchallenge.com/index.php?op...511&Itemid=296

And this is some of her wackier ukelele stuff.

http://youtu.be/2ZFTkSydmoQ
Great music! You must be very proud of that young lady. I've been playing guitar longer than I've been riding motorcycles (well, by a few years) - your daughter sounds like a ukulele playing version of Taylor Swift. Give her lots of encouragement - when she becomes the next sensation, she can shower you will all kinds of two-wheel fun!

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 03-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #42
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Klaviator and Jim M: Thanks for the replies - both gave me a chuckle this morning. It's going to be a nice day in the Phoenix area, a good chance to get some miles racked up!

CaptnJim screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 03:04 PM
Old 03-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #43
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
pretty sure we are going to want taller windshields on these
Something to consider . . if you lean over the handlebars to push-off the center stand, a windshield may hinder that technique.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #44
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Great music! You must be very proud of that young lady. I've been playing guitar longer than I've been riding motorcycles (well, by a few years) - your daughter sounds like a ukulele playing version of Taylor Swift. Give her lots of encouragement - when she becomes the next sensation, she can shower you will all kinds of two-wheel fun!

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Haha! That's my hope! maybe some three wheel fun too (Morgan 3 Wheeler ).

Thanks Jim. Enjoy your new scoots.
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #45
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
Something to consider . . if you lean over the handlebars to push-off the center stand, a windshield may hinder that technique.
10 or 12 times of whacking my face, and I'd probably learn a new technique!