Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #46
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,032
No schedule, warm and sunny, some errands to run, and lunch out at Five Guys... it was a perfect scooter day! I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. I was pleasantly surprised at how much stuff that under-seat storage can hold!

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
CaptnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #47
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
CaptnJim: Congrats on the new scoots! I got into them a couple of years ago and it puts a smile on my face every time I ride. Something about the smoothness, quiet, simplicity and unassuming nature of them is really appealing.

If you haven't already, check out the local phoenix scooter club - a very nice bunch and they have lost of interesting rides and meet ups.
http://www.meetup.com/Phoenix-Scooter-Club/
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #48
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,999
One good way around here to clean them, if that matters to you, is to use the local "spot free" car wash, and use the spot free setting. It is low pressure distilled water, so it won't damage anything when you rinse the dust off, and won't leave spots when it dries. A long time ago, when I was younger and in better health, and liked to keep things clean, I used to use that for both cars and bikes. I got a couple of 5 gallon plastic gas cans new, took them to the car wash and filled them up, then came home, poured it into a plastic pump up garden sprayer (also bought new for the purpose) and rinsed off the bikes, sometimes also using a little Windex and a soft bristled paint brush.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #49
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
You can always bring your RV and new scoots to San Diego for Amerivespa in June (all scooters welcome not just Vespas.) You'll find lots of people who discovered that scooters just put a smile on your face even after riding for years.
cdwise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #50
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,999
http://www.meetup.com/Phoenix-Scooter-Club/
Hmm. Interesting. A ride to Tortilla Flats? I tried to get my Vino 125 up there a couple of times, but it just wouldn't do it. It bogged down till it was jerking and lurching badly. It was detonating so badly it sounded like the engine was full of rocks. Not geared low enough. I've been up there on my 50cc Puch moped several times, averaging 15 mph, with the engine running in the powerband. with these small engines, gears are everything, and the Vino just don't got it. I notice it was recommended for maxi scooters only.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #51
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Thanks, folks. We'll only be in the Phoenix area through March... shouldn't have any problem getting that 600 service done before we head out. I looked at that Phoenix Scooter Club meetup thread, but it looks like the next one is in April.

Thanks for the tip about the spot-free rinse. As an old (former) sailor, I have used a garden sprayer for showers in the cockpit - that would work great for keeping the dust off the bikes! Hadn't considered that before. With the windy, rainy weather the next couple days, the scooters are in our daughter's garage... my wife's idea.

Regarding San Diego - we were there a couple weeks ago; had a great time! What a beautiful city. It had been about 15 years since we were last there. The RV resort we stayed in (Chula Vista) is on the southern bay, and has a marina connected... great walking along that waterfront. Easy trip to Coronado Island. That would be perfect with a scooter - yeah, we'll be back.

We're volunteering in our daughter's class today (she's a school teacher). They are out for spring break next week, the weather is supposed to be perfect, and no "projects" for us - should be plenty of scootering happening!

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 03-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #52
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
Easy trip to Coronado Island. That would be perfect with a scooter -

Best wishes,
Jim
I have a buddy who lives on Coronado. I keep telling him he needs a scooter. He never listens. He's not as smart as you.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #53
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

OK, I am convinced. When I got that first motorcycle at age 14, it wasn't fast, it wasn't pretty, but... it was FUN. And, for a poor kid, it was freedom. I had a magic carpet that could take me anywhere.

I had Harleys, but didn't consider myself a Harley guy. I had Goldwings, but I wasn't a Wing guy. I've always been a motorcycle guy. When I bought the V-Strom (2008), it was the first bike since I was in high school that was only 650cc. The litte V-Strom was torquey and fun. I read about those who adventure tour with it, but my long distance riding days are behind me. My pace is pretty slow these days... displacement cruising by boat, easy cruising by RV. And these little Hondas fit with that pace. And, they make me SMILE.

Who knew?

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 03-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #54
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,222
It is infectious...

Hey, CptJim. We must be kindred spirits or at least on the same plane of two wheeled fun. Like you, I have been stepping down in displacement, slowing the pace and enjoying it.
I just made a deal on a PCX125 one of our fellow inmates had listed. I was prepared to be underwhelmed but was I ever pleasantly surprised when test riding it.
Other scoots in the same general class were on my radar but after taking the Honda for a spin, I concluded that it will do the job.
When I got to Jax, I had the Vulcan(just wasn't me, not enough grins) sold after being here less than an hour! The only downside is I will have to wait two weeks to pick the scoot up on the way back home to NC.
If you come to Jax one day, stay at my RV park near NAS.

Jim Moore, I would love to be scooting around the Ortega, Avondale and Riverside neighborhoods right now. Maybe Solano has some rentals.
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #55
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Hi Driller,

I am pretty sure one has to be in the right life stage to appreciate what these scooters bring to the table. Granted, some get there sooner than others. Right now, these just FIT.

--------------------

Out and about on the scoots today. A few comments from passers-by, some beautiful riding weather, urban scooter cruising, and the Blonde laughing at me, yet again.

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/03/klingon.html

An excerpt...

On one stretch of road, a Harley rider blew past us. We caught up to him at the light. With a roar, he pulled away. We caught up to him again at the next light. I was wishing the PCX had a tach so I could see if the engine was running while stopped beside this guy. The speed limit was 45; we were running at 45. I nodded and smiled at him, he tried to look through me. That was me 30 years ago... pretty sure he couldn't see that he would ever be me.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

CaptnJim screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 08:14 PM
Old 03-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #56
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,665
Quote:
Hi Driller,

I am pretty sure one has to be in the right life stage to appreciate what these scooters bring to the table. Granted, some get there sooner than others. Right now, these just FIT.

--------------------

Out and about on the scoots today. A few comments from passers-by, some beautiful riding weather, urban scooter cruising, and the Blonde laughing at me, yet again.

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/03/klingon.html

An excerpt...

On one stretch of road, a Harley rider blew past us. We caught up to him at the light. With a roar, he pulled away. We caught up to him again at the next light. I was wishing the PCX had a tach so I could see if the engine was running while stopped beside this guy. The speed limit was 45; we were running at 45. I nodded and smiled at him, he tried to look through me. That was me 30 years ago... pretty sure he couldn't see that he would ever be me.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Yep most people don't want to understand there old and it's easier to just slow the #()$ down then not. They rush towards a heart attack and can't stop and see the world around them .
Old 03-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #57
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,977
Quote:

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
There is no end to the fun you can have with Harley guys. I like to pull up next to them at stop lights, flip up my helmet and yell, "Helloooo, fellow two-wheel enthusiast!" Hilarity typically enusues.

A motorcyclist (especially a Harley guy) usually won't wave to a guy on a scooter. You can try to trick them into waving by waitng until the last second, then throwing your arm out. I've actually seen people start to wave, then pull their hand back in when they see I'm on a scooter. Awesome.

Here's another trick. If you pass a group of bikes, start with the standard "low wave." If you don't get any acknowledgement, start waving like a madman, like you're thinking, "They don't see me! I better REALLY wave!"

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #58
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

That's FUNNY, Jim!

We did have two "wave situations" yesterday... one was a sport bike rider coming at us - he started the wave, then pulled it back. We both laughed.

The other was a Japanese cruiser, and we got a "low wave" from both people on the bike.

I usually just wave at the pretty girls.

My wife has "mapped out" our urban cruising route to Famous Dave's for lunch today. She is really liking this scooter stuff. It makes me chuckle; I have tended towards cruisers or dressers, she is the sport bike fan in the family. If any of you have been to Sturgis, we used to live in Boulder Canyon (between Sturgis and Deadwood). She can carve up those curves.

I ordered a couple Givi windshields this morning. I may make these into a dresser.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 03-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #59
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
That's FUNNY, Jim!

We did have two "wave situations" yesterday... one was a sport bike rider coming at us - he started the wave, then pulled it back. We both laughed.

The other was a Japanese cruiser, and we got a "low wave" from both people on the bike.

I usually just wave at the pretty girls.

My wife has "mapped out" our urban cruising route to Famous Dave's for lunch today. She is really liking this scooter stuff. It makes me chuckle; I have tended towards cruisers or dressers, she is the sport bike fan in the family. If any of you have been to Sturgis, we used to live in Boulder Canyon (between Sturgis and Deadwood). She can carve up those curves.

I ordered a couple Givi windshields this morning. I may make these into a dresser.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
As a fellow PCX 150 owner and all season rider. It's really fun in the winter. Especially in 30 degree weather when it's easier to count who isn't rubber necking as you roll by. :P
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #60
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
I've been getting quite a few waves from sports bike riders when I'm on the freeway with the Vespa GTS. They seem to think it takes balls of steel to ride 12" wheels at 80mph. Me, its just normal though if I'm going to be going long distances on the freeway I do prefer the Scarabeo 500. Though in true I prefer secondary state roads and FM roads (in Texas) where the speeds are close to that of the freeway but the scenery is better without the traffic.

Rode the BV to Amerivespa from Breckenridge, CO and did swing by Sturgis just because most of the folks in the women's riding group I belong to ride cruisers and always talk about Sturgis. I enjoyed the roads around Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse.
cdwise is online now   Reply With Quote