Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,261
Question Best way to play Iphone music on a car stereo..

With out a "MP3" connection..

Car, H6 2002 Subaru outback with a pretty decent stereo but to old to have a Iphone connector..

We don't want to change the stereo at the moment, so what other choices do we have..?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 23,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
With out a "MP3" connection..

Car, H6 2002 Subaru outback with a pretty decent stereo but to old to have a Iphone connector..

We don't want to change the stereo at the moment, so what other choices do we have..?
Two choices, neither very good:
If your stereo has a cassette player, you can get a cassette to 1/8th" mini TRS connector adapter or you can find mini 1/8th to FM transmitter that broadcasts the iPhone audio to one of several FM bands on your radio. The latter requires a power source, the former does not.
My personal experience is that the hard-wire cassette adapters work better. My son, OTOH, has an FM band one that works great.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
My personal experience is that the hard-wire cassette adapters work better.
That's my experience too. I never did find an FM solution that worked very well. YMMV,
BigIron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
Two choices, neither very good:
If your stereo has a cassette player, you can get a cassette to 1/8th" mini TRS connector adapter
Oh sorry I forgot to say, No Cassette player
Quote:

or you can find mini 1/8th to FM transmitter that broadcasts the iPhone audio to one of several FM bands on your radio. The latter requires a power source, the former does not.
My personal experience is that the hard-wire cassette adapters work better. My son, OTOH, has an FM band one that works great.
Power source for what, the Iphone...??

Sorry I'm pretty clueless about this stuff (my second car, first one with a radio).
Old 03-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron View Post
That's my experience too. I never did find an FM solution that worked very well. YMMV,
I was afraid of that..
Old 03-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron View Post
It depends on how saturated your FM band is in a particular market, and how strong a Tx the unit has. The cheap ones are very weak in order to get around FCC compliance I'm sure.

Quote:
I was afraid of that..
RK, my son lives in Provo, so you may just get one and see what happens. Most of them are only about $25 or so. His is kind of a "dock" that plugs into the cig lighter, as opposed to a unit with a wire, plug, and power/Tx module. The wire thing was always what drove me nuts about the cassette adaptor I had.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer

dlearl476 screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 11:49 PM
Old 03-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Oh sorry I forgot to say, No Cassette player
Power source for what, the Iphone...??

Sorry I'm pretty clueless about this stuff (my second car, first one with a radio).
No, a power source for the internal Tx. (Transmitter). Basically they are a very weak mini radio station that broadcasts a signal that your radio receives. Unfortunately, being very weak any real radio station in close proximity frequency-wise, will interfere.
The cheap ones will have 4-5 frequencies you can select. The better ones have a adjustment (much like an older, pre-seek/scan, radio) that you dial in a frequency. The secret is to find a wide open freq that no outside stations will interfere with. Like I say, in heavily saturated markets that's a tall order.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #8
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Another avenue you may want to explore is scouring junkyards for an upgraded radio with an aux input. Since the mid-90's they've pretty much been plug-n-play so any one from a model similar to yours would probably go right in, with wiring already in place.
If you can't do it yourself any car audio shop could swap it out in a few minutes for (hopefully) a small fee.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #9
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,637
I didn't want to spend on a new stereo either, but ~$125 at Walmart got me a nice Pioneer that streams Bluetooth from the iDevice if you have it, has a USB on the port for everything else, and even an aux in jack. I've even gotten a lot of mileage out of the Bluetooth phone stuff on the stereo instead of using a handsfree type of cord/device. It was probably the best $125 I've spent on the cage. Should have done it years ago.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #10
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,979
My kids got me a Griffin ITrip Hands Free outfit for Christmas. (My Accord doesn't have an input or cassette player). It broadcasts on FM and it lets you select the frequency. It works fairly well, I've found a frequency that works well locally. When traveling, I've found that I sometimes have to change the frequency to avoid interference. It also has a hands- free device for the phone. I've only used that while the car is stationary, but it worked well for that.

The transmitter plugs into the a cigarette lighter socket to get its power. But there is a USB socket on the plug that will allow you to charge your phone, so you don't necessarily "lose" the plug.

I love being able to listen to Pandora or TuneIn Radio in the car. Funny how you get used to technology, when I bought this car I thought I had the world by the balls because it had a CD changer. :-)
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
Gimpinator
This is my Mom's cat

Oddometer: 1,096
I spent $270 on a touchscreen radio with Bluetooth and navigation for my '97 Ranger. That was money very well spent!

The Bluetooth streams good quality audio from my iPhone and I get full speakerphone functionality as well. I'd never go back to that crappy cassette adapter. Ugh!
Old 03-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
I have an Aux out jack on the back of my elderly Alpine unit. One end of the cable connects there and the other directly into my iPhone 4.
I also have an iPhone charger that uses the cigarette lighter.
Simple and absolutely reliable setup that cost me less than 20 bucks.
I tried the FM connection and it sucked.
Listening to podcasts while traveling really helps the time go by.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
ISimple. Splices your antenna between the antenna connector and the stereo, so you don't get interference from other radio stations. Then again, its probably cheaper and easier to install a head unit with an mp3 in.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

I correct my self, we Do have a cassette player, so any brand to look for or are they all generic clones of each other..
Old 03-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #15
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,865
I've used a couple versions of these for several years, they work as well as anything else like this.
They start at about $19.99 on ebay.
http://www.monstercable.com/mp3/ipod/transmitters.asp
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: