Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
mikejjmay OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
protection for bottom of sidecar

Hey all,

had a few hacks before, but just ordered my first new, large one. Im putting a DMC Kenda on my GL1500 so my wife and I can tour the US in style (actually, more for her comfort).

So the sidecar is being built, and should be here in about 4 weeks or so. We like to stay off main roads as much as possible, and that means alot of hardpack gravel roads. The sidecar is fiberglass, so I am concerned about the gelcoat on the bottom of the car, and the fibergalss floor.

So I am asking, what is the best way to protect hte bottom of the sidecar (on the outside of course)? Im thinking rhino or bedliner, or buying some very thin aluminum sheeting and using the 3m automotive double sided stuff to adhere. It would be very lightweight, just to prevent scratching and chipping, im not going to be single tracking it with a GW1500

Im leaning toward the aluminum, for looks and durability, plus it could be removed. Thoughts? Other ideas?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,734
Unless you go scraping it over rocks you'd be surprised by how little the tub gets hit even on gravel roads.

I'd vote for the bed liner ... but only 'cause I just did mine today

Old 03-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjmay View Post
Hey all,

had a few hacks before, but just ordered my first new, large one. Im putting a DMC Kenda on my GL1500 so my wife and I can tour the US in style (actually, more for her comfort).

So the sidecar is being built, and should be here in about 4 weeks or so. We like to stay off main roads as much as possible, and that means alot of hardpack gravel roads. The sidecar is fiberglass, so I am concerned about the gelcoat on the bottom of the car, and the fibergalss floor.

So I am asking, what is the best way to protect hte bottom of the sidecar (on the outside of course)? Im thinking rhino or bedliner, or buying some very thin aluminum sheeting and using the 3m automotive double sided stuff to adhere. It would be very lightweight, just to prevent scratching and chipping, im not going to be single tracking it with a GW1500

Im leaning toward the aluminum, for looks and durability, plus it could be removed. Thoughts? Other ideas?
Howdy Mike,

Have Jay build a light weight skid plate that can be easily bolted to the underside of the tub, shouldn't be hard for him to make. I know other folks who have Jay's fiberglass tubs that ride forest service roads with unprotected sidecar bottoms and they have never complained of tub damage.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
DavePave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
You might try this

http://www.invisiblemask.com/?gclid=...FQSnnQodOC8AkA

Specifically, 3M Chip gaurd

It worked on some parts of my old boat - protecting gelcoat and fiberglass.

Though if you are doing a LOT of gravel, a light throw away aluminum skid plate may be better for the long term.
DavePave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,542
I use high density polyethelene (HDPE). You can get it in various colors pretty cheap, in rolls:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Colore...0-Ft,1557.html

Or natural off-white sheets:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-pl...sheets/=lpkyi7
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,926
I have a fiberglass Hannigan on my GSA, live on a dirt road, ride a lot on dirt, mud, grassy meadows etc and in 28k miles have never had a problem with things marring the underside.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I have 78,000 km on my Ural, and have done extensive off pavement riding, sometimes in rather extreme conditions. Going by the condition of the paint on the bottom of the tub, I just don't see it being an issue.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,348
My Ural tub on the other hand is 16 years young and steadily disintegrating since I got it 13 years ago despite having seen no real abuse. But I'm in the NE where road salt is a bigger danger than off-road hazards.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:33 AM   #9
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,304
The KLR in me says....

Get some cheap ass contact paper (plastic) from Walmart

No one is going to see it & it's pennies, not dollars
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #10
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,345
Great post.

I think the roll-on or brush on Herculiner brand product would be ideal. Tape/mask off an conservative "skid area" and go for it. Perhaps just below the line of sight as you gander at your rig from the front or back.

Wipe it down with some appropriate prep or wax and grease remover. Some Dawn dishsoap and hot water not a bad idea either. A light scuffing of the area before hand with some lightish-grit sand paper, and then wash or wipe it down again. Make sure it's totally dry. Even though "Herc" will stick to everything regardless of prep, it's a good practice to do things right, treat it as if you were painting a show car. The prep always the key to the final end result you strive for.

I would find or order the real deal Hurculiner, and not piss around with the "clones". Probably just me , but I like having to only to this type of thing once. I tried a Duplicolor product for this type of thing once, and it never dried. Had to scrape it all off a week later, never again.
A week later, my skid plate that was sprayed with Dupli-color's coating was like chewing gum, sticky, and never dried.

so now I use:

http://www.herculiner.com/product_info.htm

Hey, take some pics, show us the end result. I think your concern is valid, if it makes you feel better, what the heck, not a huge investment, and it could be an enjoyable Sunday-coupla-beers and a bratwurst project.
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
XL-erate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
There's a surplus metals dealer in the 'Big City' not far from me. They sell 4' x 8' x 1/8" sheets of new aluminum diamond plate for about $150, also have all kinds of remnants and smaller pieces. Most metal recyclers - scrap dealers - also sell their stuff to the general public. Might be worth checking out what's available in your general area?
XL-erate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
I would not worry about it. The fiberglass is very tough! If you are really worried about it, buy some spray on under coat from the autoparts store.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #13
mikejjmay OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Ah the man himself. Thanks for the input jay! Super excited to get the rig.

I guess Ill leave the bottom alone, and maybe use somethign around the edge of the cab (my dogs have some sharp nails )

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
I would not worry about it. The fiberglass is very tough! If you are really worried about it, buy some spray on under coat from the autoparts store.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
+1. Also look into stuff made specifically for rocker panels. Buy the good stuff from an automotive paint supply store.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #15
erp
Levon's friend,

Oddometer: 5
Aluminum pan ?

I put a full length ,and width of the car , 1/4" diamond plate aluminum pan on my Velorex car build. Painted the top flat black, left the bottom shiny , The plastic bottom of the car didn't appear to be enough protection. It seems to help with mud and rocks ? Can't figure out how to move a picture of it yet, will try again. erp
erp is offline   Reply With Quote