Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #16
mitchn06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650Gnar View Post
I decided to go with the pro x mostly because with all the associated costs (hidden and otherwise) of a pretty much 100% complete rebuild $300 just for the rod is rough. I stayed with the stock bore and compression more for reliability than anything. I think a falicon is bling for this application but shifts more to mandatory when you go high compression, bigger bore, stage 2 cam etc.
i follow you. I will more than likely do the same. Doesn't the Pro-x have a bearing on the small end also? that seems like it makes more sense to me than it being a plain bearing, but what do i know?
Old 03-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #17
mitchn06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

list of bearings and seals that should be replaced while everything is apart? It seems that my online OEM parts list is growing up over $400 for the build, and it probably really does not need to be. thoughts?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #18
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
list of bearings and seals that should be replaced while everything is apart? It seems that my online OEM parts list is growing up over $400 for the build, and it probably really does not need to be. thoughts?

Many of the smaller bearings, as in the clutch rod lifter, etc, do not need to be replaced since they don't spin much.

It seems like I was into it about $400 for bearings and seals also.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #19
mitchn06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Many of the smaller bearings, as in the clutch rod lifter, etc, do not need to be replaced since they don't spin much.

It seems like I was into it about $400 for bearings and seals also.
it seems rediculous to spend $75 on the crank bearings, how can one bearing be twice as much as another?? crazy!!

I sold several of my Winter project bikes teh other day, so i came across some $$ to burn, but i thought it would last longer than one parts order, not including the valves or connecting rod! I have all the head cover bolts on the list to replace since last time i had it off, one broke and i'm sure others are close to life's end. those add up too. I have the cam tensioner on the list, and also the cam chain guide, no signs of wear on the guide, so i might remove it from the list also, shave $25 there. what about balancer bearings??
Old 03-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #20
mitchn06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

couple questions:
1. on clutch basket there is slight wear on the posts from the springs for some reason. is this "normal"
2. slight wear on the clutch basket again where the fiber discs ride

3. cam chain guide, what is considered wear? the darker spots on the guide? it feels fine and not sure if replacement is required.

random morning shot before work

4. cam chain tensioner arm, how do you tell if there is wear on this part, it looks fine and feels fine, but i didn't snap a pic.

5. i've already posted this in the main thread, but i've made up an OEM parts list that you can find HERE
Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #21
mitchn06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

oh, and after the last week of slowly taking engine out of frame and borrowing an impact and buying sockets, i got the case split, but now i need to have the crankshaft pressed out of the case, unless somebody would like to share a trick to do so.

transmission
Old 03-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #22
mitchn06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

got some more progress done today, i cleaned up quite a few random parts, took apart thermostat housing and tested thermostat, pulled swingarm off and suspension, pulled rear fender and subframe off. Also cleaned up frame and swingarm WD-40 and a couple rags does wonders, little bit of scrubbing also, but the WD really breaks it down quickly. and some pics.........

Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #23
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 749
XRR Rebuild

Thats great you are putting new life back into your bike!
Wondering what do you think accounts for the badly worn out top end?
Lack of valve adjustments, lack of clean fresh oil?

Good luck with your build, looking forward to hearing more.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #24
mitchn06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buell78753 View Post
Thats great you are putting new life back into your bike!
Wondering what do you think accounts for the badly worn out top end?
Lack of valve adjustments, lack of clean fresh oil?

Good luck with your build, looking forward to hearing more.
I wish i could tell you a definite answer. i believe it to be lack of oil, but i only had the bike one year before i had to replace the rockers and cam, so it could have been from previous owner neglect, or because i wanted to ride more than i wanted to maintain, but i'm not totally positive.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #25
mitchn06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

most probably forgot about this thread, as did I almost, but i havn't had any real updates on the bike, and this is the reason. Acquired a 1969 Firebird coupe from my father in-law. Goldie soaked up most of the money i had set aside for the rebuild, but she is running and rolling again after many minnesota years outside, so back to the bike......

mitchn06 screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 08:23 AM
mitchn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #26
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
most probably forgot about this thread, as did I almost, but i havn't had any real updates on the bike, and this is the reason. Acquired a 1969 Firebird coupe from my father in-law. Goldie soaked up most of the money i had set aside for the rebuild, but she is running and rolling again after many minnesota years outside, so back to the bike......

thats a rare car and expensive!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #27
mitchn06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
thats a rare car and expensive!
I agree, as bummed as i am about missing a riding season on the Mighty Ol XR, i know this car was a great investment, and i still get to ride to work everyday on the bike i built. next year is gonna be awesome!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #28
MCVL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I remember I did the rebuild a year ago, also had less than needed money to spend, but wanted to do it quicker, so I ended up replacing the bearings on the aftermarket ones from the sewing-machine and somekind of a car, I had to replace valves and guides, they were done for, but it was too much to buy them, so I bought valves from some Nissan ~1986 e15 car very cheap while good enough quality. The stem was 7mm, so at the workshop they made the hole bigger and I didn't need to replace the guides, two birds with one stone
They also made something with the seat, becouse the valves had diffrent angle, overall it was much cheaper, especially considering high cost of shiping here.
But now after a year I have noticed some sounds at the head and great loss of power, the guides wore off, so at the workshop they replaced them with the guides from somekind of mitsubishi, still cheaper, so I guess it's ok
But I wouldn't recommend on doing it if you have a chance to order original or kibbles even though they work fine =)

P.S. When putting back together take a note that one bearing on the camshaft should have a seal, from the timing chain side, or else the lubrication of rockers will be not enough and they will wear out again
MCVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #29
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Awesome car. That takes the sting out of slow rebuild.

As far as the timing chain guides, I have no idea what is worn out and what is not. I replaced mine will all HRC stuff, which was probably my biggest expense that didn't need to be. The stock setup seems to be plenty strong.

It also seems like I was able to pop the crank out of the left side without anything special.

I am starting a house build also, and my xrr needs a little love and my crf250 needs a head job. All of which will have to wait, until I skim money from the construction loan.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:37 AM   #30
TJE
Space Emperor

Oddometer: 54
Hey mitchn06!

You had a great thread going here ... why did you stop posting? Did you finish the bike yet?

Many thanks for sharing the list of spares for the rebuild. It was just what I needed!

Love your garage, by the way!

My gallery: http://www.subsignal.com/DEMO
TJE is offline   Reply With Quote