Old 03-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #16
-Macca-
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoth View Post
Melbourne to Sydney (Albury)
Noooooooo... Not the Hume!! Try this one instead: http://goo.gl/maps/DlZcm

Stop somewhere between Bairnsdale & Bombala. Much better fun than the Hume Highway, but still relatively direct.
-Macca- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #17
berty
the new guy

Oddometer: 312
aus trip

Looking for tips, people to meet, things to do, people who could help if I get in a jam, people to go on rides, safe places to park the bike while I'm not on it, etc.

Mike[/QUOTE]

with the weather as it is make sure you and the bike have your snokels on
berty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #18
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,618
Mate, seriously, while Mel. to Syd. is piss easy in a day, you are going to miss what many riders, including myself, consider the best ADV roads in Australia, namely the Vic high country and NSW South East
Make it 4 days to Sydney and you will get a brief but powerful feel for this country,s only Alpine regions,might even get a bit of snow if you're lucky!

sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #19
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyZ9 View Post
I was wondering about your maths

It's about 4,000 k's around the coast and a bit under 3,000 down the back.
Yeah i never consider the coast way but I suppose tourist's do but still it depends on what he wants and how much riding. I did near 12000ks in 3 1/2 weeks around Oz
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #20
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,001
Bunch a wimps, the lot of ya.

I did Melbourne - Cairns in 3 days and that was on a bloody scooter, I even made it to the top of Cape York in less than a week and that was after I drowned the bike and busted my leg near Cap'n Billy!

Ksoth, ignore this miserable bunch and just go for it mate.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:23 AM   #21
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,756
gday ksoth
if you check out the vendors section here, some clown is flogging dvds with a route around oz taking in some of the best offroad destinations that will guide you up the east coast and further if you want
Old 03-03-2013, 02:54 AM   #22
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,005
Personal opinion , I think it`s quite achieveable in your time frame . And leaves enough time for a decent trip to the outer reef scuba diving . If you took 8 days each way ( A real man could do it in 8 days standing on his head ) It still leaves another 12 days .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:24 AM   #23
enz0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Remember to watch for wildlife, especially at dawn and dusk, my bikes seem to have a special wombat attraction device installed somewhere.

If you're going to stop in Sydney drop me a message and I'll buy you a couple of beers
Old 03-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #24
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBee View Post
I find this helped me in my planing for a US road trip.

My point exactly: New Orleans to the Canadian North-east border.

As a diver, I hate to say this, but you might be disappointed by the Barrier Reef - I know I was: it's a bloody long way out to sea - so factor in a long day on the boat, and much of it is bleached to buggery. The African, Arabian and Thai reefs all leave the GBR dead for beauty, although there's so good sized sea-life on the GBR.
Happy to help you find your way round Melbourne.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #25
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,974
for diving forget cairns, I recomend ;

http://www.ladyelliot.com.au/

much less distance to travel and spectacular. That way you could spend more time in good riding and get some amazing diving in :-)

http://atgreg.smugmug.com/Travel/Lad...0338&k=grDJb6j

Old 03-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #26
ksoth OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
Just go one way and take your time. Fly into Melbourne, follow the coast up and cut inland when you need to then fly out of Cairns. Im sure you could negotiate for a one way rental.
You're on holidays, may as well enjoy it.
One way rental would be an extra $1000 or so to freight it back and a flight from Cairns to Melbourne. I already have my tickets flying back out from Melbourne. It's tempting, but a lot of extra money...
ksoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #27
ksoth OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack one View Post
Mate, seriously, while Mel. to Syd. is piss easy in a day, you are going to miss what many riders, including myself, consider the best ADV roads in Australia, namely the Vic high country and NSW South East
Make it 4 days to Sydney and you will get a brief but powerful feel for this country,s only Alpine regions,might even get a bit of snow if you're lucky!

Cool, thanks. Is this along the A1/B23? This was my original route but I pared it down due to the extra distance... That does seem quite enticing though.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #28
ksoth OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by enz0 View Post
Remember to watch for wildlife, especially at dawn and dusk, my bikes seem to have a special wombat attraction device installed somewhere.

If you're going to stop in Sydney drop me a message and I'll buy you a couple of beers
Yes, I am definitely going to stop in Sydney. Thanks for the offer, I'd love to take you up on it!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #29
ksoth OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Macca- View Post
Noooooooo... Not the Hume!! Try this one instead: http://goo.gl/maps/DlZcm

Stop somewhere between Bairnsdale & Bombala. Much better fun than the Hume Highway, but still relatively direct.
Hey thanks for the tip. Yeah going the more scenic southern route was my first choice but I pared it down because of the distance, as I wanted to do Mel to Sydney in 1 day. This would definitely be a 2 day trip... I'll look into it more.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #30
aspad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoth View Post
Thanks everyone!

My thinking was this... I will be there for 28 days. 8 days of riding from place to place gives me 20 days of non-riding to see Australia and do other stuff. 20 days sounds good to me.

800km days on a bike sure could be tough (I've done it before and it was tolerable). I am definitely open to changing this. I decided on this because it seemed like if I were to split the main legs (like Melbourne to Sydney) into 2 days, I found it difficult to really know what to do at the halfway point. Also, my thinking is just hammering through it all in one day would be rough for that day, but would mean I have more time and energy the other days to do stuff besides riding.

So, maybe you could all help with that! For each of the legs, where would you suggest I stop that's about halfway that would make the trip better? I'll put my thoughts in parenthesis.

Melbourne to Sydney (Albury)
Sydney to Brisbane (Port Macquarie)
Brisbane to Mackay (Rockhampton)
Mackay to Cairns (Townsville)

Any thoughts?

As my current itinerary shows, I would like to spend about a week in Cairns. I'm a scuba guy so diving the great barrier reef is paramount. Also, enjoying the rain forest is also on my list. Maybe a day trip up to Port Douglas (a coworker recommended this).

In fact, I'm a nature guy in general. I know that a lot of the legs I planned were staying on the highways. This is mainly because I am doing this alone. I do not want to go too off the beaten path by myself for safety reasons. The idea was to get to the main areas, and spend the time in those main areas enjoying the sights.

Thanks again for all the input and I look forward to hearing more from you all!

Mike
Yes. Fuck staying in albury (no disrespect) or other biggish towns. Head up the river murray from albury to walwa or jingellic and stay in the pub. cheaper,friendlier, more convenient and more charming.
One of the great joys of travelling in oz is staying in small country pubs.
Great roads from albury to either of the above places - dirt (river road) on north side and tar on the south side via the granya gap

aspad screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 11:51 AM
aspad is offline   Reply With Quote