Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Noth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Is Google a decent tool in planning trips..

It seems that it works very well... I use it and under the options, enable the "avoid Highways" function... That way, I think it is taking me from point A to point B in a more interesting way.. I could go all the way to point B via Highway ( I-95)... but would rather use secondary roads all the way.. I've never done that and the route "seems" OK.... Just wondering if anyone else has tried it and whether it worked for them, or whether they had issues.. I take the Google route link, and load it into my TomTom via Tyre.. after I make a few adjustments for roads that I want to be sure to use..
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
I have only used it locally but it has worked well for that...another way to avoid freeways and see interesting alternate routes is to use the bicycle option (though that could put you on bike paths in town it works well for routes between towns)
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Noth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I tried the bicycle route and it out me the wrong way down a one way street .. so that is no good..
Old 03-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
Danimo
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I use it religiously. I like how you can edit the trip with a click and drag of the mouse. It helps to find roads that are not major highways.
Danimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noth View Post
It seems that it works very well... I use it and under the options, enable the "avoid Highways" function... That way, I think it is taking me from point A to point B in a more interesting way.. I could go all the way to point B via Highway ( I-95)... but would rather use secondary roads all the way.. I've never done that and the route "seems" OK.... Just wondering if anyone else has tried it and whether it worked for them, or whether they had issues.. I take the Google route link, and load it into my TomTom via Tyre.. after I make a few adjustments for roads that I want to be sure to use..
Yes, I use it like that and also use avoid highways option then save the map. I don't have a GPS so I sign in with my Android phone and use my Google Map App. I cache sometimes in case of poor signal. I still carry maps too.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
73datsun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Maybe one of you can help me with my lastest Google Maps fail.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867379
73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
Noth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73datsun View Post
Maybe one of you can help me with my lastest Google Maps fail.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867379

Is there a Help link back to Google.. I wonder f there is a limitaion after a save..
Old 03-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
I always route first with google map, for it is far more friendly than basecamp on GUI.

then the key operation is to hit the create link button and save that bookmark yet I immediately get the full gpx track with the gmaptogpx online javascript tool documented at
http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

after that gpx track is imported in basecamp, I route under what google gave me. sometimes I have to work around dead end. Sure you are doing it twice, but it's good for memory and to spot hotels and gas station in a different way than google cant do in one shot.

if gmaptogpx could save a anything else than an atrociously broken route, I would probably not use basecamp. unfortunately, routes and waypoints are too broken. it only is really good to trace a full track, which is enough indication to route with basecamp.

dunno about tomtom, good luck.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
73datsun
Gnarly Adventurer

As Google Maps keeps having issues, is there another reliable web based trip planning platform?

I've mapped everything out on paper. But want accurate mileage, fuel locations, etc, etc.

Google Maps is really struggling (read, not working) with 25 way points for my MN > AK > MN route

I've spent 12+ hrs working on routing everything out.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Google Maps is really struggling (read, not working) with 25 way points for my MN > AK > MN route
I think you should take the hint that this is a "web" app, not an app.
(crappy performance by design).

map 1 day at a time, they will be short enough to handle high level of vias and waypoints. plus it makes it easier to printscreen fullhd and print 1 nice map page per day with decent details level, not the whole continent.

Most importantly, you will avoid taxing whatever poor device you try to get to display that huge trip. Im thinking tablets and phones, but even garmin as a limit on the route length before it gets really slow and even crashing.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
73datsun
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, I had a funny feeling that was going to end up being the best solution.

thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
As Google Maps keeps having issues, is there another reliable web based trip planning platform?

I've mapped everything out on paper. But want accurate mileage, fuel locations, etc, etc.

I've spent 12+ hrs working on routing everything out.
There in lies the problem with Google maps. If you just want to get from here to there by the most direct route then fine. But I use a BUNCH of waypoints when I travel off the beaten path. And Google chokes on them every time.

In addition to that, Google is just plain not accurate in many areas. I would rather use my six year old copy of Streets and Trips.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #13
MountaineerWV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Why would you spend 12 hrs planning a route in the US? Accurate mileage and fuel points...are you off road? Have a 1 gallon tank?

Typically I would use ADV, HUBB, Thorntree, or locals to find interesting stuff ahead of me. Do another search using google if anyone had mapped it out. I liked getting way out there, where there were no roads mapped. However, I could typically use Google Satellite and visually identify if there was a road/path/cut through the mountains or jungle. It was pretty useful.
US Army 2006-2011; Ansbach, Germany 2007-2011; Iraq 07-08 & 09-10
MountaineerWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
73datsun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerWV View Post
Why would you spend 12 hrs planning a route in the US? Accurate mileage and fuel points...are you off road? Have a 1 gallon tank?
I've got well into 20+ hrs planning this trip. Reading Milepost, Woodall's, ADV, etc to determine places that are worth stopping. Places to camp. Side trips to take, etc.

Take for instance: "I want to stay in Banff;" there's multiple campgounds and places to stay. So I'd spend time reading about that stop, make a decision and then put that into google maps as a waypoint.

I guess I didn't consider that weird.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #15
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
I have a garmin GPS so I use mapsource for loading the waypoints. I use google maps extensively when actuallly geting the routes I want to use and where the waypoints might need to be. Mapsource is not very friendly when trying to find points and its very easy to screw up routes or points. So I find it good to use google maps for locating then pinpoint in mapsource. I did my entire trip from Key West to Prudhoe Bay and back to KW using this method. Worked out fine! I do agree with the one comment of checking with locals and anybody that has traveled to an area for the outta of the way roads and sights. You can then use google to find them and the find the point in mapsource. I have also found that using google chrome to run google maps is much easier and faster than going to google through internet explorer. One other thing, not sure how other GPSs might work but with a Garmin I have found its a pain to load the route because if you decide to deviate it will constantly try to turn your around to go back to the point you left the route. For that reason I almost only use waypoints now. Might require a good memory of the map or a map handy but less of a pain then getting pissed because the GPS is constantly trying to make you turn around!!!

Good luck!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote