Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #16
73datsun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Thanks. I'll probably have a Garmin for the trip. I screwed around with their mapping software. Couldn't really figure it out.

When I uploaded the GPX file from google maps, it essentially just took the shortest distance between two destinations, a straight line. Not following any sort of road.

I'll have to do a lot more digging into GPS systems and how it works, etc.

But honestly, all of this is a lot of fun. Except with google maps tanks on me.
73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
Noth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
. One other thing, not sure how other GPSs might work but with a Garmin I have found its a pain to load the route because if you decide to deviate it will constantly try to turn your around to go back to the point you left the route. For that reason I almost only use waypoints now. Might require a good memory of the map or a map handy but less of a pain then getting pissed because the GPS is constantly trying to make you turn around!!!

Good luck!!
Great advice.. Yes.. I have thta too with the TomTom.. I was up in VT last year and with all of the washouts and closed roads... I finally just would go to the town on the route, then go from there..
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #18
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 636
It may depend on where you are. In South Texas about ten percent of the roads on Google Maps are private. Garmin is worse, because if you have the unit set to automatically recalculate and get off route, it will take you up some rancher's driveway.

Just smile and ask about the last rain. A "Farm Bureau" sticker on your forks helps.

Worship your master as you wish, but never name him Freedom.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #19
Dogscout
Been there done that

Oddometer: 1,388
watch out for K's vs M's

Google Maps is a great resource for planning, but don't do what my friend did for a trip up the Dempster. He did not realize that the distances reported in Canada were in Kilometers and not miles. This lead to some last minute planning problems. I expect that it is more obvious to the user now, since his problem was back in 2007, or I'm just vigilant to check. Either way, its a great tool.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #20
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Google maps is what gets me thru the long winter. By the time spring rolls around, I have a dozen trips rattling around in my head. And of course not nearly enough time to ride them all.

I travel way off the beaten path mostly, and don't have any trouble routing thru forest roads, BLM roads, etc. It's best to keep the segments short, like one day at a time, and just start dragging the route around. It's nice to be able to calculate distance across the wild lands for fuel purposes.

-al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote