User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,579
Thumb Colorado Power Loop!

I just finished installing the Rally Raid kit on my 2013 KTM 690 Enduro and was curious to see how it worked.

No better way to test it than to do a one day 500 mile loop of Colorado and bag a few nice passes.

Fortunately for me one of my riding buddies, Shorebill, just got a new KTM 950 Super Enduro and wanted to see how the bike fared in Colorado's rocky trails.

Since Bill is a Luddite and does not own a camera you will see many pics of Bill, his bike and my bike, but not too many of me.

We started in Denver at 0730 at the morning and zipped out Hwy 285 over Kenosha pass to the first dirt pass of the day. Weston Pass.

It was a beautiful crisp day for riding. Here's Bill coming over Weston on his new SE.

From there we worked our way over to Buena Vista and then over Cotton Wood Pass.

At then top we met 3 ADV riders doing a more tame loop.

From Cottonwood Pass we dropped into Taylor Park, East of Crested Butte. As we approached the Taylor Park Trading post we encountered a major Forest Ranger check point. They were stopping every vehicle and checking for proper documentation. Starting last year they are enforcing and old rule in the books that states that even a street legal vehicle has to have OHV tags if it is running on forest trails, as opposed to forest roads and county roads. This means you now not only have to pay for your license plate tags (CO is the 3rd most expensive state to plate vehicles), but also for OHV tags every year. That's lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bill in Taylor Park

From here the real fun begins. We are headed up Italian Creek and up to the top of American Flag Mt (Elevation: 12,713 Feet / 3875 Meters)

On the way up Italian Creek I must have been going a bit too fast, and despite having 24 psi in my tires I got a nice pinch flat in my front tire.

Yellow Pig changing tubes:

Quick pit stop and we are rolling again:

American Flag Mt is a photo op waiting to happen:

Shot some pics then headed down into Crested Butte. Great views on the way down.

Getting up and down is a bit loose:

After Flag Mt we headed into Crested Butte for some fuel and food, but not before getting a nice picture in front of the stainless steel night & dragon:

After CB we headed North to Schofield Pass. This pass starts off nice and tame, but get rockier and rockier as you head North. The climax is at the Devils Punch Bowl, which is like a mini Black Bear Pass.

The trail leading to the Punch Bowl is beautiful.

The canyon leading to the Devils Punch Bowl:

Here is the tricky spot on a big bike.

The reward at the bottom:

From there you drop into the town of Marble, which is where the white marble for the Lincoln Memorial & the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is harvested.

From Marble we slabbed it over to Basalt where we took a nice twisty road that lead us past Ruedi Reservoir and over to Hagerman Pass.

We hit Hagerman around sunset (2030).

Had some fun in the water:

Took one last picture in the light:

And made it into Leadville as it was getting dark.

In Leadville we gassed up, got some grub the slabbed it home in the dark for 2 hrs.

Once home at 2330 Bill & I had covered over 500 miles of Colorado's finest terrain and ridden for almost 16 hrs straight.

Great day of riding.

PS: In case you have not noticed I'm smitten w/ the 690 and the Rally kit.

Yellow Pig screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 06:47 PM
Yellow Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
ckjj888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Oh Patriot
ckjj888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:20 AM   #3
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 1,927
How do you like that Tractionator on your 690? I really liked it on my old SE, held up well and did everything well.

Nice build on your RR kit, looks awesome. Kinda skert to ask what the wait time was for the kit.

I just got a new to me 2010 690r and am loving it! What a great bike.

Take care, Eric.

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

The Motoz works great on the 690. I'm hoping it lasts a bit longer on the smaller bike than it did on the SE. Only time will tell.

I ordered directly from Rally Raid and got my kit in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
Nice looking 690, how did the Rally Raid kit work for you?
Old 07-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

So far so good. Really make a huge difference on the road sections. Great aerodynamics for the pilot.

Took me a while to get used to the cockpit not moving and a bit of extra weight on the front end, but after a 50 miles of re-calibration I do not even notice it anymore.

Only time will tell how durable it is for hard off-roading. I flogged it pretty well on this loop. Rocks, jumping water bars etc.... and so far it looks like it's gonna work well, much better than my last fairing which had a catastrophic failure on the first ride from jumping small water bars.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Dan
Old 07-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Nice read. I lived and rode out of Gunnison for many years, did Schofield on a BMW GS1000 Airhead one year. The knight and dragon in CB are cool but you should see the Huey helicopter he made. And they all are made from welded up bumpers (from back in the day when cars had chrome bumpers!) Thanks for the memories!

Colorado native, doin' time in Texas
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Where is the Huey?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Yellow Pig screwed with this post 07-24-2013 at 07:49 AM
Yellow Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Where is the Huey?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
UNLESS it has been moved, it is on a side street, one of the first lefts as you come into town from the south, probably either Belleview or Whiterock. Been a number of years since I was there but CB doesn't change much.

Colorado native, doin' time in Texas
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote