Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
I want to punch Google Maps in the face. Stumped.

I've spent over eight hours working on my route from MN to AK to MN motorcycle trip. After eight hours, I decided to SAVE the map (save to my maps). It should be noted, that I wasn't yet done with my routing, just wanted to save in case shit happened.

After I saved it. The "add another destination" disappeared. As did the route interface/driving directions.

Here's what my route now looks like:

I've used the EDIT and tried to extend the route, but it seems overly complex and isn't working. Am I doing something wrong?

Here is what I'm used to and would like to revert back to:

I really don't want to start this whole damn thing over again. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,048
I know this isn't what you want, but, paper maps and a highlighter. This way you aren't relying on random electrons.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I know this isn't what you want, but, paper maps and a highlighter. This way you aren't relying on random electrons.
Oh, I've done that for my initial planning. But was converting it to digital so I can more accurately gauge mileage, fuel stops, etc.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
colomtnbiker
wimpy old guy

Oddometer: 475
I agree with Acejones, north of the border or south of the border, I've never lost my way with paper maps. Plus, for me, I can see the 'whole' picture much clearer. For me, the digital stuff is relying on others for my fun.

Hopefully getting old is not an option but acting old is.
colomtnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That's great.

But I can't seriously be the only person having this dilemma.

I've already done the route on paper. Now I wish to do it digitally.

Is there a free web program that works well?

So I spent too much time rebuilding the map. However. Now when I get to Kalispell, MT and try to add any destinations after it, it just says "LOADING..." and never finds or places the next waypoint.

I've cleared cache, history, etc. Tried it in Safari, Firefox and Chrome. On two machines. Nothing.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Marine By Choice
Sergeant 0311

Oddometer: 187
Must be an omen
Marine By Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 678
What I've had the most success with is use the create map option. It will let you draw lines along roads. Forget the getting directions function, it will only screw you up more. After you draw lines on the roads you can click and drag to alternate routes as you please. You will also be able to add placemarks to note other things on your route, like food, camping, tourist stuff etc. You can then pre-cache that on a smart phone. I mostly use it for planning as I still prefer paper maps and a compass.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
t-bills
mcs are dangerous

Oddometer: 282
I've been using motowhere.com to plan out my upcoming trip. It seems to work reasonably well, especially for the price- free.
t-bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine By Choice View Post
Must be an omen
I hope my adventure doesn't end in Montana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut11 View Post
What I've had the most success with is use the create map option. It will let you draw lines along roads. Forget the getting directions function, it will only screw you up more. After you draw lines on the roads you can click and drag to alternate routes as you please. You will also be able to add placemarks to note other things on your route, like food, camping, tourist stuff etc. You can then pre-cache that on a smart phone. I mostly use it for planning as I still prefer paper maps and a compass.
I'll try that next. I can see how that would be much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bills View Post
I've been using motowhere.com to plan out my upcoming trip. It seems to work reasonably well, especially for the price- free.
Will try that out.

Surprisingly enough, I tried out the Harley Davidson Trip Planner, which uses Google Maps API. And it worked perfect??? It's actually not a very bad product. Especially given that it's free.

I've still got more time to dick around. But I really wanted to transfer my route to a digital medium.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
I know what you did, I've done it with GM a couple times, but I've never figured out a way to fix it.

I do recommend making each couple hundred mile segment into a different line so that if you screw it up you didn't mess up the whole route, that's all I can think of right now.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut11 View Post
And this...
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
I know what you did, I've done it with GM a couple times, but I've never figured out a way to fix it.
You'd be surprise at how happy to hear I am to hear that I'm not the only one.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 620
My guess is you hit the limit for way points because you asked for dirctions between the way points.

You're limited to 2, 500 'requests' for directions per day. Every time you refresh the map you're resending requests for all the current directions; that could easily add up to over 2, 500 requests for directions after 8hrs of building and refreshing a large route.

You can still use GM, but you'll have to do what AviatorTroy suggested: break it up into several individual maps.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
My guess is you hit the limit for way points because you asked for dirctions between the way points.

You're limited to 2, 500 'requests' for directions per day. Every time you refresh the map you're resending requests for all the current directions; that could easily add up to over 2, 500 requests for directions after 8hrs of building and refreshing a large route.

You can still use GM, but you'll have to do what AviatorTroy suggested: break it up into several individual maps.
That's exactly what happened!

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #15
Cerberus83
The Wingman

Oddometer: 142
You can also try TyreToTravel (also free)...
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote