User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
brendonb11 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Question Switched to foam air filter

So, I got a chance to ride my 2007 KLR for about 130 miles today with the new uni filter. Upon starting I immediately noticed that my bike was louder. and it had a little more umfh!
It also sounds more wet, if that makes any sense. With that said, around 4k, especially in 4th gear, something weird happens- it doesn't surge or lunge (nothing drastic), but it gurgles! once I down shift, it goes away...

The last few months were 'winter maintenance', with an occasional ride (couple in Jan an 3 in feb). The new add after xmas was 16t front...it's made the highway rpm range awesome! and the low range perform slightly different- so maybe I'm not used to that yet..

or could it be that the new air filter isn't seated right- or over oiled?

I pulled the plug 'cause it seems like it's a 'lean issue', though it looks ok...[i think]

Typically, when switching from a K&N to a Uni, does one have to re-clip the carb needle? I rode it 2 weeks ago with the K&N and it was totally fine. so, I'd rather not mess with the carb (if it ain't broke, don't fix it)- Again, it's not surging or sputtering. It kinda gurgles, sounds like its under water- when I downshift and raise the rpms it goes away. Problem only appears approx 40-50mph ~4k rpm.

thoughts??
brendonb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
That looks pretty lean to me, and I'd guess that the gurgle happens under those conditions due to the specific throttle position and rpm combination. try to replicate the condition in a different gear and see what happens.

Foam filters tend to flow a bit better than the gauze type like the K&N, so you are probably running lean due to that. If you have factory jetting, then you're exaggerating an already lean setup. Either try shimming the needle or moving to the next clip position (if you have other clip grooves) and then do plug chops from there to see what you need to do next, if anything.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
brendonb11 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
Foam filters tend to flow a bit better than the gauze type like the K&N, so you are probably running lean due to that.
That is what I thought off the bat- more air + same amt fuel= lean. Hence pulling the plug.

Ah, I failed to mention I have a stage1 dynojet kit in there...

I'll take her out tomorrow and try to replicate the problem in another range.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:53 AM   #4
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
You didn't say what exhaust you are running. The UNI filter, great. The KLX needle, great. But exhaust flow plays a huge part in carb setup as well....
Old 03-03-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
That looks pretty lean to me, and I'd guess that the gurgle happens under those conditions due to the specific throttle position and rpm combination. try to replicate the condition in a different gear and see what happens.

Foam filters tend to flow a bit better than the gauze type like the K&N, so you are probably running lean due to that. If you have factory jetting, then you're exaggerating an already lean setup. Either try shimming the needle or moving to the next clip position (if you have other clip grooves) and then do plug chops from there to see what you need to do next, if anything.
Plug does look a little lean.

The K&N should flow more air, and the UNI would flow a little less, but filter better. Seems like it would run leaner with the K&N.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Plug does look a little lean.

The K&N should flow more air, and the UNI would flow a little less, but filter better. Seems like it would run leaner with the K&N.
Some independent tests have shown the K&N flows less air than even the stock filter, plus lets through larger particulate..... Go figure..
Old 03-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
brendonb11 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
You didn't say what exhaust you are running. The UNI filter, great. The KLX needle, great. But exhaust flow plays a huge part in carb setup as well....

I have a Jardine exhaust...
Old 03-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Nice full flow can. I had the best AF data across the RPM range under load when I was running the CVK40 with the KLX needle on the 3rd groove, 142.5 main, stock pilot 2 1/2 turns out, desnorkled, and L-mod, UNI filter.