ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
twowheels03 OP
Adventurer
 
twowheels03's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: RTW/ NZ NOW
Oddometer: 87
Shipping to OZ

Hello inmates,

Anyone got recent info on shipping to Melbourne or Sydney. Looking for a recommended agent.

Anyone got experience with air or sea.

Cheers

Paul
twowheels03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:40 AM   #2
paturoa
Gnarly Adventurer
 
paturoa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Oddometer: 143
Shipped a couple of Bikes to Melbourne and back 3 years ago.

Never believe what a shipping agent says. There will be a bunch more costs. Translation, they fucking lie, well at least mine did. We used GT Logistics.
paturoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:49 AM   #3
trustme
Studly Adventurer
 
trustme's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Auckland , New Zealand
Oddometer: 875
Look at flying it. Talk to Qantas or Air NZ

It is the hidden charges with sea freight that tend to catch you out. Every one & I mean everyone wants to clip the ticket.

Hemuli got a Harley shipping crate to bring his BMW from Oz to NZ by air, kept the crate here & then air freighted to the US

Overall he felt it was more cost effective & user friendly.

trustme screwed with this post 03-28-2014 at 12:55 AM
trustme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:23 AM   #4
twowheels03 OP
Adventurer
 
twowheels03's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: RTW/ NZ NOW
Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
Look at flying it. Talk to Qantas or Air NZ

It is the hidden charges with sea freight that tend to catch you out. Every one & I mean everyone wants to clip the ticket.

Hemuli got a Harley shipping crate to bring his BMW from Oz to NZ by air, kept the crate here & then air freighted to the US

Overall he felt it was more cost effective & user friendly.
Thanks, yes I know about the port charges etc, I'm after a reliable agent to deal with the carriers.
twowheels03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:34 AM   #5
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Gold Coast
Oddometer: 2,275
There are catches with flying bikes, like empty fuel tank, (no oil ?) but the only person I know did it had no surprises with that.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:30 AM   #6
foggyred
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: ashburton nz
Oddometer: 30
hey there
me and two mates have just shipped are bikes to Melbourne for a quick lap of oz, I got about five quotes from various shipping companies and we finally went with mainfreight the guy you need to talk to is jeff Larson
jeff.larsen@mainfreight.com or 04 8165250.
he gave us a quote and when we got the bill it was a bit cheaper.
if you need any more info just shout.foggyred
foggyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
twowheels03 OP
Adventurer
 
twowheels03's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: RTW/ NZ NOW
Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyred View Post
hey there
me and two mates have just shipped are bikes to Melbourne for a quick lap of oz, I got about five quotes from various shipping companies and we finally went with mainfreight the guy you need to talk to is jeff Larson
jeff.larsen@mainfreight.com or 04 8165250.
he gave us a quote and when we got the bill it was a bit cheaper.
if you need any more info just shout.foggyred
Great help, Thanks Foggyred.I'll give him a go.

Paul
twowheels03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Oddometer: 1,514
+ 1 for Jeff Laursen. He shipped our bikes to and from the US with no worries. Bike freight is his specialty
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #9
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser
 
clintnz's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Rotoiti, New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,056
Get a quote off Go Logistics also, we flew our bikes over & shipped back in 09, no surprises with the bill. Airfreight was only slightly more expensive than sea, but a much better chance of getting it on time. We drained the fuel & then they had to get a dangerous goods cert to fly, have heard of people getting away with no DG cert but technically you can't have a battery in it then.

Of course freight companies are way more likely to give you the time of day if you can give them a crate rather than a loose bike. Sydney should be cheaper & there's less paperwork to get on the road in NSW.

Cheers
Clint
__________________
'03 KTM 640 LC4 Enduro

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:40 PM   #10
twowheels03 OP
Adventurer
 
twowheels03's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: RTW/ NZ NOW
Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
Get a quote off Go Logistics also, we flew our bikes over & shipped back in 09, no surprises with the bill. Airfreight was only slightly more expensive than sea, but a much better chance of getting it on time. We drained the fuel & then they had to get a dangerous goods cert to fly, have heard of people getting away with no DG cert but technically you can't have a battery in it then.

Of course freight companies are way more likely to give you the time of day if you can give them a crate rather than a loose bike. Sydney should be cheaper & there's less paperwork to get on the road in NSW.

Cheers
Clint
Cheers Clint,

I'll Google them. Off to the south island next week, hope this warm dry weather holds out.

Paul
twowheels03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #11
foggyred
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: ashburton nz
Oddometer: 30
hey paul im in the south island one hour past Christchurch, if you need a workshop or any help down this way just sing out plus if you happen to be around methven on Easter Saturday they have motorcycle street racing going on a very good day out ,cheers foggyred
foggyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:50 PM   #12
twowheels03 OP
Adventurer
 
twowheels03's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: RTW/ NZ NOW
Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyred View Post
hey paul im in the south island one hour past Christchurch, if you need a workshop or any help down this way just sing out plus if you happen to be around methven on Easter Saturday they have motorcycle street racing going on a very good day out ,cheers foggyred
Thanks for the kind offer, I do plan to ride all of the east coast.

Cheers

Paul
twowheels03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #13
Kempy
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: NewEnglandZealand
Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by paturoa View Post
Shipped a couple of Bikes to Melbourne and back 3 years ago.

Never believe what a shipping agent says. There will be a bunch more costs. Translation, they fucking lie, well at least mine did. We used GT Logistics.
Hi would you still have a list of the extra charges just curious if they are included in the quotes i have coming in ?

cheers
Kempy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014