User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2014, 11:10 PM   #1
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,700
My ????? Adventure

Posted this on KB but thought I'd stick it here as I know some you fine folks don't haunt that side of town much these days but as this is an extremely important life decision I need all the info I can get before the trigger pulling ceremony commences.

Am looking at all options for my next bike and like the Husky TR650 Terra (mainly because the price is quite appealing) but don't know much about them. Can anybody out there give me some feedback on it - good, bad or indifferent?
I understand the fuel range is in the vicinity of 300-320k's, is this correct?
What's the power delivery like?
DIY servicing - valve checks?
How comfy is the seat? Prefer it didn't have the cutaway but that can be fixed with a seat concepts.
Suspension seems to be and issue, mainly with the front forks which are non adjustable and quite soft?
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,109
MXNUT had one. He'd be the person to ask. Also Stefan Innocente over on facebook

Did you see this thread? . Theres some hyperlinks to other information

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:12 AM   #3
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
MXNUT had one. He'd be the person to ask. Also Stefan Innocente over on facebook

Did you see this thread? . Theres some hyperlinks to other information
Cheers Steve, Yup spotted the ADVRider thread, but there's nothing quite like the kiwi perspective on a bike.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:28 AM   #4
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Hi Mate, sorry don't know much about the terra except that it shares version of the engine on my bike (10k internval, 20k valve checks, very reliable, very fuel efficient, terra has a few extra ponies) but the bike is much heavier than mine and than 690. I wouldn't consider it after a 690 but what do i know

My G650X Challenge, Bike build thread on
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post15320987
pampaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:06 AM   #5
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampaX View Post
Hi Mate, sorry don't know much about the terra except that it shares version of the engine on my bike (10k internval, 20k valve checks, very reliable, very fuel efficient, terra has a few extra ponies) but the bike is much heavier than mine and than 690. I wouldn't consider it after a 690 but what do i know
howdy - yup its not a 690 but on flip side it don't cost nearly as much as one eva. Am carrying a few souvenirs from the KTM's I've owned so thinking it maybe time for a more sedate bike going forwards so am really only comparing to a DR/KLR.

At the same time I'm thinking about an adventurised EXC450 or 500 but might be a stretch to make it comfy enough for the road for my broken old carcass plus the lack of a cush drive bugs me - probably unnecessarily. Like any bike some guys rave about the Terra and others less so. Makes it difficult to get objective opinion and don't know anyone in the Bay who has one to interrogate.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:14 AM   #6
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
howdy - yup its not a 690 but on flip side it don't cost nearly as much as one eva. Am carrying a few souvenirs from the KTM's I've owned so thinking it maybe time for a more sedate bike going forwards so am really only comparing to a DR/KLR.

At the same time I'm thinking about an adventurised EXC450 or 500 but might be a stretch to make it comfy enough for the road for my broken old carcass plus the lack of a cush drive bugs me - probably unnecessarily. Like any bike some guys rave about the Terra and others less so. Makes it difficult to get objective opinion and don't know anyone in the Bay who has one to interrogate.
trail bikes make feck awful road bikes.

a Terra would seem to be a nice upmarket dr with better everything (except weight?).

Are they not likely to have low resale given their fast approaching orphan status?

hasn’t Oscar ridden one a fair bit?

will you keep the beta?
Old 08-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #7
marlboroughlad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,240
have you seen the 630 in whakatane? safari tank etc. been on for a while now...
marlboroughlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #8
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
MXNUT had one.
Mark had a TE630 I think - totally different machine. Swapped for a 690 after not too many k's IIRC.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?

clintnz screwed with this post 08-24-2014 at 03:24 PM
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #9
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,438
I know Mark (MXnut) had something Husky last year and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. He has an excellent knowledge of bikes and mechanical things, you should PM him as I'm not sure how often he looks on the net at the moment. He's gone all quiet since he broke himself (something about not allowed to ride until healed up...).
Old 08-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Quote:
trail bikes make feck awful road bikes.

a Terra would seem to be a nice upmarket dr with better everything (except weight?).

Are they not likely to have low resale given their fast approaching orphan status?

hasn’t Oscar ridden one a fair bit?

will you keep the beta?
Nothin is easy when trying to get the right bike. When I get to the gravel, beach or 4wd tracks I want the EXC weight, handling and power. But getting there I don't mind if its a comfy old Goldwing. Is there a bike like that out there with a transformer button on it?

The Terra (from my enquiries) is a better more modern KLR rather than DR. But it has 58HP, FI, better suspension. It is heavier than both the other two (dry weight, 10kg on the KLR). It seems fine for gravel and beach riding, and handled gently will get through moderately rough terrain. I took my 990 into some pretty gnarly stuff - 210kg bike against the Terra's 165kg (dry weights) - Look where Steve gets the supertanker through

The orphan status don't worry me as the motor has been round for ages on the GS's. However if I do buy one the purchase price will have to reflect the potential resale value or lack thereof, being a discontinued bike with a fairly brief sales history.

Have received a pm from MXNut about his which was a TE630 so not the same bike. As long as I'm fully informed on what I would be getting my self into, I'm happy to decide from there. Trouble is these things aint been around that long so objective info is a bit scarce.

If I go for a softer adv bike which is looking likely - Ideally I would sell the beta and buy a 250 Freeride. I love the beta's get over any obstacle ability and with the longrange kit on it, its a pretty sweat bike so more than happy to keep it as my woods bike.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #11
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer: 291
Simple really, just load your favourite 250-400 trailie on the trailer or bike rack of your car/van, and drive it to the fun places.
Everyone into adv I think, seeks what you do.....I know I have for years! Years on a DR have convinced me to do just that, I have my Ulysses for 'road biased' adventure, and a z400 that goes on/in the back on any of my 4 wheelers( some of wich I can even sleep in!) to go special places at the end of many miles of blacktop.
That's my solution

I am no gynaecologist, but I would be happy to take a look.............................................. ......................................
Ducatijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #12
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
you need one of these http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Posi...M5NDYzLmh0bQ==

My G650X Challenge, Bike build thread on
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post15320987
pampaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #13
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 3,006
It's a hard road to find the perfect bike son...

I'm surpised no-one has started a thread about this before

The problem: Compromise.

Thre are bikes that do many things well, and bikes that do some things brilliantly. But no bikes that do everything perfectly.

Annnnd everyone's idea of what the perfect mix is... is different. Based on not just the bikes capabilities but the intended purpose, common terrain, budget, weight, height, strength, skill, ego, and other assorted biases such as favourite brand and even colour.

In short if you can't find one bike that fits your magic mix of what you consider to be the ideal, then you're probably going to need two bikes.
(The two less desireble alternatives are to spend a fortune building your utopiamobile or just suck it up and suffer quietly.)
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Thumb Kiwipeet pretty much nails it IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeet View Post
I'm surpised no-one has started a thread about this before

The problem: Compromise.

Thre are bikes that do many things well, and bikes that do some things brilliantly. But no bikes that do everything perfectly.

Annnnd everyone's idea of what the perfect mix is... is different. Based on not just the bikes capabilities but the intended purpose, common terrain, budget, weight, height, strength, skill, ego, and other assorted biases such as favourite brand and even colour.

In short if you can't find one bike that fits your magic mix of what you consider to be the ideal, then you're probably going to need two bikes.
(The two less desireble alternatives are to spend a fortune building your utopiamobile or just suck it up and suffer quietly.)

Marty - I'd invoked the same 'Speights' wisdom (original reference - hard to find the perfect woman) - post didn't appear as I lost connectivity from here in SA

You've had a DR I believe - they're excellent as a general all purpose tool in my view - in fact right now if I was required to have only one bike it'd be a DR650 - so versatile, cheap (relatively) not fiddly

My post last evening was to say there's a Steve from Palmerston North who I've met when riding with Neil Wood and BRR who has a Husky of the type you contemplate. He's no slug on it and appears to enjoy it very much. His previous machine was a Honda Dominator I believe. Those X Challenge or even a 'Country' might also warrant consideration.

Wade (of your Parish) doesn't seem to cause his KLR to slow him down. Clearly a case of skill and attitude :)

Another Husky fan - although his is of the previous generation is Bill Biber who I don't believe is active in this forum

Good luck - hope you're continuing to heal well

Cheers Oaters.
Oaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #15
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 3,006
Ok, so i'll go further...

For me The ideal weapon was a 950 Adventure. And if I was doing more dirt stuff a 950 SE.

Mainly because in my utopia, having something that can munch miles effortlessly and in relative comfort is what I want. In Oz I was chasing guy on 450's throuh the the VIC high country on a 200Kg+ bike. Knowing that they're better riders than me, on much lighter bikes. (ideal recipe for: "instant accident - just add speed".)

Yep there were a few times I really wanted a 450 or 690 so I could chase them. But on those long motorway stretches home... it was them staring longingly at my Gel seat and windshield...

So now I ask you. Whats you're of an adventure bike? Thousands of K's of road, a few hundred of gravel and hand ful of dirt? or the other way around?
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote