ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #196
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot
 
Mark_S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Kapiti NZ
Oddometer: 1,694
I'm back and I now have 2 black 09 klrs nestling under the carport

Got to auckland via a cheap flight from Paraparaumu - arrived at 8am Sat and the existing owner kindly picked me up and after the deal was done lead me to the highway (otherwise I'd still be roaming around lost in satanic suburbia).

Auckalnd is a shithole

I came down from Auckland via Clevedon - down the east coast road then across and down to Whangamata and Waihi then accidentally across to Paeroa and down to Te Aroha (looked for Mark) then down the neat Te Aroha-Gordon Rd (gale force side winds - yuck) then down to Rotorua (missing out on a cuppa with Clint and Rosie cause I was late) and down to Taupo where I stayed in an overpriced dog of a motel.

Awoke this morning to torrential rain and it stayed that way all the way to Napier (tip: don't open your visor when trying to pass a truck in pissing rain - your glasses instantly get covered in water and when you close the visor again in desperation everything instantly fogs up - and you're still only halfway past the frigging truck...)

Rain stopped for a while in Hastings and I tootled down to Waipawa via Middle Road - awesome road but lots of wet leaves on the corners)

Late lunch at Waipukurau then out in the rain to Porangahau - Pongaroa (lots of loose stock - sheep and I can vouch for new brakes being better than old klr brakes....) on Pahiatua then over the track and home via Shannon.

Arrived home very soggy about 6pm - 1000k test ride.

Had a great ride and bike was exactly what I expected

filled up at Hastings - 360km later I still haven't hit reserve
brakes are better at both ends
engine runs out of puff compared to old one but I can fix that (and hopefully not kill the fuel economy like I did on the old one....)
front tire is original and now has over 9000k and still has reasonable tread - and didn't slip once on the way down (90% of trip was on wet roads) - very impressive. Half worn T63 rear did surprisingly well in the wet as well.

now to plan the big farkleswapectomy
__________________
These are the best days
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:20 AM   #197
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer
 
bart-nz's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 680
Good on ya. At least you came to your senses and bought a bike semi capable of riding knarly stuff.

When's the next Taumeranui, 42nd, fishers, fongamomina, get lost with rooted wheel bearings in the back blocks trip?

Steve, how's ya back? When are you riding again?

OK, I'm bored and need a ride.
__________________
Bart's adventure: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541628

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #198
Box'a'bits
In need of repair
 
Box'a'bits's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,107
Sounds like you had fun.

Bart, the back due to get a service this Wed. We'll see what the mechanic says, but performance has been going backwards.
__________________
My '91 R100GS thread is here
My Ride photos are here

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #199
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot
 
Mark_S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Kapiti NZ
Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart-nz View Post
Good on ya. At least you came to your senses and bought a bike semi capable of riding knarly stuff.

When's the next Taumeranui, 42nd, fishers, fongamomina, get lost with rooted wheel bearings in the back blocks trip?

Steve, how's ya back? When are you riding again?

OK, I'm bored and need a ride.
Well give me a couple of weekends to get the basic major service, uncorking stuff sorted and I'll be up for something.

I'll happily do a 42nd Fischers Whanga loop if'n thats what you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Sounds like you had fun.

Bart, the back due to get a service this Wed. We'll see what the mechanic says, but performance has been going backwards.
The ride was as fun as a wet ride is ever going to be - at least I'm getting a bit more confident on wet surfaces

Well here's hoping the result is better than you hoped and the regression is only temporary (unlike your emotional regression which is permanent).

Keep us posted.
__________________
These are the best days
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #200
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser
 
clintnz's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Rotoiti, New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,367
Sorry we missed ya. I should have enquired as to your plans as you could have come & stayed with us in Reporoa, doh!

Have fun farkling the new KLR. We could be up for a weekend foray in a few weeks too. By then my new headlight setup should be done so I'll need to go for a ride in the dark in crap weather to test it out. Have you guys ever been to the River Valley Lodge out the back of Taihape? Could be a good spot for a meetup.

Cheers
Clint
__________________
'03 KTM 640 LC4 Enduro

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #201
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot
 
Mark_S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Kapiti NZ
Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
Sorry we missed ya. I should have enquired as to your plans as you could have come & stayed with us in Reporoa, doh!

Have fun farkling the new KLR. We could be up for a weekend foray in a few weeks too. By then my new headlight setup should be done so I'll need to go for a ride in the dark in crap weather to test it out. Have you guys ever been to the River Valley Lodge out the back of Taihape? Could be a good spot for a meetup.

Cheers
Clint
I'd be keen - the Taihape - Raetahi - Wanganui - Ashurst area contains some of the best twisty roads (sealed and gravel) in NZ

Always keen to get into that area for a ride - although I think I might have done my quota of crap weather riding for a while and I already know the klr headlights are some of the best on any mid size adv bike.
__________________
These are the best days
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #202
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot
 
Mark_S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Kapiti NZ
Oddometer: 1,694
well it's official

I'm bored with the klr

bored bored bored

I mean really really bored

so....

Today I rode a Moto Guzzi Sport Scura v11 - holey shit batman - how can 90 odd horsepower feel so meaty. The carbon fiber mufflers connect the engine directly to your soul.



makes the bmw1100 sport I rode a while back seem so dull and lifeless

so so tempting but so so impractical

So I think I'll test ride a Griso (which I've always loved the look of) and maybe a scrambler while I start to soften up she who must be appeased....

anyone got any thoughts on Guzzi's?
__________________
These are the best days
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:54 PM   #203
innathyzit
AKA Woodman
 
innathyzit's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nelson NZ
Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
I'm bored with the klr

bored bored bored

I mean really really bored

so....

Today I rode a Moto Guzzi Sport Scura v11 - holey shit batman - how can 90 odd horsepower feel so meaty. The carbon fiber mufflers connect the engine directly to your soul.



makes the bmw1100 sport I rode a while back seem so dull and lifeless

so so tempting but so so impractical

So I think I'll test ride a Griso (which I've always loved the look of) and maybe a scrambler while I start to soften up she who must be appeased....

anyone got any thoughts on Guzzi's?

Why is that impractical? its got a packrack. Looks lovely too.

Get something that can be taken a wee way off the beaten track if need be. Maybe a GS? I can see the appeal already.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:35 AM   #204
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nu Va Ze Lon
Oddometer: 1,696
All I know about Guzzies is Ewan McGregor rides one. A scrambler would be cool though.




I know where you can get a reasonably 2nd hand KTM690 with hardly any scratches on it all really, and a chassis setup to go round left handers real easy for not much less than the cost of a brand new one. no way you'd get bored with that in a hurry
__________________
My KTM 390 Adventure - we live in hope!
My KTM 690 - RIP
My Rev3 Trials Adventures
Night Falcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:48 AM   #205
guzzitony
Guzton
 
guzzitony's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Wellytoon. NZ
Oddometer: 161
pm me buddy, join the dark side, bahaha....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
I'm bored with the klr

bored bored bored

I mean really really bored

so....

Today I rode a Moto Guzzi Sport Scura v11 - holey shit batman - how can 90 odd horsepower feel so meaty. The carbon fiber mufflers connect the engine directly to your soul.



makes the bmw1100 sport I rode a while back seem so dull and lifeless

so so tempting but so so impractical

So I think I'll test ride a Griso (which I've always loved the look of) and maybe a scrambler while I start to soften up she who must be appeased....

anyone got any thoughts on Guzzi's?
what could possibly go wrong?
__________________


SHEDSAM- objects given/collected and stored in a
shed/mancave. esp car/bike parts.
guzzitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:19 AM   #206
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer
 
bart-nz's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 680
Im trying to think of a smart arsed comment, but sorry to disapoint...I like it.
__________________
Bart's adventure: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541628

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:23 AM   #207
Voltaire
Pissedmoaninglapper
 
Voltaire's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Auckland,New Zealand
Oddometer: 1,341
Quote:
Auckalnd is a shithole
Thats a bit harsh

May I suggest you take a Ducati 900 IE for a ride.

Good luck with Red Baron, I'm still waiting for them to tell me when the ST4S I was interested in ready for a test ride.....oh too late, I bought one already for way less.
ST4s's are a bargain and you get that 996 motor....whoo hooo. $6500
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #208
tri boy
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: No nuke zone
Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post

Get something that can be taken a wee way off the beaten track if need be.
Ahemm,
Mark S knows the exact twin he wants/needs.
Sadly he knows he is out of his depth trying to assimilate with that rarefied roundup of rapscallion.
__________________
Trav'ln great distance....cause i just gotta.
tri boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #209
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot
 
Mark_S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Kapiti NZ
Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
Why is that impractical? its got a packrack. Looks lovely too.

Get something that can be taken a wee way off the beaten track if need be. Maybe a GS? I can see the appeal already.
if you mean airhead GS - while vary capable bikes that have character - I find them yawn inducing to ride. If I just wanted capable I'd stay with my klr. late model Gs's are a bit too white collar for a blue collar guy like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
A scrambler would be cool though.
In fact its the only 'all roads' bike I can think of that a) I can afford and b) ignites some fire in my boiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
I know where you can get a reasonably 2nd hand KTM690 with hardly any scratches on it all really, and a chassis setup to go round left handers real easy for not much less than the cost of a brand new one. no way you'd get bored with that in a hurry
If you throw in that prime Louisiana swamp land you we trying to sell they'd make a great matched pair

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzitony View Post
what could possibly go wrong?
My wife changing the door locks while I'm out riding my new bike....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
May I suggest you take a Ducati 900 IE for a ride.
ST4s's are a bargain and you get that 996 motor....whoo hooo. $6500
Is that the S model?
Thats a lot of bike for the money - how many km's
I've never ridden a Ducati - can mere mortals have fun on them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
Ahemm,
Mark S knows the exact twin he wants/needs.
Sadly he knows he is out of his depth trying to assimilate with that rarefied roundup of rapscallion.
speak english you swine (use 3 letter words if you want Bart to understand)
actually I've emailed a guy I know who's been unable to sell his scrambler and offered a sweet klr plus a fistful of dollars

I really want to take a Griso for a ride though....
nearest ones are in Christchurch or Hamiltron....

oh well back out to the shed to continue prepping the klr for sale.....
__________________
These are the best days
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #210
innathyzit
AKA Woodman
 
innathyzit's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nelson NZ
Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
oh well back out to the shed to continue prepping another klr for sale.....
Fixed, we obviously going through the same crisis.

Maybe KLR ownership is only good fror 5-6 years. Perfect bike out of the box, but riding lately had lost its edge for me and something had to change. Took the GS up takaka hill yesterday and rode into canaan downs. Loved it
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014