What the KLE could have been... http://www.rallytwin.com/gallery.htm
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:57 AM   #258
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
I'm surprised how long its dragging on for - I was expecting it to be resolved in a couple of weeks.
Finally resolved - 690 has been written off
Old 02-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #259
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-671263451.htm probly get for a tad over 10k.

Dunno wot they goi lke tho.
as a replacement for the klr - maybe
as a bike that lights my fire - nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
I suspect the klr is a better road bike (smoother,roomier decent rack) - which is where most klr's get used. Off road is another thing entirely

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeet View Post
Yes the world really needs a $50k kle. That said a kle800 at a klr'sih price would be pretty hard to beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Finally resolved - 690 has been written off
So you must have some thoughts for a replacement? cmon spill the beans.
Given that you've had some relatively flash bikes where to next?

On a slightly different note - can I come up and sit on your trials bike to see if I like the add on seat - tank?
Old 02-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #260
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Quote:
So you must have some thoughts for a replacement? cmon spill the beans.
Given that you've had some relatively flash bikes where to next?
Haven't a clue mate I want a bike capable of handling the odd single track so light weight, with some grunt, good springzies, plus be comfortable on road with least 350klm range, good service intervals, able to carry some weight and lift the front reasonable easy in 3rd gear, easy to work on with cheap parts and with a bit of mongrel - got an ideas?

Quote:
On a slightly different note - can I come up and sit on your trials bike to see if I like the add on seat - tank?
Yup, no worries. Its round at Jims place at the moment sleeping next to his 300. He lives on an orchard so you could take it for we spin and perve at the 3hundy .

The seating position is pretty cramped for my 6 foot frame so I don't use it for long highway excursions but its perfect for resting my legs and back while fanging around at the river or out in the bush and the extra fuel capacity is awesome. You don't even notice it on the bike. Let me know when ya plan on coming over and I'll sort a viewing & caffeine ingestion.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #261
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,242
I reckon the reason for the lack of decent adventure bikes is that it is a niche market, so the GFC has put an end to any real focus from the manufacturers. That, and the fact that adventurers are supreme tight-arses means they struggle to pay for an off-the-shelf bike - look at the price and sales volume differences between the 640 Enduro and Adventure.

Some of the bikes are getting pretty flimsy, too. A mate showed me a crashed Versys he was getting back on the road, it was made of cheese. Nothing metal had any strength to it: forks, brackets, fasteners, the lot. Swing on a (rusty, naturally) bolt with any enthusiasm and it will either strip (head or either thread), or bend anything the other end of the spanner accidentally hits. It was ridiculous.

Smooth, exciting, cheap: pick any two! The 640 is exciting and cheap (-ish, due to age). The 690 is smooth and exciting. The KLR is smooth and cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #262
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeet View Post
Yes the world really needs a $50k kle.
WTF? $68,000 USD for a fancy KLE? WTF?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:11 AM   #263
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Back in the old days, a dual purpose/adventure bike was an oversized dirt bike. Now an adventure bike is a dressed up (or down) road bike.

The problem is that dirt bikes have evolved. With the death of 2 strokes, 4 strokes have become the hard core MXer’s. With the new high tech 4 strokes, there’s no room for the oversized, road legal, slugger version. KTM are the only ones catering for this niche market, but being a niche, they can get away with charging 17k for a single banger over sized dirt bike. Have you seen what sort of multy cylinder road bike you can get for 17k?

The world’s fcuked.

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:26 AM   #264
Old Kiwi#99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
What Kawasaki should do with the KLR. Hard to understand why they don't-virtually nothing new to make, its a parts bin special.
https://plus.google.com/photos/113516752972744472822/albums/5750945600098648641?banner=pwa
Old Kiwi#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #265
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,152
I don't think they need to do anything to the KLR. If you like them get one if not buy a KTM690. No need to change something that's doing a good job of what it was designed for.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #266
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
Kawasaki have decided to upgrade the KLR!

As of mid year bikes will be coming out of the factory with significantly harder springs and rebound, a new seat and a new graphics design.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #267
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Haven't a clue mate I want a bike capable of handling the odd single track so light weight, with some grunt, good springzies, plus be comfortable on road with least 350klm range, good service intervals, able to carry some weight and lift the front reasonable easy in 3rd gear, easy to work on with cheap parts and with a bit of mongrel - got an ideas?.
I don't know if you are man enough but something like this

Quote:
Yup, no worries. Its round at Jims place at the moment sleeping next to his 300. He lives on an orchard so you could take it for we spin and perve at the 3hundy .

The seating position is pretty cramped for my 6 foot frame so I don't use it for long highway excursions but its perfect for resting my legs and back while fanging around at the river or out in the bush and the extra fuel capacity is awesome. You don't even notice it on the bike. Let me know when ya plan on coming over and I'll sort a viewing & caffeine ingestion.
apparently the weather is going to shit for this weekend so maybe next weekend sometime? what suits you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
I reckon the reason for the lack of decent adventure bikes is that it is a niche market, so the GFC has put an end to any real focus from the manufacturers. That, and the fact that adventurers are supreme tight-arses means they struggle to pay for an off-the-shelf bike - look at the price and sales volume differences between the 640 Enduro and Adventure.

Some of the bikes are getting pretty flimsy, too. A mate showed me a crashed Versys he was getting back on the road, it was made of cheese. Nothing metal had any strength to it: forks, brackets, fasteners, the lot. Swing on a (rusty, naturally) bolt with any enthusiasm and it will either strip (head or either thread), or bend anything the other end of the spanner accidentally hits. It was ridiculous.

Smooth, exciting, cheap: pick any two! The 640 is exciting and cheap (-ish, due to age). The 690 is smooth and exciting. The KLR is smooth and cheap.
I hope you realize how much your nasty comments about the scrambler suspension upset Tim - once he stopped blubbering he ordered some fork inserts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart-nz View Post
Back in the old days, a dual purpose/adventure bike was an oversized dirt bike. Now an adventure bike is a dressed up (or down) road bike.

The problem is that dirt bikes have evolved. With the death of 2 strokes, 4 strokes have become the hard core MXer’s. With the new high tech 4 strokes, there’s no room for the oversized, road legal, slugger version. KTM are the only ones catering for this niche market, but being a niche, they can get away with charging 17k for a single banger over sized dirt bike. Have you seen what sort of multy cylinder road bike you can get for 17k?

The world’s fcuked.
I suppose its rich old bastards that buy new bikes and they want big flash bikes that look like they could go off road. Only the snorfest DR and lambkiller 690's really fit your definition of an adv bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Kiwi#99 View Post
What Kawasaki should do with the KLR. Hard to understand why they don't-virtually nothing new to make, its a parts bin special.
https://plus.google.com/photos/113516752972744472822/albums/5750945600098648641?banner=pwa
It does seem odd - sell it for $13-$14k and it would do really well you'd think - but maybe they'd just be selling to their existing klr market - effectively selling the same number of units but having to support 2 bikes not 1??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
I don't think they need to do anything to the KLR. If you like them get one if not buy a KTM690. No need to change something that's doing a good job of what it was designed for.
Unfortunately you've probably hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
Kawasaki have decided to upgrade the KLR!

As of mid year bikes will be coming out of the factory with significantly harder springs and rebound, a new seat and a new graphics design.
Damn - my one will be valueless now....
hows the health?
Old 02-06-2014, 02:10 PM   #268
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Damn - my one will be valueless now....
hows the health?
It was worth something to start with?

Day to day stuff is slowly improving but did a 100km road ride yesterday and was so exhausted by the end of it I had to go to bed for an hour when i got home, I wasn't physically able to do anything else.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #269
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Quote:
I don't know if you are man enough but something like this
Im really hoping that after test riding Wades I'll be totally blown over by them and discover what an all inspiring power wagon they really are....contrary to 99% of reports I've read about them.... hey, ya cant believe everything ya read.

Quote:

apparently the weather is going to shit for this weekend so maybe next weekend sometime? what suits you?
next week would be fine, taking my bride out this weekend for putting up with me for soo long....say Saturday some time would be great.

You'll need to work out a bit to handle the Rev3 though as she's a bit of a handful for the unwary - awesome torque, sublime suspenders, and out standing handling....just hope it starts as haven't had it going for a while I'll pm ya my contact details.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #270
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Im really hoping that after test riding Wades I'll be totally blown over by them and discover what an all inspiring power wagon they really are....contrary to 99% of reports I've read about them.... hey, ya cant believe everything ya read.

next week would be fine, taking my bride out this weekend for putting up with me for soo long....say Saturday some time would be great.

You'll need to work out a bit to handle the Rev3 though as she's a bit of a handful for the unwary - awesome torque, sublime suspenders, and out standing handling....just hope it starts as haven't had it going for a while I'll pm ya my contact details.

You may well be surprised what a KLR is capable off. Its all very well having 100 hp, but if you are ony using 40 then the rest is a waste of time.. Yeah that grunt is nice on road, but offroad, not necesaary to ride fast.
innathyzit is online now   Reply With Quote