Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #271
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
Yeah that grunt is nice on road, but offroad, not necesaary to ride fast.
Post stone age era suspension however, may come in handy...

Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #272
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
Post stone age era suspension however, may come in handy...

Clint
Will give you that, KLR standard suspenders aren't that good for riding fast offroad, but there is some good stuff for them out there.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #273
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
It was worth something to start with?
Bastardo
Quote:
Day to day stuff is slowly improving but did a 100km road ride yesterday and was so exhausted by the end of it I had to go to bed for an hour when i got home, I wasn't physically able to do anything else.
That sounds pretty nasty - hope the improvements continue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Im really hoping that after test riding Wades I'll be totally blown over by them and discover what an all inspiring power wagon they really are....contrary to 99% of reports I've read about them.... hey, ya cant believe everything ya read.
If you want a comfy cheap road bike that will go just about anywhere they are pretty hard to beat. Just don't expect flash stuff like suspension or acceleration

Quote:
next week would be fine, taking my bride out this weekend for putting up with me for soo long....say Saturday some time would be great.

You'll need to work out a bit to handle the Rev3 though as she's a bit of a handful for the unwary - awesome torque, sublime suspenders, and out standing handling....just hope it starts as haven't had it going for a while I'll pm ya my contact details.
Thanks Marty

Quote:
You may well be surprised what a KLR is capable off. Its all very well having 100 hp, but if you are ony using 40 then the rest is a waste of time.. Yeah that grunt is nice on road, but offroad, not necesaary to ride fast.
I'm not even sure its needed on road either (one up). I'd like more power but given I only ride at 100-120 I don't often struggle to maintain that sort of speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
Post stone age era suspension however, may come in handy... Clint
All jap 650'sl have stone age suspension. you've got to go the eurotrash way to get some quality gear to start with. Doesn't cost a lot to make a huge improvement to stock though

Quote:
Will give you that, KLR standard suspenders aren't that good for riding fast offroad, but there is some good stuff for them out there.
Even with good suspension the thought of riding any 180kg bike fast off road scares the do-do's out of me. My klr's biggest limiting factor off-road will alway stare at me in the mirror each morning....

Haven't ridden anything this week as I done got a cold. I'm also going to look at cheaper ($5k-$6k) road bikes I could own while keeping the klr
Old 02-09-2014, 01:30 AM   #274
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Mark - with your last comment about $5-6k road bikes - IMO you could do far worse than getting an Oil Head R11XXGS

My very tidy 02 1150 with 90,000 and a lot of Touratech Bling went for $6.5K a little over 12 months ago. They are very capable in lots of areas just not off road - affectionately referred to as 'pigs' by many.

Another pal has just bought a Honda Hornet - worth considering? Not sure about the ergonomics for your frame though.

My R12GS is perfect ergonomically for my tall frame.

Looks like you're having fun with the search - Cheers S
Oaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #275
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaters View Post
Mark - with your last comment about $5-6k road bikes - IMO you could do far worse than getting an Oil Head R11XXGS

My very tidy 02 1150 with 90,000 and a lot of Touratech Bling went for $6.5K a little over 12 months ago. They are very capable in lots of areas just not off road - affectionately referred to as 'pigs' by many.

Another pal has just bought a Honda Hornet - worth considering? Not sure about the ergonomics for your frame though.

My R12GS is perfect ergonomically for my tall frame.

Looks like you're having fun with the search - Cheers S
Your 1150 sounds like good buying - I'd certainly have looked at it if I had been in the market at the time. Never ridden a hornet - I've always liked twins so that’s what I'm focusing on. And yes I intend to enjoy the search as much as I can.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #276
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Mmmmkay

I took this arvo off and drove (couldn’t find the shed keys to set the KLR free for a run....) up to Palmerston North and rode 3 bikes:

2002 VTR1000 - nice engine sexy yellow colour but I couldn’t get comfy and it just didn’t fire me up
2008 SV100S - really liked it - quick enough and quite comfy - might need 25mm or so higher clipons, was ok to sit at 100k ish on and the ride on backroads wasnt jarring.
1996 BMW R1100R - it was pleasant enough to ride but it just screamed 'pipe and slippers'. A very adequate but unexciting bike

I've been quite enjoying the naked bikes I've been riding - you seem to be more aware of your speed and the lack of clutter up the front of the bike is nice. There are a couple of SV1000 naked's on tardme so I might check one of those out. Seems you can pick up a tidy 04-08 sv for 6 to 7k ish. If I got something like that I'd hold onto the klr and see which bike I used the most then sell the other one 6 months down the track.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #277
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 860
Before getting the GS I was seriously considering a few CB1300s that are on trademe. Really like the look and they apparently just stonk along at low revs pretty good. Honda reliability and build quality too.

Remind me again why I got an airhead?
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:55 PM   #278
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,604
I like this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-692981579.htm
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #279
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
I agree. That’d be my pick.

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #280
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Hell yes! However unless it comes with a free super-size pack of self control my licence would only last about a week. I wonder how hard it is to convert SM-SE?

Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #281
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
VTR 1000's also suck gas quicker than a KLR drinks oil. 200 km to a tank taking it easy.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #282
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
VTR 1000's also suck gas quicker than a KLR drinks oil. 200 km to a tank taking it easy.
It's not so much the economy as the tiny tanks. Later ones had bigger tanks. They weren't quite in TL1000 territory but not far from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #283
warewolf
Tyre critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
I hope you realize how much your nasty comments about the scrambler suspension upset Tim - once he stopped blubbering he ordered some fork inserts...
I've been down that road before, and with a Triumph. The problem is that you can improve each of the components somewhat, but it costs a lot of money (eventually) and still the whole package is not as good as a holistic design.

I suppose it depends how attached you are to the base bike.
Quote:
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #284
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
I've been down that road before, and with a Triumph. The problem is that you can improve each of the components somewhat, but it costs a lot of money (eventually) and still the whole package is not as good as a holistic design.

I suppose it depends how attached you are to the base bike.
why cant manufacturers just get their act together and make the perfect bike at an affordable price
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #285
warewolf
Tyre critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
I'm also going to look at cheaper ($5k-$6k) road bikes I could own while keeping the klr
There's a lot of buying for that money, if you can stand the age - they aren't all maintenance nightmares. I picked up a '96 VFR750F with 110Kkm for $3500. It's in pretty good nick. Lots of fun for an old bike, sprightly, comfortable and can be punted through corners pretty well. Interestingly the suspension clatters and clunks but the chassis is so tight it never gets bumped off-line; it's very planted.

Quote: