Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
I was soft in my young age as well

Wanna go for a ride wee fella?

gentle annie loop next weekend?
Would have to be Sunday. Iíll see if Iím allowed out to play
Quote:
Originally Posted by young1 View Post
I hope it was only the riding you were copying from Valentino...

Sounds like an awesome bike Mark, I had an SS750 Ducati for a while but never went far on it. Your SV sounds like a good adventure bike for the roads you are on.

When will we be seeing you in the Naki again?
Those 750ís were awesome bikes. Very nimble on the corners, but perhaps a little underpowered on the straights. Iíd love one as a second (or third) bike in the shed.

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:01 AM   #407
young1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart-nz View Post
Those 750ís were awesome bikes. Very nimble on the corners, but perhaps a little underpowered on the straights. Iíd love one as a second (or third) bike in the shed.
It had Arrow exhausts so sounded the part. And yes underpowered, a SV 650 was quicker. My road riding skills weren't, and still aren't, up to it to ride it properly. I nearly bought a 95 SS 900 Superlight last year, a dream bike for me but money was used on other things :-)
young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:53 AM   #408
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,072
Quote:
It had Arrow exhausts so sounded the part. And yes underpowered, a SV 650 was quicker. My road riding skills weren't, and still aren't, up to it to ride it properly. I nearly bought a 95 SS 900 Superlight last year, a dream bike for me but money was used on other things :-)
Given travel plans, I think you've made the right decision

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #409
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
I hope it was only the riding you were copying from Valentino...
well I did have a 'gay old time'

Quote:
Sounds like an awesome bike Mark, I had an SS750 Ducati for a while but never went far on it. Your SV sounds like a good adventure bike for the roads you are on.

When will we be seeing you in the Naki again?
I quite fancy a burger at the Whanga pub sometime soon and I really think the sv would be perfect on hw 61 (as long as they havenít recently gravelled the middle bit...)

When do you head overseas?

While an SS750 is a moving work of art I can't really imagine it on the Whangaehu Valley Rd. I don't think my body would tolerate the riding position for more than an hour either. Money no object I'd have something like that for a quick run over the Paekakariki Hill Rd on a quiet Sunday morning.

Quote:
An 'L' twin with a set of cans is a wondrous thing. The 900 monster I rode had termi... something carbon cans an was probably the nicest sounding bike I've heard (apart from the yoshi's on the sv of course...)

A couple of weekends ago I was charging hard up the Pahiatua Track and a young guy blew bye me on a VTR1000 going at least 50% faster than I was. I know I'll never have the skill to be proper fast but at least I can feel fast on something like the sv (remember this is all relative to a klr...).
Old 04-06-2014, 12:31 AM   #410
young1
Studly Adventurer

I fly out 3.5.14, KT arrives in a London on 14 April. Hopefully it will be the start of an awesome 3 month trip (and when I return having to find a job...).

There are new owners at Whangamomona pub which is all good. Maybe we should resurrect the WWWWW ride that Scott put together back in 2007.

Always a spot here if you need a roof for the night (and the rum bottle lol).

Bike is not back in country until November so not much riding in NZ until later in the year.

young1 screwed with this post 04-06-2014 at 12:46 AM
Old 04-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #411
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
I fly out 3.5.14, KT arrives in a London on 14 April. Hopefully it will be the start of an awesome 3 month trip (and when I return having to find a job...).

There are new owners at Whangamomona pub which is all good. Maybe we should resurrect the WWWWW ride that Scott put together back in 2007.

Always a spot here if you need a roof for the night (and the rum bottle lol).

Bike is not back in country until November so not much riding in NZ until later in the year.
Having to find a job?
going to look for something different? (are you still managing that legal firm?)
So its actually way more than just an overseas jaunt

It might be nice to do a WWWWW ride to remember Scott - it would be 90% road now and I could take the sv

The last 7 years have flown by in a blur of klr's while you’ve stuck with the same boring 990

I'll see if I can find an excuse to pop up before you do a runner

Mark_S screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 01:33 PM
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #412
young1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Having to find a job?
going to look for something different? (are you still managing that legal firm?)
So its actually way more than just an overseas jaunt

It might be nice to do a WWWWW ride to remember Scott - it would be 90% road now and I could take the sv

The last 7 years have flown by in a blur of klr's while youíve stuck with the same boring 990

I'll see if I can find an excuse to pop up before you do a runner
Yes I couldn't get the leave to match what Leanne got (8 weeks) so resigned and are going to travel for 2 weeks first and pick her up in Lisbon and then when she flies out of Rome I have another 4 weeks to get back to London.

The 990 is not boring, it still certainly excites me!

Maybe a WWWWW ride early next year?
Old 05-14-2014, 01:28 AM   #413
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

on Saturday I spent a reasonable chunk of time thrashing a tdm900 through some of my favourite back roads between Hunterville and Apiti.

I had thought I wanted a bike like a tdm
Its like a klr with more betterer everything (except off-road ability)

It was a hoot to ride

Then I got back on the sv and it is just so utterly different
its loud, it vibrates, it doesnít want to go under about 4k and low speed fuelling is a bit lumpy. It was cold (I should have worn my jacket liner) so I was cold, It has poor fuel range etc etc etc

but oh my golly gosh - giving it the berries coming out of a corner in 2nd or 3rd - it just launches. I'll never be fast but that thing certainly makes me feel fast.

the klr is an appliance
the sv is an EVENT
Old 05-14-2014, 01:54 AM   #414
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 902
Sounds like a good pairing.

Ive always thought the "one do all bike" is an impossible dream and that two bikes makes a lot more sense, best of both worlds covered.
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #415
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Hopo View Post
Ive always thought the "one do all bike" is an impossible dream and that two bikes makes a lot more sense, best of both worlds covered.
I like the idea of one bike to do it all but I think in reality you are right.

particularly given that the 'one' bike often ends up costing more than 2 or 3 more focussed bikes

I also wonder if the broader the bikes range of skills the less likelihood there is of the bike having character or 'eliciting an emotional response from the rider'

For example I could get a hard on for a griso but not a stelvio even though its probably way more practical
Old 05-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #416
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Quote:

I also wonder if the broader the bikes range of skills the less likelihood there is of the bike having character or 'eliciting an emotional response from the rider'
That pretty well sums up my DR650. It does everything I want really well, but what a bland piece of shit. The good thing is I donít give a crap if I drop it.

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #417
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,387
Quote:
Shit, no! The 640 Adventure has an extremely broad capability - from iron butt to enduro-cross - and it's also incredibly engaging to ride.
The Stable

warewolf screwed with this post 08-20-2014 at 03:28 AM
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #418
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
Shit, no! The 640 Adventure has an extremely broad capability - from iron butt to enduro-cross - and it's also incredibly engaging to ride.
and that bloke has still got that one 4sale on TM for only $10K reserve
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:55 AM   #419
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,387
Quote:
I like the idea of one bike to do it all but I think in reality you are right.

particularly given that the 'one' bike often ends up costing more than 2 or 3 more focussed bikes
I don't think there is a universal answer to the question. Sometimes it's yes, sometimes no.

A comfortable, high-speed two-up mile-muncher is simply never going to heavily overlap a technical off-road bike... ain't gonna happen. Also, although you can race a street bike, a dedicated race bike is a lot less work, and can be a lot less cost.

Then again, pooling all the funds in to one bike means you can have a better, newer bike, and replace it more often. I'm seeing this in the off-road world, with fellahs selling two older disparate bikes and living with just one newer one to do it all.
The Stable
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #420
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
"Incredibly engaging"
Vibrates like a paint mixer?