Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #106
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
I love riding the TT in the hills, low speed, technical stuff and start thinking I'm a little over the DR and longer rides.

Until I ride the DR on a longer ride
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #107
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
if you get to ride a 700 let me know what you think
I'm glad I'm not the only one with these difficult problems

Was in Casbolts yeasterday talking NC700..They only have a road version.. no more
X models till the next shipment.. He started it up... inline twin... I was looking around
to see who rode up on a Ducati... Sound just like a Vee as it has the same crank
configeration..just Honda have put both cylinders side by side layed them forward to save space...
basicly the front half of a VFR motor..
And theres also a full 6 speed auto version...DCT Duel Clutch Transmission..
still got to ride one.. But a interesting bike..
Old 03-27-2013, 12:47 AM   #108
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 916
I could be keenish on a gentle (ha ) ride to Anatori via Aorere, depending on dates/days. I went through Aorere the other week and it's in good condition
While your in the neighbourhood M. you could check out this >> https://touch.trademe.co.nz/#listing/view/574579190
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:49 AM   #109
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,567
So are we going around in circles guys?
Is it like one of those movies where the guy loves his wife & family but kinda wants more- not so much more but different?

At work one day he sees the hot single adventurous young new secretary, He chats her up & eventually due to a series of highly implausible circumstances gets alone with her on an out of town work commitment & she's a bit tipsy & ready for anything.

At that moment however he receives a call from his wife telling him his son just got picked for the regional soccer team & he has pangs of guilt, returns back to his wife & family & normal life but knows that had he wanted to, he could have had something life changing & is content that although nothing has changed dramatically in his life, he had the opportunity to change things.

Or not.

I too have been thinking what's on the other side & videos like this don't help

Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:58 AM   #110
NordieBoy
Armature speller

That's pure Schmidty stuff in that vid. Sod the Triumphs. Too hard to get bits for
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:01 AM   #111
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,149
Did you notice whenever they wanted the bikes to do cool things, they used the 2 with USD Ohlins forks?

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:10 AM   #112
Padmei
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Did you notice whenever they wanted the bikes to do cool things, they used the 2 with USD Ohlins forks?
Do you think I would know what Ohlin USD forks look like? I was suspicious when they were jumping & crap - pretty good riding. The germanic accents at the end were a bit queer tho.

Just ignore me i'm tired & grumpy tonite - had to switch off from airheads when they were posting how you had to clean your off road bike....

I was looking for something chain driven Nordie, but triumphs are sooo over priced here compared to other bikes i reckon.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #113
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:

I guess none of us are ever satisfied with what we've got .........

Had a look at Padder's post and yes like you Steve .... mused those are not stock 'Scramblers' - with the Ohlins and all - began briefly to dreaming (again :) ) of adding a Scrambler to my stable - before the reality of the standing costs hit me again

I confess I spend quiet a lot of distracted brain cycles thinking that my current R1200GS is the perfect ride for my needs and life stage

Awaits pipe and slippers comments :)
Oaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #114
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I love riding the TT in the hills, low speed, technical stuff and start thinking I'm a little over the DR and longer rides.

Until I ride the DR on a longer ride
I'm exactly the same - generally the last bike I rode is my favorite - until I ride a different one.

Its a good way to be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-NZ View Post
Was in Casbolts yeasterday talking NC700..They only have a road version.. no more
X models till the next shipment.. He started it up... inline twin... I was looking around
to see who rode up on a Ducati... Sound just like a Vee as it has the same crank
configeration..just Honda have put both cylinders side by side layed them forward to save space...
basicly the front half of a VFR motor..
And theres also a full 6 speed auto version...DCT Duel Clutch Transmission..
still got to ride one.. But a interesting bike..
Yep - good to think outside the square a bit - I'd be keen to ride one as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj View Post
I could be keenish on a gentle (ha ) ride to Anatori via Aorere, depending on dates/days. I went through Aorere the other week and it's in good condition
While your in the neighbourhood M. you could check out this >> https://touch.trademe.co.nz/#listing/view/574579190
Kewl - will firm up dates once I have obtained permission from SWMBO

Yep got to ride a TDM - there is one on tardme up in Tauranga that may go quite a bit cheaper than the two that have been sitting on tardme for a while.

A tdm would have to be pretty special to make it more appealing than a Tiger - I was quite taken with the 955 motor. They seem to go for similar money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
So are we going around in circles guys?
Is it like one of those movies where the guy loves his wife & family but kinda wants more- not so much more but different?

At work one day he sees the hot single adventurous young new secretary, He chats her up & eventually due to a series of highly implausible circumstances gets alone with her on an out of town work commitment & she's a bit tipsy & ready for anything.

At that moment however he receives a call from his wife telling him his son just got picked for the regional soccer team & he has pangs of guilt, returns back to his wife & family & normal life but knows that had he wanted to, he could have had something life changing & is content that although nothing has changed dramatically in his life, he had the opportunity to change things.

Or not.

I too have been thinking what's on the other side & videos like this don't help
Yep - going around in ever decreasing circles

I don't normally like touchy feely unrealistic videos but that wasn't too bad . Interesting the way they always use open face helmets in these sorts of videos - presumably to evoke the feeling of yesteryear when men where men and faces were made of steel...

Quote:
That's pure Schmidty stuff in that vid. Sod the Triumphs. Too hard to get bits for
you happen to live within 50km of one of the biggest sources of triumph parts in the southern hemisphere. Where is the airhead equivalent????

Quote:
Yes the Ohlins aren't quite what you'd call authentic period pieces are they....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Do you think I would know what Ohlin USD forks look like? I was suspicious when they were jumping & crap - pretty good riding. The germanic accents at the end were a bit queer tho.

Just ignore me i'm tired & grumpy tonite - had to switch off from airheads when they were posting how you had to clean your off road bike....

I was looking for something chain driven Nordie, but triumphs are sooo over priced here compared to other bikes i reckon.
Interesting comment re Triumphs being over priced.

From what I've seen 02-06 Tigers with about 30k seem to go for $8-10K. A R1200GS of the same vintage would go for $12-14K and a 950 adventure maybe a little less. (you may have noticed that a Tiger is this weeks favorite - don't know what next weeks favorite will be....maybe a klr?)

Still got to ride a tdm and a 700 transalp.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #115
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
you happen to live within 50km of one of the biggest sources of triumph parts in the southern hemisphere.
Really?

Quote:
Where is the airhead equivalent????
Padmei's place...
Old 03-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #116
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Really?

Padmei's place...
British Spares - upper moutere (Tim who had the scrambler owns it)

Speaking of scramblers this video seems a bit more genuine (in a 'echos of Steve Mcqueen' kind of way)

Old 03-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #117
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 945
Christ!!! starting to go off scramblers now as they seem to be the Harley Davidson of trail bikes.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #118
Old Kiwi#99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Advance the exhaust cam 1 tooth. Improvement way out of proportion to the effort expended. (and the cost cannot be beat)

What do you find lacking in the brakes? Are you trying to do stoppies or summat?
Old Kiwi#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #119
Padmei
enamoured

Quote:
aaaah just got what you mean (if you are meaning the Aladdins cave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Kiwi#99 View Post
Advance the exhaust cam 1 tooth. Improvement way out of proportion to the effort expended. (and the cost cannot be beat)

What do you find lacking in the brakes? Are you trying to do stoppies or summat?
Um... which bike are we talking about?
Old 03-28-2013, 01:22 AM   #120
Padmei
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
Christ!!! starting to go off scramblers now as they seem to be the Harley Davidson of trail bikes.
Waddayamean?