ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
Lurkerlou OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
KTM 950/990/1190trip packing

The thought behind this thread is to show what I packed for a semi extended adventure and more for you to show how you pack for your adventure. I know out of the four of us we all packed differently and I've loved seeing what others here on ADV pack in the past.

Basics - I set out with 2 other riders and joined with another rider 2 days into our trip. Majority of our trip was off-road in one shape or another. Our trip ended up only being 4 days , 2000 km's and 1700 of which were off-road but given what I had brought along give or take a laundry stop , food stop I could survive extended times with the same stuff.

So here's a picture of the bike loaded with a GL tank bag , crash bar bags with tubes, 1.75 us gal roto-pax , altrider hemisphere bag and a KTM dry bag of clothes.

So as I unloaded the bike I kind of categorized what I brought.

Bag of clothes

4 t shirts , 4 underwear , hoody , 4 pairs of riding socks , shaving bag w/toothbrush etc
Basically can go 4+ days without worrying about laundry.

Altrider Hemisphere Bag

First load out of bag

Travel cup , first aid kit , coffee , jet boil stove and utensils

Camping Stuff
Inflatable pillow , sleeping bag , sleeping pad , Hennessy Hammock , camp towel , headlamp , freeze dried meals ,coffee , rubber gloves and msr dromedary water bladder. Also extra oil in one side and plexus in the opposite access pocket of the bag.

Tools
Bag

Unpacked

Tire change stuff , compressor , spoons , bead breaker , rim shields , bead buddy , rim paste
KTM 1/4 drive set .... Worth the space IMO cause it has everything.

MP titanium wrenches

Swivel Allen keys and Torx sets

Spare bolts

Crash bar bags with tubes front and rear

Tank bag

Spare gloves , sunglasses , spot locator , gps case , chargers and power outlets , Swiss Army knife and off bug spay.

Sure there's stuff I wished I didn't bring but who doesn't. I pack pretty tool heavy but the areas we rode were remote enough to warrant it.

Lurkerlou screwed with this post 08-06-2014 at 09:24 PM
Lurkerlou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #2
SonoraDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
That's a nice setup. Those are some of the cleanest and most pristine tools I have ever seen in a bike tool kit. Especially a KTM kit. Just kidding. I really like the Hemisphere bag. I have hard bags on my 1190 R and can't stand how wide they are. I wonder how the hemisphere bag would work on the 1190 R without the KTM rack installed. It sure would save a bunch of weight and make things safer while off road.

Semper Fi
IBA 42163
SonoraDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:20 AM   #3
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,090
Have you skipped the OEM tool kit completely?

Pretty much all the tools you show are covered by the stock tool kit (apart from tire stuff).

I find that the stuff that came with the bike will actually get you very far when it comes to taking bike apart.

Have added a spark plug wrech since there was none in 990R kit.

Will add a small adjustable wrench (will probably most be to help others) and some wise grips and think ill stick with that.

That toolkit fits under the seat ...CPR doghouse is also big enough to house the OEM toolkit leaving room for an underseat tank.

Have skipped the luggage rack also and going with similar style luggage set up on the new bike so thanks for sharing.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:00 AM   #4
FuTAnT
KTM 990ADV

Oddometer: 336
Nice write up but that is definitely on the kitchen sink end of packing. I normally strip out all the unnecessary tools in any kits. Or just take that which you need. If you are riding in a group, no need for a beak breaker.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:33 AM   #5
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,090
Some actually bring the sink!

IMG_6197 kitchen sink by -DirtyADV-

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:18 AM   #6
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
My favorite way to travel is as light and cheap as possible. This is a Pelican 1500 mounted to the back of my bike and a cheap, somewhat water "resistant" duffle:

If I have to pack a lot more, I have Pelican cases that I can mount on the side:

I like your Giant Loop solution even better. That keeps weight right up against the bike and is much less likely to result in subframe problems. As for tools, I pack only those tools that are necessary to disassemble major parts of the bike. The trick is to just carry what is necessary and absolutely nothing more. On a big bike, added weight just saps the "fun" out of off-road riding. I recently went from a six pound tent to a two pound Big Agnes tent. Every ounce counts.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,449
Less and more. Here's the kit for a recent trip... packed ready to jump on the plane to Asia.

The GL went in the hold. I carried the orange pack on as hand luggage.. and my tank bag as the additional "computer bag" (yeah... it had a computer and DSLR in it)... and I wore the boots, armour ... and carried on the helmet too. Changed as soon as I got on the plane... into normal clothes.

There's bucket loads of spares in there... chain, sprockets, disks, pads, bearings, etc. Most went on the bike before setting out... but I still carry a couple of kilos of bits

That lot packed down smaller on the road, after fitting the spares. This particular trip is on the 525, but I use the same bags on the Super Enduro. Tank bag is electronics - computer, cameras, phone. There's a small bar bag with in-demand essentials... water purifier, torch, some medical, space blanket, most needed tools. GL has oil, tools, spares, clothes and sleeping bag. Small bag at the rear has half my tubes, more oil and water. That's a two month, remote area trip - Cambodia, Thailand and just into Burma.

The only camping gear is a light sleeping bag, a bivvy bag and a groundsheet. No sleeping mat even... but normally, I can score a bed or some floor space. Had to sleep in the jungle, under a tree the night that photo was taken though

Here's the electronics I carry - plus a phone.

I carry a lot less tools. Standard kit plus just a couple of items.... eg leatherman and three tyre levers, chain breaker, a feeler guage or two - individual leaves, not the lot. Lightweight multimeter.

A compressor is too heavy (I used to carry one... now its a cheapy push bike pump).

A couple of bolts, some high temp epoxy. The spares list is more extensive... mainly wheel bearings (I've gone through a set of rears in 250km and brake pads in 700 km in extreme conditions)... and regular consumables.

I carry four tubes. 3 front, 1 rear.

Here's the 950 with the lot on... including tent.

Ride through Oz and Asia
The Bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
I don't have a spread out pic of the contents but here is packed for a 4 day ride. That includes:
  • tent
  • sleeping bag
  • cot
  • mattress
  • full-sized pillow (some things you can't compromise on)
  • 1 set of casual clothes including shoes
  • spare socks/underwear
  • cold weather gear (base layer and heavy sweater)
  • MSR stove/fuel/water filter
  • 3 days of rations (Mountain House stuff)
  • full tool set including spare 21" tube and pump
  • 2 gals fuel
  • camera (Sony NEX7 w/16mm)
  • sat phone (G*)
  • iPhone
  • charge cables etc

Still light enough to drift corners effortlessly

The top tail bag is left empty so I have somewhere to stuff my jacket

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
PS-RagE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #9
Lurkerlou OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post
Have you skipped the OEM tool kit completely?

Pretty much all the tools you show are covered by the stock tool kit (apart from tire stuff).

I find that the stuff that came with the bike will actually get you very far when it comes to taking bike apart.

Have added a spark plug wrech since there was none in 990R kit.

Will add a small adjustable wrench (will probably most be to help others) and some wise grips and think ill stick with that.

That toolkit fits under the seat ...CPR doghouse is also big enough to house the OEM toolkit leaving room for an underseat tank.

Have skipped the luggage rack also and going with similar style luggage set up on the new bike so thanks for sharing.

/Johan

I forgot I do have most of the stock kit in a CJ's leather bag with a spark plug wrench , zip ties etc . I know so much of that kit becomes redundant when I drag the little 1/4" set along but I've used that set on all my KTM's and it's a great set.

If I'm day tripping the small stock kit goes under the seat and that's all.

I hope this thread keeps up , so much to be learned from other peoples ideas.
Lurkerlou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

A couple of things I forgot.

A bloody great big knife... or machete, or folding saw. We've needed it a few times with trees / bamboo across the track.

I mentioned water. I also carry two water purification kits... a Micropur filter (still unused) and a Steripen. The latter goes in the headlight/bars bag. I've been caught out before.... ran out of water, dehydrated to hell and back and ended up drinking what looked like good water. Subsequent "events" proved it was otherwise. I had both water purification bits of gear with me at the time, but they were packed in the bottom of my bag and I was to exhausted to bother unpacking to get to them.

That last issue has been a big learning experience. I pack more for priority access now. My pump is a zipper away from me at all times.... there's no excuse for not changing tyre pressures when they should be changed. Oh yeah... I carry a guage too (most guys I know who ride in Asia just go by feel... squeezing the tyre). I used to carry a fancy battery powered guage. It drove me nuts - always getting bumped on... unobtanium batteries, etc. Now its just a plastic pencil guage.

Definitely carry some duct tape. More important than most of the tools. For example, I've had a spoke poke its way through the rubber rim tube... fixed with tape. I've had a boot fail... the whole sole came off.... taped it up. Etc.

The medical kit is important. Very, very important. I know guys who've had some incredibly painful, difficult trips out of remote areas (one guy with a smashed lower leg - his Doc stopped counting at something over 30 breaks - and he had a two hour ride out on the back of a guy's bike - screaming his head off.... another guy, clavicle in five pieces, five broken ribs, punctured lung.... and a 120 km trip to the nearest primitive hospital... two days to a civilised one).

So... I now carry enough stuff to get me hung in some countries... but I also carry the medical letter to go with it. Endone, Targin... etc. I think you call it Oxycodone in the US. Don't forget some Panadol - I did and had a molar do the big hurt thing on me in the middle of bumphuknowhere. I now carry some Panadol too. A must is some Betadine - I carry a small vial - used it once for a suspected rabies bite on a woman.

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 08-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #11
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
You were bit by a rabid woman?

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
PS-RagE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #12
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
Less and more. Here's the kit for a recent trip... packed ready to jump on the plane to Asia.

The GL went in the hold. I carried the orange pack on as hand luggage.. and my tank bag as the additional "computer bag" (yeah... it had a computer and DSLR in it)... and I wore the boots, armour ... and carried on the helmet too. Changed as soon as I got on the plane... into normal clothes.

There's bucket loads of spares in there... chain, sprockets, disks, pads, bearings, etc. Most went on the bike before setting out... but I still carry a couple of kilos of bits

That lot packed down smaller on the road, after fitting the spares. This particular trip is on the 525, but I use the same bags on the Super Enduro. Tank bag is electronics - computer, cameras, phone. There's a small bar bag with in-demand essentials... water purifier, torch, some medical, space blanket, most needed tools. GL has oil, tools, spares, clothes and sleeping bag. Small bag at the rear has half my tubes, more oil and water. That's a two month, remote area trip - Cambodia, Thailand and just into Burma.

The only camping gear is a light sleeping bag, a bivvy bag and a groundsheet. No sleeping mat even... but normally, I can score a bed or some floor space. Had to sleep in the jungle, under a tree the night that photo was taken though

Here's the electronics I carry - plus a phone.

I carry a lot less tools. Standard kit plus just a couple of items.... eg leatherman and three tyre levers, chain breaker, a feeler guage or two - individual leaves, not the lot. Lightweight multimeter.

A compressor is too heavy (I used to carry one... now its a cheapy push bike pump).

A couple of bolts, some high temp epoxy. The spares list is more extensive... mainly wheel bearings (I've gone through a set of rears in 250km and brake pads in 700 km in extreme conditions)... and regular consumables.

I carry four tubes. 3 front, 1 rear.

Here's the 950 with the lot on... including tent.

I see you have an oil cooler on the 525 is that the HT model? how do you like it how much extra oil does it add?
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #13
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS-RagE View Post
You were bit by a rabid woman?

Wouldn't have minded being bitten by her.... In Flores (Indonesia) - she got bitten on the toes by a cat. Pretty scary thing over there. She ended up having to have a series of injections into the joints of her toes - said it was more painful than childbirth. I've had the anti-rabies injections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson View Post
I see you have an oil cooler on the 525 is that the HT model? how do you like it how much extra oil does it add?
Yeah, the HT. It adds 600cc - takes capacity from 1.2 to 1.8 litres. Definitely worth it. Also have larger water pump, fan on radiator, larger tank, 12.5:1 570 kit, Hotcams cam.... and a few more bits.

I keep thinking about that 570 kit and my Super Enduro. Hmmmm.....

edit.... nah, that won't work... Super Enduro is 100mm x 60mm. 570 piston is 99mm. Stock 525 is 95mm x 72mm.... Oh well.

Ride through Oz and Asia