User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
stickit OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Engine 640 lc4 rebuild .

What would it cost to rebuild a 640 lc4 engine as well as the carbie is shot . Complete engine and carb dusted from desert run , dust came in from the breather running of the carb it fell off and sucked half the sand in the Simpson Desert . I got a ruff idear from a bike shop and still have not got up of the ground . What do you people think it was ??
stickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickit View Post
What would it cost to rebuild a 640 lc4 engine as well as the carbie is shot . Complete engine and carb dusted from desert run , dust came in from the breather running of the carb it fell off and sucked half the sand in the Simpson Desert . I got a ruff idear from a bike shop and still have not got up of the ground . What do you people think it was ??
I assume you are in Australia, and are you doing the work yourself or getting a shop to do it?

I'll have to go back and check, but I think my top end rebuild and clutch bearing replacement cost me 5 or $600.

That was a new Wossner piston, new seals and gaskets, top end bearings and water pump rebuild.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:00 AM   #3
stickit OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
I assume you are in Australia, and are you doing the work yourself or getting a shop to do it?

I'll have to go back and check, but I think my top end rebuild and clutch bearing replacement cost me 5 or $600.

That was a new Wossner piston, new seals and gaskets, top end bearings and water pump rebuild.
Yes OZ ! I can do a lot of things but engines and major mechanic,s not me . So all done from a shop and as I said the motor is total . I will say that the person I have entrusted in this op has built ktm,s for the Dakars 's . I just thought it would not be that much . Keep guessing people .
Old 03-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Yes OZ ! I can do a lot of things but engines and major mechanic,s not me . So all done from a shop and as I said the motor is total . I will say that the person I have entrusted in this op has built ktm,s for the Dakars 's . I just thought it would not be that much . Keep guessing people .
If your having someone do the work for you instead of doing it your self then a $2000 cost is not out of the picture... I know parts prices are very much higher in your country, what does shop labor cost {over here it is $90-$100 PH}?
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #5
stickit OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
If your having someone do the work for you instead of doing it your self then a $2000 cost is not out of the picture... I know parts prices are very much higher in your country, what does shop labor cost {over here it is $90-$100 PH}?
To do what I said $5000 is in the ball park .. I have been looking for second hand parts but no joy . When would you say it will cost more than the bike is worth ?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:10 AM   #6
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,062

Wow....

What year 640 is it and where abouts in Aus are you and what do you need?

$5000 is a shit load of money...

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:41 AM   #7
CSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
$5000! wow! can't you buy a decent running bike in that condition? What about ordering an engine from somewhere?
CSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 643
more details...

What year and model bike?

Where are you?
Suzuki SV1000 - My road monster
KTM 640 LC4E - Adventure bike (project)
Young-Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
To do what I said $5000 is in the ball park .. I have been looking for second hand parts but no joy . When would you say it will cost more than the bike is worth ?
What did you ask for to get this high of quote it must be more than just work in the top end?
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #10
stickit OP
Adventurer

Live in Kempsey NSW . Motor totally dusted ! Were do you find parts ? The bike cost me $4600 + transport and re- rego . What would you do apart from feel like ; to the person who sold it to me ?
Old 03-07-2013, 03:31 AM   #11
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Live in Kempsey NSW . Motor totally dusted ! Were do you find parts ? The bike cost me $4600 + transport and re- rego . What would you do apart from feel like ; to the person who sold it to me ?
I say again, what year and model? I'm wrecking a couple of bikes so might be able to help out
Suzuki SV1000 - My road monster
KTM 640 LC4E - Adventure bike (project)
Young-Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:47 AM   #12
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Quote:
You need to look harder and be more patient perhaps. Running 640 engines in uk run at around 500 quid plus freight back to the land of fine red talcum powder!
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #13
stickit OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young-gun-640 View Post
I say again, what year and model? I'm wrecking a couple of bikes so might be able to help out
1999 model 640 adventurer LC4
Old 03-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #14
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 715
The labour from a pro working at a stealer is going to cost you a fortune.

Find a local pro who does jobs on the side (who knows KTM's). Cash job labour only I would have thought you would get away for under a grand (I know I did. My guy is fantastic, but he's in Melbourne). Get the mechanic to give you a list of parts required.

THEN....

Buy the parts yourself. Investigate companies in the USA who will re-ship stuff from the USA to AUS (like www.shipito.com), as most KTM shops won't sell direct to Aussies. Then order the stuff from the USA (munnracing.com etc), or you will spend the rest of life with a sore arse from being shafted by KTM Australia.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:07 AM   #15
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,793
Was looking to ship an engine for a good friend who lives in Australia, it costs 500Euros το ship an Engine there and another 500 to get an engine if you find one here (There is a good one for 350-400 Euros but I had already bought mine).

It depends what you want to do really... Main gearshaft bearing was eaten in mine and I went for a new engine which I will rebuilt at the near future. Parts from KTM are not always the best solution. Conrod and piston I would look for aftermarket ones.

If I can be of any help here let me know, the situation here is so bad everything sells out at very cheap prices...

You can get an idea here (parts and prices for used parts)
http://www.car.gr/parts/?offertype=&...on=&condition=

D.