ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #16
stickit OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 36
I have to talk to my mechanic , which by the way spent 10 so years building and racing KTM for the dakar in Europe . I found the best but ; yeah !!!!! The price is killing me .. He said they will be genuine ktm parts , is this the killer ??
stickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:08 AM   #17
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Frankston, Australia
Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickit View Post
I have to talk to my mechanic , which by the way spent 10 so years building and racing KTM for the dakar in Europe . I found the best but ; yeah !!!!! The price is killing me .. He said they will be genuine ktm parts , is this the killer ??
If you are buying the parts from KTM Australia it will be.

Do yourself a favour and use munnracing.com (USA) (they have an online michrofice or type in the part numbers from your parts books) and http://www.boltonmotorcycles.com/ (AUS) to compare prices.

As 640 Armageddon said, use after market where they are cheaper and have a good reputation. I am happy with the Wossner (SP??) piston and rings I put in mine.
__________________
David

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #18
stickit OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrobertson View Post
If you are buying the parts from KTM Australia it will be.

Do yourself a favour and use munnracing.com (USA) (they have an online michrofice or type in the part numbers from your parts books) and http://www.boltonmotorcycles.com/ (AUS) to compare prices.

As 640 Armageddon said, use after market where they are cheaper and have a good reputation. I am happy with the Wossner (SP??) piston and rings I put in mine.
I'll ask why genuine ?
stickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:42 AM   #19
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Frankston, Australia
Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickit View Post
I'll ask why genuine ?
Don't understand.

Some parts you will only get as a genuine part. Where you can run non genuine (bearings etc) then use them.
__________________
David

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:09 AM   #20
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness
 
Lc8grrr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Not quite Tamworth, Aus
Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickit View Post
I have to talk to my mechanic , which by the way spent 10 so years building and racing KTM for the dakar in Europe . I found the best but ; yeah !!!!! The price is killing me .. He said they will be genuine ktm parts , is this the killer ??
If you decide to go this way it would be interesting to see a write up. I have been meaning to contact him regards my 660 and engine/bike options but as yet haven't had time to go meet the man. This would be Lee Palmer behind Marc Coma?

Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:28 AM   #21
stickit OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lc8grrr View Post
If you decide to go this way it would be interesting to see a write up. I have been meaning to contact him regards my 660 and engine/bike options but as yet haven't had time to go meet the man. This would be Lee Palmer behind Marc Coma?

You are spot on !!! He says it is not worth the risk as he has found out from the past with non genuine it can come back to bite you in the ass .( leaking gaskets etc ). I may ride like a greenie wanting to save the earths fuel supply compared to him . But at least I will start the ride and end it ! He really does seem a nice bloke . If you go to the shop he has one of the dakar bikes on display which is pretty cool . In the end result I got screwed buying the bike but at least end with new engine .. I'm just going to stop thinking about the money and looking forward to trouble free adventures . Anyone one interested when up and running ??
stickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:20 AM   #22
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness
 
Lc8grrr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Not quite Tamworth, Aus
Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickit View Post
You are spot on !!! He says it is not worth the risk as he has found out from the past with non genuine it can come back to bite you in the ass .( leaking gaskets etc ). I may ride like a greenie wanting to save the earths fuel supply compared to him . But at least I will start the ride and end it ! He really does seem a nice bloke . If you go to the shop he has one of the dakar bikes on display which is pretty cool . In the end result I got screwed buying the bike but at least end with new engine .. I'm just going to stop thinking about the money and looking forward to trouble free adventures . Anyone one interested when up and running ??
Yeh I'm interested. I've been told by the guy I bought the 660 from that he had one of the factory bikes as well as some very interesting details about the 692 and 710 engines... If my memory is correct 6spd gearboxes and Ti conrods What colour scheme is the bike he has.. Repsol, Gauloises, Red Bull???? Bit of an unsung aussie right there!!!
Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:14 AM   #23
stickit OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lc8grrr View Post
Yeh I'm interested. I've been told by the guy I bought the 660 from that he had one of the factory bikes as well as some very interesting details about the 692 and 710 engines... If my memory is correct 6spd gearboxes and Ti conrods What colour scheme is the bike he has.. Repsol, Gauloises, Red Bull???? Bit of an unsung aussie right there!!!
The bike is blue ish in color just has number 44 on it with no sponsors .. I think he said it was a 6 , 690 maybe ! A little over well meld driving and dropping the bike off and the drive . I guess I'm lucky to have found him .. He is going to add bar weights to the handle bars to stop vib's as well . We also have to fig out prob's with speedo . Obviously I could keep in touch and post some pic's ( maybe ) .

stickit screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 12:52 AM
stickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #24
stickit OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 36
Just up dating bike is nearly ready if anyone still interested . Will give details as well as photo's . Been a long time between rides !
stickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #25
bmwktmbill
Traveler
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Traveler
Oddometer: 4,736
Stick,
I'd sure like to see what you come up with.
b
__________________
'02 KTM 640 Adventure-lowered
"On the road there are no special cases."
Cormack McCarthy-The Crossing

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:26 AM   #26
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness
 
Lc8grrr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Not quite Tamworth, Aus
Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Stick,
I'd sure like to see what you come up with.
b
yep +1. Sneek a shot of the Rally too
Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:38 AM   #27
stickit OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 36
Well the time is at hand and the bill is in .. $ 6044.43 . This includes engine rebuild , new carb , handle bar weights to take the vib out , new speedo , the old one was giving the wrong readings , bar raisers , remove and clean fuel tanks . I will take pic's of my bikes and post if wife can do ! ( not my expertise ) i take a pic of his dakar , same applies . Everyone can say you got riped off ! I'm no bike mechanic , so forget about telling me , my other half has already told me enough from when I bought the bike . I hope the barsted that lied to me gets his just desserts .
stickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #28
stickit OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 36
Right ! I have pic's and info . Can't down load pic's from phone . The bill was 6k .
stickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #29
Pete640
I hate sand.......
 
Pete640's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Sanding something in the shed...
Oddometer: 1,518
Email them to a friendly inmate and itll be uploaded.
So seeing as weve all seen an LC4 motor how does it go (obviously there will be a run in time)? With that amount of work on the motor are you running a less restrictive exh system to complement it, FCR?
__________________
Pete
For those who sit at home and dream-let them...Meoni
Pete640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #30
stickit OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Email them to a friendly inmate and itll be uploaded.
So seeing as weve all seen an LC4 motor how does it go (obviously there will be a run in time)? With that amount of work on the motor are you running a less restrictive exh system to complement it, FCR?
I 'll ask and hopefully all good . Rode it home , 300ks south with a few rest stops to let the motor cool down and only ran it at 80- 90 kmh . Have given it 2 short trips to town and believe she should be good to go from now on . It starts and runs really smooth , much better than before which is to be expected . It already came with a stainintune muffler so she sings a loud note ( so cool ) . Big diff when changing down gears no ruff surg smooth reduction . With the bar weights and new rubbers in the steering donk vib's from the handle bars have been reduced by 80% .The vib was so bad you couldn't even see out of the review mirrors . . I did hear if you put handle bar grips that have high dimples on them it will reduce it even more . In the pic's you will see the new breather canister they fitted to replace the one that gave all the trouble . The original one has a small round filter with a sponge gauze over it so they said and the gauze had fallen out , ( suck my dust ) , you would have already now they owning one If you add up what she cost me ; I'll never sell it ! I really do love riding her ! Hopefully pic's to come ! Down the line will be looking for panniers , any ideas boys ?

stickit screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 02:32 AM
stickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014