User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #1
kupplung OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Blown head gasket in Shreveport, La

I blew a head gasket on my R1150RT bombing down I-30 at 100 mph. At least, that's my best guess as to what happened; it's definitely running on just one cylinder. Did you ever accidentally start the bike with the oil filler plug off? It sounds like that, just worse.

I have my tools, and I feel capable of doing the job myself, but I purchased an aftermarket warranty with the bike, and this is a good time to get something out of that.

It would be great if someone could store some things off the bike for me for a couple of days, so I can hitch hike home and get my other motorcycle, without worrying about the safety of the gear on this one.
kupplung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupplung View Post
I blew a head gasket on my R1150RT bombing down I-30 at 100 mph. At least, that's my best guess as to what happened; it's definitely running on just one cylinder. Did you ever accidentally start the bike with the oil filler plug off? It sounds like that, just worse.

I have my tools, and I feel capable of doing the job myself, but I purchased an aftermarket warranty with the bike, and this is a good time to get something out of that.

It would be great if someone could store some things off the bike for me for a couple of days, so I can hitch hike home and get my other motorcycle, without worrying about the safety of the gear on this one.
What about contacting Shreveport Motor sports to hold gear for you. They are the BMW motorcycle dealer in Shreveport. However, I don't think they are open on Monday.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
I'd be willing to let you store whatever you need to at my house but I'm in Jackson, MS. If you can get your stuff to me then it has a place to stay and I'd be willing to meet you in Monroe, Louisiana if that helps. The only thing is I'd be on my bike b/c I sold my car. You may want to post this in the gulf states regional forum and see if you get more replies. PM me if I can be of any help, I'll do whatever I can.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 AM   #4
kupplung OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks y'all! The breakdown was actually up in Arkansas on I10, about 100 miles from Shreveport Motorsport, so I had it towed there. I took a Greyhound back to Austin to pick up my other bike, and now I'm back on two wheels and in Shreveport to get the ball rolling on the repairs to the R when the shop opens in a few hours. Looks like the bike was unmolested while I was gone.

I think I will go tour the Florida coast counter-clockwise while I wait for the repairs. Anyone wanna go with? Heading for NOLA after I get some shuteye today.

EDIT: Sorry for posting this on the wrong forum! Thanks for the heads up, babarnette.
kupplung is offline   Reply With Quote