ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #1
cardoctor1 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
cardoctor1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: horsham pa
Oddometer: 517
clutch spline lube

just want to say thankyou to all the inmates. that took the time to document splitting their bike to service the splines. bought a r1150 gs last yr with 65k .i had two questions for the owner has the final drive bearing ever replaced and have the spline been greased. the owner was honest and said the first owner told him the spline were done at 35k but didnt have any paper work to prove it. so take it for what its worth. at the end of the season i was getting a light smell of gear oil and knew the trans input seal must be seeping. figured this would be a great winter weekend project. to my surprise it wasnt that bad. still can believe the bike pivots in half but just in magin if it didnt. 5 hrs later its all good.and the splines were greased and perfect.
__________________
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
mudmullet
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mudmullet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 195
I agree.

The job really isn't all that difficult. It looks horrid, but it's actually pretty straightforward. This site really is helpful, too!
mudmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
def
Beastly Adventurer
 
def's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: The woods and mountains of Alabama
Oddometer: 8,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoctor1 View Post
just want to say thankyou to all the inmates. that took the time to document splitting their bike to service the splines. bought a r1150 gs last yr with 65k .i had two questions for the owner has the final drive bearing ever replaced and have the spline been greased. the owner was honest and said the first owner told him the spline were done at 35k but didnt have any paper work to prove it. so take it for what its worth. at the end of the season i was getting a light smell of gear oil and knew the trans input seal must be seeping. figured this would be a great winter weekend project. to my surprise it wasnt that bad. still can believe the bike pivots in half but just in magin if it didnt. 5 hrs later its all good.and the splines were greased and perfect.
Gosh...it sounds like you enjoyed splitting your bike in two. If you'd like, you can come down here and do mine and I'll supply endless Yuengling. Do you prefer lager or black and tan?



def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
cardoctor1 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
cardoctor1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: horsham pa
Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Gosh...it sounds like you enjoyed splitting your bike in two. If you'd like, you can come down here and do mine and I'll supply endless Yuengling. Do you prefer lager or black and tan?



apple martini's are my poison. if im ever bored and have a few day ill pm ya.
__________________
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #5
billdonna
Ex Coelis
 
billdonna's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Niagara, Canada
Oddometer: 929
If a clutch spline lube is all you want, not a replacement clutch or main seal, a split is not rquired.

Found this method from 2007 by our own GS Addict and will be trying it soon

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r...be-1-hour.html
__________________
I do not intend to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death
billdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
ratze
RIDE ON,,,,
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: east TENNESSEE
Oddometer: 6
spline lube procedure

Hi all, iam new to the site. where can i go to find info on lube procedure, and what kind of lube is best to use.
ratze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
cardoctor1 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
cardoctor1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: horsham pa
Oddometer: 517
i used honda moly 60. not sure what kind of bike you own but i cant see how putting a grease needle between the splines will work . maybe if you suspend the bike from the rear tire gravity will do its thing
__________________
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,689
It really isn't all that hard to do it right.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314290

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
def
Beastly Adventurer
 
def's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: The woods and mountains of Alabama
Oddometer: 8,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdonna View Post
If a clutch spline lube is all you want, not a replacement clutch or main seal, a split is not rquired.

Found this method from 2007 by our own GS Addict and will be trying it soon

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r...be-1-hour.html
The only drawback to not splitting the bike in two is;

1- No cleaning can be accomplished.
2- The splines are not inspected.
3- Other clutch parts are not inspected up close and personal.
4- We don't get to see the photos of the clutch innards so often posted by the owner (I like photos even when there is no wear and nothing extraordinary to report).
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
guitarin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdonna View Post
If a clutch spline lube is all you want, not a replacement clutch or main seal, a split is not rquired.

Found this method from 2007 by our own GS Addict and will be trying it soon

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r...be-1-hour.html

I made one of these and it works great. The most surprising thing was bending the needle 90 degrees. For my first try I bent it cold in a vise between 2 paint sticks. There was no need for a second try. I would suggest using a larger syringe (greater piston diameter) as pumping the Honda Moly 80 takes a good bit of pressure.
guitarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
The only drawback to not splitting the bike in two is;

1- No cleaning can be accomplished.
2- The splines are not inspected.
3- Other clutch parts are not inspected up close and personal.
4- We don't get to see the photos of the clutch innards so often posted by the owner (I like photos even when there is no wear and nothing extraordinary to report).
5. Too much lube and you contaminate your clutch.
6. Miss the spline and squirt grease all over your clutch disc.
7. Miss actually lubing the splines and just grease the outer edge.

The splines are a pretty tight fit. It is difficult to know if you actually did any good. As a better than nothing strategy, if you are very careful, it is OK. I would rather split the bike IF you think you have an issue. Most bikes never really need it done, but you do not know until you open it up.

Just my opinion, and in no way a slight to GSAddict's ideas or skills!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #12
billdonna
Ex Coelis
 
billdonna's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Niagara, Canada
Oddometer: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
The only drawback to not splitting the bike in two is;

1- No cleaning can be accomplished.
2- The splines are not inspected.
3- Other clutch parts are not inspected up close and personal.
4- We don't get to see the photos of the clutch innards so often posted by the owner (I like photos even when there is no wear and nothing extraordinary to report).
I hear you def, but...... I've got a R1100RS up on the stand in my shop broken in half right now for a new clutch install. Not a hard job really, just a pain in the ass! The friction disc spline is worn out and DRY AS A POPCORN FART!

I am saying that for preventative maintenance (say every 40.000kms) a tiny squirt of moly into the splines, will keep them happy and push back the eventual date of rebuild.

So you're into metal porn? Want the pics??
__________________
I do not intend to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death
billdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #13
billdonna
Ex Coelis
 
billdonna's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Niagara, Canada
Oddometer: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
It really isn't all that hard to do it right.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314290

Jim

Start at 10am and tranny out by 3pm isn't hard? And at least the same to reassemble? For a lube?

You mention there was a lot of cussing, this coming from a guy who has a lot of wrenching skills. Imagine how tough the job is for the poor sucker who has average skills.

Me thinks I'll try the 10 minute lube needle lube to save a days' work for a simple lube job, but each to his own.
__________________
I do not intend to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death
billdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #14
Unca Fud
nrpetersen
 
Unca Fud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Minnetonka MN
Oddometer: 236
You should be able to get about a .030 inch dia bent needle in between the shaft OD and the hub major dia, and between the shaft monor dia and hub inside diameter. If necessary thin the moly 60 with a tiny bit of lacquer thinner. You should get both the minor dia and the major dia with a very tiny squirt.

If your splines are not worn and in good shape, the advantage of using a needle lube over a full dis-assembly is that engine-transmission alignment won't get screwed up on reassembly. I DON"T think that is necessarily automatic despite the alignment pins.
Unca Fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #15
def
Beastly Adventurer
 
def's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: The woods and mountains of Alabama
Oddometer: 8,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdonna View Post
I hear you def, but...... I've got a R1100RS up on the stand in my shop broken in half right now for a new clutch install. Not a hard job really, just a pain in the ass! The friction disc spline is worn out and DRY AS A POPCORN FART!

I am saying that for preventative maintenance (say every 40.000kms) a tiny squirt of moly into the splines, will keep them happy and push back the eventual date of rebuild.

So you're into metal porn? Want the pics??
Yeeeeooooooowwwwwweeeeeee..........yes, photos please....big ones with lots of different positions...ahem, I mean angles.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014