User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
JLeather OP
Bike Butcherer

Oddometer: 289
My first Airhead GS

Picked this old girl up in a trade over the weekend; 1993 R100GSPD. Didn't come with much of the history, but a folder of receipts for some interesting goodies. In the last 5 years it's had the heads rebuilt and new exhaust valves (guess someone burned them), new starter, Spiegler lines, Transmission rebuild, Corbin seat, new Staintune exhaust, carb rebuild, Bruno's driveshaft rebuild, etc. The trans rebuild lists bearings and seals, but doesn't mention the circlip mod. What are the odds it was done? I'm going to call Speed's Cycle who did the rebuild and see if they remember the bike, but it was done in '05 so they probably won't remember it.

It's a little crusty, I can see a few wiring issues, etc but overall I'm excited to get her read for spring. I've got a few pics, who can spot mods I should know about? Aux lights don't work, and it's got a Sigma bicycle speedo because the bike is an import with a kph speedo. How can I convert it to an mph speedo?

What all should I check, service before spring? Gonna start with the obvious, a full set of fluids, new battery, tires, etc. I've got a '95 Oilhead GS, and of course my /5 and /2's, but this is my first Airhead GS.

And the obligatory pics...

JLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 530
Damn sweet ride

Here is mine...

Sounds like good work has been done....
You've even got the kickstart which is cool as hell.
Fastway pegs too.

Speedometers come up on Ebay often. All will fail somewhere around 60 to 160 so thats probably why he put the easy cheap one on that he did. You can have them rebuilt though by a couple of places that you can find on ADV that both make them better than original.

Congrats, in my opinion this is the best bike there ever was/is. I have had a lot of them so my sampling experience is good.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Lower rear shock mount ...

It's a good idea to inspect the stud which attaches the
lower end of the rear shock to the final drive case. Me,
I'd probably spend the $50 to buy a new stud and install
it ( using the factory specified torque and thread locking
compound ) just so I knew the part history.

These studs have failed in the past and the
consequences can ( obviously ) be serious indeed.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 08:18 AM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
It's a good idea to inspect the stud which attaches the
lower end of the rear shock to the final drive case. Me,
I'd probably spend the $50 to buy a new stud and install
it, just so I knew the part history.

These studs have failed in the past and the
consequences can ( obviously ) be serious indeed.

I'm in the process of changing out this stud - not because it failed, but due to the fact that I broke it during shock installation. Give it a an inspection if you feel the need, but a replacement is not required.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
Beater
Breakin' Somethin'

Oddometer: 2,743
Very nice. Welcome to the asylum.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
jackass dave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
airheads get under your skin ,ive had a few ,sold a few ,allways missed them,now looking for another one ,theres an enduring charm about them,that you just cant put your finger on .
you soon grow to love them ..looks like you picked up a really nice one there ,hope you enjoy it ,wouldnt mind it myself
jackass dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 817
Or they turn into an obsession ;-) as depicted in the link
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
JLeather OP
Bike Butcherer

When did they stop putting the kickstart on them? I tried kickstarting it for fun and it wasn't happening. The head rebuild included some port work and decking (mentioned in the receipt) and I don't know what the compression is now but it's pretty stout. Maybe on a warm day, once she's all dialed in and been run good the kickstarter will work, but for the time being it's a novelty.

The bike was supposedly from Canada originally, hence the kph speedometer. Is there a way to verify where it was originally sold? Is the speedo drive the same for mph and kph speedos and I just need a new head unit? Can the kph speedo be rebuilt as an mph maybe?

I love airheads, and what I really wanted this bike for was to be more dirt-oriented than my '95 R1100GS. So far it looks like it'll live up to the task quite well
Old 03-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
Chad M
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeather View Post
The bike was supposedly from Canada originally, hence the kph speedometer. Is there a way to verify where it was originally sold? Is the speedo drive the same for mph and kph speedos and I just need a new head unit? Can the kph speedo be rebuilt as an mph maybe?
I would think there are plenty of US bikes in Canada (like mine) where guys are looking for Metric speedos (like me) and are willing to trade instruments (mine is only 4k miles from new!).

... if only yours was a G/S!
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,415
pretty sure they only put kick starters on the R80G/S and not the R100GS at least the American ones.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
JLeather OP
Bike Butcherer

Ok, so how much work is it to just verify the circlip mod has been done? The transmissionw as rebuilt with new bearings a few thousand miles ago by a local independent shop with reasonable BMW experience (Speed's Cycle, they also did the heads). The PO is deceased unfortunately, so I can't ask him, and I sent an eMail to the shop asking if they did the circlip mode and they said "if it needed it we did it". Frankly I found that answer a bit odd, and being the relatively paranoid person I am I am not satisfied with it. It's probably fine the shop was initially a BMW shop although now they do mostly Ducati's, and they should have known to do it.

I have the options of just riding it since with a fresh rebuild there's thousands of miles in it even without the circlip, or opening it up and taking a look. I need to lube the driveshaft and clutch splines anyway, so it'll be out of the bike. How hard is it to open it up and put it back together? I've rebuilt a /2 transmission and didn't screw that up too badly. All I need to do to check the circlip is pop off the cover and remove the output shaft? Do I need another big batch of special tools for this?

In the mean time I'm just cleaning up some wiring and making room for a new set of PIAA's. I haven't got the title yet, so I haven't test-ridden it to see what else it needs. I know it needs tires, and I'm looking for a good set of less-expensive 60/40's.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #12
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
If you intend to lube the driveshaft splines as per the original recommendation at 8000 km, using something good like the Honda Moly 60, run a good quality full synth trans oil and change it by the book, and keep the revs above 3200 in top gear then the gearbox will last a long time, with or without the circlip.

Keeping the revs above 3200 will also mean you wont need a fancy $1000 ignition system with 22 curves which are all in by 3200 revs, and which will need 22 dyno runs to find which one works best, below 3200.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,553
vroom!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 617
Enjoy. Ride then repair as needed. You'll figure out the rest, what works for you, as you go.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
Havingfun
the road less traveled...

Oddometer: 84
Nice Acquisition

There are several long threads in this forum of rebuilds. Look through them and you'll learn tons about the GS. As long as it is safe to ride (which it appears to be), hop on it and ride. Over time you'll determine what are the easy fixes/upgrades and what the expensive ones are. Many find that maintaining the bike is as much fun as riding the bike. That is why when you ask a question like you've asked you get a wide spectrum of responses. And frankly, it depends on how you plan to ride it as to what you do to it (touring vs. fire roads vs. weekend country roads, etc.)

Again, congrats on a great bike.