User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Tagman OP
JCunningham Colo

Oddometer: 79
Elect problem in Mexico

1986 R80RT, Not charging, I cannot get gen light to come on with key, I have checked the wiring to my voltmeter and the light bulb in the speedo housing and both are fine. What do I ck next?
Tagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
motosavant
Master Lurker

Oddometer: 5
No GEN light with key on and engine off usually means open circuited,failed rotor-
With key on,stick a coin,screwdriver,or other handy conductor to short across both copper slip rings on the end of the rotor.If this makes the GEN light come on,the rotor is bad.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,388
Where in mexico are you? If you're close to me I'd be happy to help.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Tagman OP
JCunningham Colo

I'm located in San Carlos, Sonora. When I short the rotor with a coin the light does come on. My rotor was darker on one side than the other, is there any other possibilities I can ck or is that it?
Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Tagman OP
JCunningham Colo

I have removed the generator, I assume there must be a puller for the rotor? Any way to remove without a puller?
Old 03-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,275
This is the special tool used to remove the rotor:

You replace the bolt that holds the rotor on with this and tighten it down a bit. The non-threaded portion bottoms out in the crankshaft and puts outward force on the rotor when you tighten it. The rotor itself is threaded as well as the crank. The idea is to thread into the rotor, but not into the crank.

See how the last part of the bolt isn't threaded? You can take the original rotor bolt and a small rod of metal a little smaller than the bolt, about an inch to 2 inches long to make a two-piece removal tool. I'm not exactly sure of the length, you may need to play with that. Remove the rotor bolt, put the short piece of steel in it's place, then put the bolt in and tighten it down a bit. When the rotor bolt bottoms out on the short rod it puts outward pressure on the rotor. Don't crank down on that too hard! Put some pressure on it then tap the rotor with a rubber mallet or a small hammer and it should pop off.

Do you have an electrical meter? You can test the rotor by checking resistance between the rings on the rotor. You should get around 2-3 ohms. If you read zero resistance, the rotor is bad. Make sure to put a credit card or something underneath the brushes otherwise your meter will read through the brushes rather than through the windings of the rotor.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 12:15 PM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Tagman OP
JCunningham Colo

Thank you, I slid a 1 1/2 exhaust stud in the hole, installed bolt tightly, Tapped it and it came rt off. I'm going to go get my loaned out meter and test, results shortly.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,275
good luck!

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Tagman OP
JCunningham Colo

With an ohm meter it reads open, no reading from ring to ring. Now it seems I have to find a rotor from Mexico, easier said than done, at best I'll have to ship to Tuscon and wait 2-3 weeks for mail pickup in the states. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,609
Danger, Danger, Danger.

Have I got your attention? I hope I'm not to late. If you do not have the proper tool it is possible to substitute a short piece of some HARDENED metal rod. The shank cut off a drill bit should work if a quality drill bit. They are hardened. We have one or two of these a year where the metal used is bent inside the crank bore and it becomes difficult to remove.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
Tagman OP
JCunningham Colo

Thanks, I thought of that, I used a steel exhaust stud from a Honda 90, I tightened slightly and with one light tap it came off in my hand. I was lucky I know
Old 03-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,622
Have you tried posting at Horizons Unlimited, in the Mexico section?

If there aren't any ADVR's who have a spare rotor kicking around, that is a good place to post as well.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...ca-and-mexico/

You can also search the inmates are using the advanced search option for "Sonora"... when you click on inmates, and then search, below the search text box is a ".", click on that to get to the advanced search area..

Looks like there is one ADVR in that area that runs a motorcycle tour business... may be a good place to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.

SOLO LOBO screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 01:54 PM
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
Tagman OP
JCunningham Colo

I have ordered a used rotor, gen and diode board off ebay, $85 (i love having extra parts down here). They are being sent to Tuscon and I will see them in 2 weeks, looks like my f650 is my main ride for now. Thanks to all, John
Old 03-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagman View Post
(i love having extra parts down here)
I feel your pain. I can count the number of mexican airheads I've seen in the last 2 years on less than one hand - not exactly a lot of them around - likewise with parts.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #15
Tagman OP
JCunningham Colo

I called the only guy I know here with an airhead to see if he had upgraded his elect system, no cigar but I tried. I have only seen 1 other airhead in my travels and I probably go to at least 2 rallys pr mo here.