Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #136
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-crow View Post
Jason,

I currently have a 38L Traxx top case on my g650GS that primarily works as a backrest for my wife. I am moving up to the GS LS and I am curious if the HN 38L top case would work as well as what I have been using. Have you tried it or heard any feedback?

Also, I would like to know how the panniers attach to the frame. It looks like it sits on the base and the knobs inside are turned to lock the latches into place, but I haven't been able to find anything that shows it.

On that same topic, how does the top case attach? My Traxx case rattles alot, but it is quick to attach/detach.

Thanks!
Hi b-crow - hopefully we got you all squared away via email. For reference here, the Holan top case mounts are a "bolt down" design to prevent rattling from quick release latches over time. The cases are universal and come undrilled; however, Holan includes a reinforcement plate that bolts to the bottom of the top case (further strengthening the 2mm case floor) that also doubles as a drilling template. The top case mounts include all the hardware to install a Holan top case to the mount. Once the reinforcement plate is installed on the bottom of the top case (four holes) and the four retention holes are drilled, it's just a matter of setting the assembly on the luggage plate and threading the allen head bolts into the pressed in rivnuts. The case is very stable and secured to the bike when the top case is locked.

Any questions, please let me know!

Check out the ADV Motorrad vendor thread for great deals on adventure gear!
rotaryracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #137
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZDiaz View Post
some better pic´s of the Holan Nomadas in my bike

Looks awesome, and thanks very much for the pics!

The more I stare at pictures of farkled-out GSWs with Nomada Pro systems on 'em, the more my poor Oilhead gets nervous she's going to be traded in.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #138
damytzeus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
top case for lc gs bmw adventure rack

jason:

will a nomada top case mount on the new bmw lc r1200gs adventure tail rack? if yes, will it easily attach and detach?

btw, i unintentionally crash tested one of my nomada panniers and it held up quite well. sure spared the bike damage.

thank you.
damytzeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:01 AM   #139
IRideASlowBike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Jason, what kind of wait time should I expect if I ordered 2 panniers and possibly a top box in gray powdercoat?
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:28 AM   #140
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damytzeus View Post
jason:

will a nomada top case mount on the new bmw lc r1200gs adventure tail rack? if yes, will it easily attach and detach?

btw, i unintentionally crash tested one of my nomada panniers and it held up quite well. sure spared the bike damage.

thank you.
Hey damytzeus - glad to hear that you and the bike are ok! We've had a few customers unfortunately crash test their pannier systems (including one that threw it down the highway at about 60 mph!) and except for some new "character marks", the panniers and racks shrug it off easily.

The current Nomada Pro top case mount is only compatible with the standard GSW LC rack at the moment. You can swap out the OEM GS rack for Holan's Adventure rack to get the same benefits of the new GSAW rack, and that includes a top case plate to mount your Holan case. I'll ask the factory how they're coming along on a top case fitment for the new GSAW and will post back up here.

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2014, 03:33 AM   #141
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRideASlowBike View Post
Jason, what kind of wait time should I expect if I ordered 2 panniers and possibly a top box in gray powdercoat?
Hi IRide - for panniers, we've been quoting about 60 days from factory order date (we were pretty heavily inundated with orders in the pre-season), although recently we've started seeing systems and other parts come in sooner than that. We place orders once a month, with our next order going in on or about 5/18. Best bet is to plan on mid-July, and we will work to expedite and get them delivered to you sooner!

I do have a pretty good selection of top cases in matte gray currently in the 25L, 38L, and 45L. I may also have a 29L in an upcoming shipment. Anything in stock in New York will ship ASAP, and given your proximity, should only take a couple of days to arrive.

Any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2014, 03:57 AM   #142
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

And for those that haven't finalized on their luggage yet for this season - we do have limited stock currently of Nomada Pro II systems for the 2013+ R1200GS LC and 2014+ R1200GS Adventure LC in New York and ready to ship!

In stock and ready to go:
  • 38L Nomada Pro II Panniers - Matte Black
  • 45L Nomada Pro II Panniers - Matte Black
  • 45L Nomada Pro II Panniers - Natural Aluminum
  • 45L Nomada Pro II Panniers - Natural Aluminum with Matte Black Lids
I also have the standard racks in mild steel with black powdercoat, as well as the stainless racks in the natural bead blast finish available. If you want the benefits of stainless but want your racks blacked out, we also work with a kick-ass local powdercoater that can make that happen for a nominal cost.

The 45L system is definitely the one you want if you're planning a long trip and/or riding two-up. It offers the largest carrying capacity, and the overall system width is still a slim 38.6". That's about 1.5" narrower than other companies "Special" systems, and 2.5" narrower than competitive asymmetrical systems. The stock bike width at the mirrors is 37.5", so you are only 0.5" wider on each side with Holan, versus 1.3" to 1.8" wider with other systems. Holan is known for fitting their pannier systems to the bike as tightly as possible, and they've really succeeded here.

The first three options above are full system panniers, which include the mounts pre-installed at the factory. The aluminum/matte black lid pannier sets (two complete sets available) are bare panniers and do not have the mount kit pre-installed (although I do have the mounts in stock). I'll take $75 off for the DIY install, which means you can get a 45L Holan system for your R1200GS LC with custom option lids for $1,049.99. That's $20 less than the normal price on a 31L system without the custom lids, and it can ship within 24-48 hours!

Any questions, please email me at sales AT advmotorrad DOT com or PM me here on ADVrider.

Thanks!

rotaryracer screwed with this post 05-13-2014 at 05:36 PM
Old 05-04-2014, 05:09 AM   #143
JZDiaz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
One from the rear

JZDiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:14 AM   #144
middleview
gizmo

Oddometer: 51
Hello JZDiaz, is that the Holan adventure-style rack you mounted the top case on? Looks to put the case much lower than the other rack - and about 1-2" inches behind the seat. Is that right? Thanks. For your feedback.
middleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #145
JZDiaz
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleview View Post
Hello JZDiaz, is that the Holan adventure-style rack you mounted the top case on? Looks to put the case much lower than the other rack - and about 1-2" inches behind the seat. Is that right? Thanks. For your feedback.

Yes it is, i like it to lower the center of gravity , great product
Old 05-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #146
damytzeus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
thank you, jason for the response. how well does the top case work as a back rest for a pillion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaryracer View Post
Hey damytzeus - glad to hear that you and the bike are ok! We've had a few customers unfortunately crash test their pannier systems (including one that threw it down the highway at about 60 mph!) and except for some new "character marks", the panniers and racks shrug it off easily.

The current Nomada Pro top case mount is only compatible with the standard GSW LC rack at the moment. You can swap out the OEM GS rack for Holan's Adventure rack to get the same benefits of the new GSAW rack, and that includes a top case plate to mount your Holan case. I'll ask the factory how they're coming along on a top case fitment for the new GSAW and will post back up here.

Thanks!
damytzeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #147
middleview
gizmo

Oddometer: 51
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZDiaz View Post
Yes it is, i like it to lower the center of gravity , great product
Thanks for the reply. Ordered. I love my Holan panniers, so looking forward to mounting this up.
middleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #148
JZDiaz
Adventurer

you will not regret, is a great complement to the side paniers
Old 05-10-2014, 06:20 AM   #149
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damytzeus View Post
thank you, jason for the response. how well does the top case work as a back rest for a pillion?
Quite well, actually! The Holan top case mount for the OEM rack does put the case higher and slightly more forward, so if you're looking for a more space in the passenger compartment, the ADV rack (or hopefully an upcoming mount for the BMW GSA LC rack) will lower the top case and move it rearward, offering more room. As all Holan cases are a bolt-down design, they're very securely mounted...no worries about quick releases loosening up and having you passenger feel the case move around on the mounts.

The 25L is probably too low to be useful (or comfortable) as a back rest, but would make a good backstop if your pillion still wants something behind them. The 29L is ok as it's a bit taller, but the 38L and up work great for this purpose.

Any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2014, 06:20 AM   #150
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleview View Post
Thanks for the reply. Ordered. I love my Holan panniers, so looking forward to mounting this up.
Thanks middleview - I think you're really going to like it, and would love to see some pics when done!