Old 05-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #166
IRideASlowBike
Banned

Oddometer: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
You are welcome Jason

Yes, that should be 38L PRO's (1st Gen)
Panniers (and bikes) had a lot of beating during this trip, check their blog for more pictures and great stories: http://earth-roamers.blogspot.com

Kind regards,
Oleksii

Thank you! What are you using for a pannier frame and rear luggage rack?
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #167
mermoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
without reading all the way through this thread do the Holan Nomada panniers and frames for the R 1200 GS fit the New Adventure GS?
mermoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #168
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Hi Mermoto - they do. We've had a few customers transfer their Holan systems from 2013 GSWs to 2014 GSW Adventures with no issues. I've got a few pictures from Adventure customers that I will upload this week.

Thanks!

Check out the ADV Motorrad vendor thread for great deals on adventure gear!
rotaryracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #169
IRideASlowBike
Banned

Oddometer: 1,786
How are those mid-May orders coming?
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:38 AM   #170
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRideASlowBike View Post
How are those mid-May orders coming?
Moving along steadily! Still have some time before I expect they will depart Poland and start showing up, but I will definitely keep you posted as I get new commercial invoices from Holan.

Thanks!

Old 06-10-2014, 03:44 AM   #171
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

A couple new pictures of Holan panniers mounted on the new GSW Adventure....

Old 06-10-2014, 03:48 AM   #172
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

And a well-farkled 2013....this has a full Holan 38L pannier system in matte black, 38L top box to match, and the full Rockfox upper/lower crashbar system that we import from South Africa. Click the picture below to be taken to Holan's product page, or here for more information on Rockfox.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:16 AM   #173
mindgame
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Secure against thieves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaryracer View Post
That's correct. The panniers come undrilled and without mounts so that they can be used on just about any rack system. The Holan mounts are really nice - heavy duty reinforcement rib that runs across the back of the case, straightforward rotating arm system at the top, and competitively priced at $74.99 each side. That said, we've also had customers mount up Holan panniers on Happy Trail racks using their puck system. You might not get all the strength of the Holan mounts, but they cost quite a bit less and are sold for a variety of standard rack diameters (GIVI, Hepco-Becker, Holan/Touratech, etc.).

The Holan mounts can accept rack tubing diameter between 15-18mm, but the width and shape of the loops are fixed due to the reinforcement rib. There's really no way to adjust it unless you got rid of the rib, or cut/sectioned it to fit. You can see the Holan mount below, and can click any of the pictures to be taken to the product page.

Hi,

I've already done some 'research' on panniers for the GS LC and I'm very fond of the look of the Holan Nomada's, in part because of the (more or less) symmetric look and the fact that the panniers are fairly close to the bike, as opposed to the Touratech Zega's.

I've read positive reviews on the quality and finish of the Nomada's, but am wondering how secure the panniers are mounted on the rack. It's not that I'm worried they'll fall off while riding, but rather that they'll be stolen. I have the impression that the upper 'hinges' can be rotated down with minimal effort, but I'm probably mistaken? I'm of course aware that anything can be stolen with the right amount of effort, but I would nevertheless like a minimum of security when leaving the bike unattended.

What are your thoughts on this?
mindgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:49 AM   #174
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindgame View Post
Hi,

I've already done some 'research' on panniers for the GS LC and I'm very fond of the look of the Holan Nomada's, in part because of the (more or less) symmetric look and the fact that the panniers are fairly close to the bike, as opposed to the Touratech Zega's.

I've read positive reviews on the quality and finish of the Nomada's, but am wondering how secure the panniers are mounted on the rack. It's not that I'm worried they'll fall off while riding, but rather that they'll be stolen. I have the impression that the upper 'hinges' can be rotated down with minimal effort, but I'm probably mistaken? I'm of course aware that anything can be stolen with the right amount of effort, but I would nevertheless like a minimum of security when leaving the bike unattended.

What are your thoughts on this?
Hi mindgame - most pannier systems use a similar mounting system with fixed arms at the bottom and rotating cam arms at the top. The Holan mounts probably aren't any worse or better in this regard when it comes to security - if someone wants your pannier bad enough, they can probably figure out a way to remove it (even if it's through destructive means). You can't loosen the tensioning knobs inside the pannier if the lids are closed and locked, and when the panniers are mounted and tightened down on the pannier frames, the cam arms can't easily be rotated by hand.

Net-net, I'm sure some scuzzball could figure out a way, but I'm not sure if there's a good solution to keep the quick release functionality while making them more secure. You could fab up some different mounts to bolt the panniers on semi-permanently with security bolts, but that will definitely make them more cumbersome to remove.

Hope that helps...

Old 06-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #175
mindgame
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaryracer View Post
Hi mindgame - most pannier systems use a similar mounting system with fixed arms at the bottom and rotating cam arms at the top. The Holan mounts probably aren't any worse or better in this regard when it comes to security - if someone wants your pannier bad enough, they can probably figure out a way to remove it (even if it's through destructive means). You can't loosen the tensioning knobs inside the pannier if the lids are closed and locked, and when the panniers are mounted and tightened down on the pannier frames, the cam arms can't easily be rotated by hand.

Net-net, I'm sure some scuzzball could figure out a way, but I'm not sure if there's a good solution to keep the quick release functionality while making them more secure. You could fab up some different mounts to bolt the panniers on semi-permanently with security bolts, but that will definitely make them more cumbersome to remove.

Hope that helps...
If they can't easily be rotated by hand it's good enough for me. Just wanted to make sure they can't be stolen in a matter of seconds. Looks like I'll buy the Nomada's, thanks for the info
mindgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #176
Hilowblow
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Hi Jason,

I'm thinking about getting a photo top case (the lower one) for my '14 GS LC. To put the top case, do i also need a rack? Or i can install it on my OEM rack that came with the bike?

Please let me know.
Thank you.
Hilowblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:10 AM   #177
damytzeus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
frankly, once i tighten the panniers, it's often a challenge to loosen the knob from inside the pannier -much less attempting to do so from the outside. perhaps, if one could figure out how to get a hammer or powered saw between into the minimal gap between pannier and bike's frame then maybe... such methods would likely destroy the panniers' utility in hopes of finding something valuable in the panniers? and the thief would have to do that twice?? it would likely prove far easier and far more sensible -not that criminals are sensible- to steal the whole motorcycle than just the panniers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindgame View Post
If they can't easily be rotated by hand it's good enough for me. Just wanted to make sure they can't be stolen in a matter of seconds. Looks like I'll buy the Nomada's, thanks for the info
damytzeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #178
Existence_Inc
The Wanderer

Oddometer: 192
Jason,
Any ETA on your next shipment? I'm trying to decide between these and the Bumot set you guys offer (black/black). Thanks.

~Ex
2014 BMW R1200GS
Existence_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #179
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Hi Existance - we just received another order from Poland and I may have one GSW system left in stock after all pre-orders are filled, but it would be stainless bead-blast racks with natural aluminum panniers. We do have more systems on order in various sizes and finishes and receive monthly shipments from Poland, so if you can let me know the size panniers you're looking for, I can check what we have on order already. If we don't have an exact match, we're probably looking at between 45-60 days from our next factory order date.

For BUMOT, we do have another shipment scheduled to arrive later this week that will have matte black GSW systems on it (I believe both 40L and 45L). Most, if not all of these systems will also have the very cool optional toolbox pre-installed, and I will also have top case mounts (for the standard GS LC, not the GSA LC...yet) and top cases to match. I can validate availability after pre-orders are filled, but should have stock on hand and could ship out as soon as next week.

Any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #180
WTRBOX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Thumb

Hi! I'm interested in a setup basically just like this one pictured. When is your deadline to get in on the next order for the Holan Nomada Pros? And then it will be 45-60 days from order date till I would receive them? Of course would like them asap lol...so just trying to get an idea of the timeframe and if I can wait that long. Thanks for your time!
Attached Images

WTRBOX is offline   Reply With Quote