User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #91
damytzeus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
jason:

i saw in another photo that that adv rack connected to the rack for the holan panniers. i guess that i thought that the adv rack required the panniers rack. so, can the we install adv rack without panniers rack? if yes, does the capacity of the adv rack decrease without connecting to panniers rack? any compromises to this configuration -without mounting to panniers rack?

thank you.
--willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaryracer View Post
Hi cug - happy to help! There are essentially two plates that come with the Holan ADV rack (and all Holan top case mounts) - a luggage plate with the laser cut logo which is shown in the picture, and a "reinforcement plate" which attaches to the bottom of the top case and provides additional strength. The only thing that changes when ordering a specfic size mount is the reinforcement plate...the luggage plate and rack stay the same, and the width of the reinforcement plate increases or decreases based on top case size. If you look closely at the top case in the picture below, you can just see the reinforcement plate bolted on to the bottom of the 25L Photo top case. The other picture is of a Tiger 800 showing the reinforcement plate just loosely sitting on top of the luggage plate before being bolted to the floor of the case.

Net-net, with the Holan ADV rack, you get the tubular stainless rack, a luggage plate with threaded top case mounting inserts, a reinforcement plate to stiffen the bottom of any flat-bottom case (sized for Holan cases, but universal), and all mounting hardware. Hope that helps, but let me know if you have any other questions.

I may have a couple of "factory seconds" for the ADV rack that I'm going to do for a nice discount....PM me if interested...

Thanks!
damytzeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #92
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by damytzeus View Post
jason:

i saw in another photo that that adv rack connected to the rack for the holan panniers. i guess that i thought that the adv rack required the panniers rack. so, can the we install adv rack without panniers rack? if yes, does the capacity of the adv rack decrease without connecting to panniers rack? any compromises to this configuration -without mounting to panniers rack?

thank you.
--willie
Hi Willie - there are optional reinforcement braces that can connect the Holan ADV rack to the pannier rack, but both the ADV rack and pannier rack can be installed and used independently of each other. The braces may slightly increase the load carrying capacity up top, but given the heavy duty construction of the rack alone, you'd probably hit your personal limit of how much weight you want up that high before you overstressed the rack. The braces help tie everything together nicel, distribute the load more evenly, and give you a heavy duty platform for both side and top cases.

Hope that helps - any questions, let me know?

Thanks!

Check out the ADV Motorrad vendor thread for great deals on adventure gear!
rotaryracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #93
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Id probably be interested in one of the "seconds" of the adv rack...
Old 09-21-2013, 12:22 AM   #94
damytzeus
Adventurer

holan headlight guard and powerlet outlet on lc r1200gs

jason -and others:

thought you may wanna see the holan headlight guard on led headlight. quite pleased with them. i looked at quite a few and liked this one the best. thank you, jason.

one of the many blessings of living in colorado: lots of options to find oneself 30+ miles from the nearest paved road in the mountains.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #95
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Willie, the bike looks great! That Holan headlight guard looks like it will do a nice job protecting your LED headlight, and the Powerlet rearset outlet will definitely come in handy. I'll keep you posted when the rest of your order arrives so you can keep on farklin'.

Thanks for the pics...

Old 09-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #96
damytzeus
Adventurer

jason:
unless i get another set of aux lights or knobbies, i think i'm done farkling till rest of my order arrives. just piling on miles before snow starts falling in the hills.

btw, feel free to download photos and use on your website.

Quote:
Willie, the bike looks great! That Holan headlight guard looks like it will do a nice job protecting your LED headlight, and the Powerlet rearset outlet will definitely come in handy. I'll keep you posted when the rest of your order arrives so you can keep on farklin'.

Thanks for the pics...
Old 09-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #97
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Hey Jason - just wanted to let you know: I was about to order the Holan stainless steel ADV rear rack for the 2013 GS, but decided not to.

I got as far as putting it into the cart, checking out, getting to the shipping section. On top of the $370 rack the site estimates $34 shipping. That would make it $404 shipped to my door. Given that this is an Eastern European clone of a BMW OEM idea, I stopped right there, questioned my sanity, and decided that this is totally out of the question.

Btw: the rack is $300 in Europe before tax. The BMW rack for the older models is $320. I guess I'm going to wait and see what BMW comes up with.

Sorry.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:42 AM   #98
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

No worries cug - everyone needs to make their own decision on availability, functionality, price, and other factors. Since the BMW OEM part won't be available for the LC for some time, I can't directly compare it to the Holan ADV rack. The Holan is very well built (18mm tubing with 2mm wall thickness), lowers the CoG when running a top case or packing other gear, and is available now. We've sold a fair number of the ADV racks this season and have received extremely positive feedback.

To clarify the price on the Holan.pl site - the stainless rack in natural glass bead finish with the Large top case mount comes up to $342.40 (266 €), exclusive of shipping. Holan's foreign exchange rates are optimistic at about $1.28 USD to 1 EUR (I just had to buy Euros at a hair under 1.4 ), so if you adjust for current exchange rates, we're actually $3 cheaper than buying it from Poland.

Anyway - enjoy that new LC, and best of luck!

Old 09-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #99
damytzeus
Adventurer

bar risers

jason:

do you know whether these bar risers require longer brake and/or clutch cables? that seems like quite height to add without longer cables.

Rox 1 1/2" Block Riser for 1 1/4" Handlebars - Fits 2013+ BMW R1200GS LC (3R-B13R) - http://goo.gl/u5NPwE

thanks.
--willie
Old 09-26-2013, 03:26 AM   #100
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Hi Willie - I don't believe longer cables are necessary (there's usually some re-routing involved), but will connect with my rep over at Rox today and confirm.

Thanks!

Jason

Old 09-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #101
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Willie, Rox confirmed there's no need for longer cables - there's enough slack to use the stock cables. They have done a few of these with both the block risers and the new 2" pivoting risers and they loosen up some of the wire ties under the tank, move the brake line to the outside of the fork tube, and then zip tie the brake line to a small hole in the frame that you would think was designed exactly for that. The clutch line rerouting isn't required, but they've had customers do it to match the brake and provide a bit of additional slack.

We've got one set of the block risers left in stock, and should have the 2" pivoting risers by next week.

Thanks!

Jason

rotaryracer screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 04:58 PM
Old 09-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #102
damytzeus
Adventurer

thank you, jason:

i like the pivoting risers. one concern: rigidity of the risers. also, how come so expensive compared their other pivoting risers?

Quote:
Willie, Rox confirmed there's no need for longer cables - there's enough slack to use the stock cables. They have done a few of these with both the block risers and the new 2" pivoting risers (which we should get next week!) and they loosen up some of the wire ties under the tank, move the brake line to the outside of the fork tube, and then zip tie the brake line to a small hole in the frame that you would think was designed exactly for that. The clutch line rerouting isn't required, but they've had customers do it to match the brake and provide a bit of additional slack.

We've got one set of the block risers left in stock, and should have the 2" pivoting risers by next week. Until we get them listed on the site, you can click the picture below to get more info.

Thanks!

Jason
Old 09-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #103
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damytzeus View Post
thank you, jason:

i like the pivoting risers. one concern: rigidity of the risers. also, how come so expensive compared their other pivoting risers?
Yeah, good question. My guess is that due to the larger handlebars, the market they can amortize the costs over is smaller so each one is a bit more costly. They also include a replacement set of caps for the stock bar clamps, as apparently the OEM ones wouldn't work as they do with the other applications. I wish they were a little closer in price to the 1" or 1 1/8" pivoting riser prices as well, but they sure do look purdy....

Old 09-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #104
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

We've been shipping LC systems like crazy this week, and have sent a bunch of pre-orders out the door (if you haven't received a shipment notification, we're still waiting on inventory). Holan is working on putting together the next shipment which is supposed to have quite a few more LC systems on it, so I expect to get additional orders filled in the next month or so. As soon as I get the commercial invoice and know what's coming in, I'll keep you all posted.

For those that can't wait that long, I have one GSW system currently in inventory that's not spoken for. The system includes Nomada Pro II 45L panniers in natural aluminum with powdercoated black lids and stainless pannier racks. I may also have a set of natural aluminum lids in stock if you'd like to swap out for the black lids, although I've gotta say the custom color lids look hella cool. As this one is in stock in New York, it can ship out within 24-48 hours. We also have a matching 38L top case on order (aluminum with black lid), and top case mounts from Holan and DS Bike Protection in stock.

Here's what the aluminum/black lid color option looks like (mounted on a Wee-Strom)...

Any questions, please let me know!

Thanks...

rotaryracer screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 05:23 AM
Old 10-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #105
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,557
You forgot to mention that you did NOT buy your cases from Jason. You've had your say... posting the same thing over and over achieves nothing more than thread shitting.. Your repeated posts have been deleted.