User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2011, 05:23 AM   #1
theborv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Rukka Argonaut jacket and trousers

I finally recieved the Argonaut jacket and trousers today, and I like it. Like it much better than the Armas.
The fit of the trousers are very similiar or identical to the armas. The jacket is a little longer than the Armas, which is good, and the cut is less box-like on the Argonaut, which is good. I think the kit is comfy and breathes well.

The Argonaut doesn't have the seal-like cuffs as on the Armas, which I think is good for ventilation, so I suspect the Argonaut has a wider temperature range than the Armas. I haven't tried the ventilating zips on the chest yet.

The liner in both jacket and trousers is quite thin, we'll see how that performs when it gets colder than it is now.

The gore lock-out will be ok I think, don't find it difficult to use. The neck area will take a little getting used to zipping it up, as the are little flaps that goes over/under eachother, it's just a matter of knowing automatically which ones flaps where, and with gloves on I'm not on auto yet!

There is a mesh-like wicking liner in the jacket and trousers, so no Nikwax wash-in will be used, which is a shame as I would like to use it to soften the material a little, but that might just soften with time and washing anyway.

I've only ridden it on a short trip, so I will post more as I go along.
theborv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
theborv OP
Adventurer

One thing I didn't like so far, is the knee armour's square mesh pattern, as due to the squares pattern, individual walls/lines of the little squares can put it self on the edge of my kneecap and it becomes a little pressure point. We'll see how it goes, but I might consider changing the armour if that continues. Imagine a long trip, 4-5 hours with pressure points...

Probably would disappear with the liner in, and I wasn't wearing a long john either, just boxers.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,038
Pictures!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
theborv OP
Adventurer

jacket front
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
theborv OP
Adventurer

jacket back
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
theborv OP
Adventurer

jacket open without liner
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2011, 06:49 AM   #7
theborv OP
Adventurer

sleeve, note no zippers, just velcro adjuster, works well
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2011, 06:49 AM   #8
theborv OP
Adventurer

trousers front
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2011, 06:50 AM   #9
theborv OP
Adventurer

trousers back
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2011, 06:50 AM   #10
theborv OP
Adventurer

trousers leg zip for liner
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2011, 06:51 AM   #11
theborv OP
Adventurer

sorry, bad quality pics :(
Old 08-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #12
theborv OP
Adventurer

Just been out for a little longer trip. I think the liners could have been warmer. They are not that warm. I will drop the liners and use my own stuff for isolation in colder temps. Also the lockout zip becomes a little tight around the neck when adding layers with necks, so I think I need to adjust my layering with stuff without necks. This wasn't the case with my previous jacket (a Dainese, don't know the model)

The trousers feel better without the hip protectors (took them out before riding this time). Also the liner is not that warm, but less of an issue, though get slightly colder on thighs. Will consider other options for leg insulation than the liner, just not sure what they'll be yet. The knee-armour still is pressure-pointy with the liners in. Wondering about using the armour from my previous trousers instead, or buy forcefield ones. We'll see.

The venting on the chest I don't think make much difference. Rukka could have saved themselves the effort and kept it all closed. Less of a worry when it rains, i.e. will the zips leak? Will the zips leak after a while? Was trying to hunt down some rain, but there wasn't any this evening. Tomorrow there is a rainy forcast, so hopefully I will get to try the kit out in the rain. The zips are hopeless to close while riding, have to pull over. Opening them are ok while riding.

Still getting used to the non-slipp ass patch :) I'm used to adjusting my seating position without having to raise my butt! So the patch works very well for it's intended purpose, just a habit thing to get over I guess.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
theborv OP
Adventurer

Went for a 260km round trip, and hit on some rain. Was a fair amount, but not that much, though I'm from Bergen, Norway, so "fair amount" will mean different things to different people. It rained maybe about a total of 1,5 hours of continous heavy rain, though it was spread out over the entire journey. I wished it rained more, so I could test it more

The gear holds up nicely in the rain, absolutely waterproof, and I was very glad to not have a single thought in my head weather or not I should put on a rainsuit to prevent the outer fabric getting drenched and making me cold and feel "wet". I will never go back to an inside waterproof membrane (detachable or fixed). The laminate solution is the way to go, hands down.

Still a little annoyed the liners in the Argonaut are not nearly warm enough, don't see the point of them, as they create bulk but not nearly enough heat. So liners are out in the jacket. Will leave in trouser for now until I have something better to replace it with.

I swapped the knee armour with the ones I had in my old trousers, perfect. Much more comfy then the Rukka waffle, no more waffle edges to rub/press on my knee caps.

Seems my butt get less tired in these trousers, I rode the last stretch without breaks, and I rode for a longer period before my butt started to complain, so that's a pluss.

So far I'm happy with the kit. Perhaps the trousers could have been a little less tight. Though my prevoious trousers were Dainese one size bigger, though the Rukka cut is a narrower one around the thighs and butt.

I will keep logging info here as I go
Old 08-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #14
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,261
I am using the Armas jacket and Argonaut trousers. I am pleased with the suit so far, but have not used it in the cold. May I ask what temperatures you are riding in to find the liners inadequate. I plan to use my heated jacket liner under the Armas for really cold weather use, but hope to get some use out of the provided liners until it gets below 40F.

Thanks for the review so far. I agree about the waterproofing system, it performed great for me in days of recent rain. No more liners, overcoats, etc.

Larry
Old 08-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #15
theborv OP
Adventurer

I used the liner in the trousers today together with a Icebreaker 260 long john and it was enough. Temps were around 8-9 degrees C at the coldest plus rain, so include windchill and wet surface on clothes. I could feel the cold at the top of my thighs, but I think that's very much due to the fact that the trousers are tight in that area and all the air in the insulation have been squeezed out. I suspect the Outlast liner in the Armas will be much better. The liner in the Argonaut is veeery thin... and isn't Outlast either.

My layer combo on my upper body wasn't the best, it was too warm with all 3, too cold with 2, the third layer were a Rab down microlight jacket and I was too lazy to stop, take off layer 2 and just use layer 1 and 3 :-o