Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #301
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
I really want to be done watching the video, as that part is hard for me.
I downloaded your video from youtube and cut it down to about 5-6 seconds of video. I put in on a loop and watched it in slow motion, fast motion, regular motion. After a short bit I got to the point that it was bothering me to watch the video. I realized I had to turn the sound off. The thud of you and the bike hitting the ground was getting disturbing.

Glad you're OK to live and ride another day.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #302
gregpz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Hi, I'm planning to do western parts of tat Colorado Utah and if time allows a little more on my 950 with very light load ( except me that is 6'3 220lb:)) your experience tells me I need to prepare better and test my skills before I leave for the trip of my life.
Glad that you're OK

And yes I do cover controlls 100% of the time or maybe rather 99.9% :)since my road racing days, it comes naturally without thinking once I adjust my controls (first thing when I get a new bike, motorcycle or bicycle)

gregpz screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 07:19 PM
gregpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #303
Import
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Holy crappppp, that's one brutal video........ Actually made my ar#} pucker....
Glad you were ok...I guess thats what you call a good fall....
Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #304
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
I'm a Paramedic Fire Fighter. Your video made me nauseated. I've been in this business for 20+ years and have done and seen many things but it still gets to me if I'm present to watch an accident occure. Arriving after is easy but to witness is a different emotion. So glad your okay. I crashed in September with an easy front slide out, I got whipped into the ground so fast, I had no idea until I hit the ground. Outcome was # clavicle, disco big toe, and 3 broken bones in my foot. I certainly can relate to the WTF feelings you get from the joy of riding to reality of the new situation. I thought for sure I had punctured my lung and contemplated my discomfort on using my leatherman, hand sanitizer and air gauge housing to re-inflate it, in the end I luckily did not need to do that.
I'm now healed, metal plate 8 screws and some chicken wire in the shoulder. LOL, all heals with time. Looking forward to July a group of us going to do the CBDR. Fun fun.
Blessings to you
Mike
Old 03-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #305
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho911 View Post
Outcome was # clavicle, disco big toe, and 3 broken bones in my foot.
Hey Nacho, that sounds wretched.

How serious is a disco big toe, and does it ever heal straight?

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #306
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Hi Dogsroot,
Yes it heals well, but dislocations all take a terrible toll on tissues. My foot swells during the day up to about mid calf. I need old man pressure socks to help the blood flow out and back to the heart. You calf is considered by all respects your second heart as it moves a lot of blood back to your core. When I crashed I squeezed that calf a bit too. I had Garne SG10 boots, thank God, or as I folded over my toes in the crash I would have done so much trauma I'd have ended up in a external fixation with many more fractures. The foot will hurt off and on for years I suspect. Physio acupuncture and stretching every few weeks for a bit yet for tune ups.
I look forward in getting back on the bike. Just installed a K and N air filter on the F800GS, now oil change and trying a soft bag configuration for the harder trips.
Have a great weekend be safe.
N
Old 03-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #307
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Arriving after is easy but to witness is a different emotion.
This. Folks who enjoy a high degree of empathy really get hammered. As much as I love, love, love racing, seeing a bad shunt/fall is immediately horrifying. As an example, seeing Nicky Hayden go over the barrier at Aragon last year was brutal. That literally nauseated me.

Heal well, man.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #308
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
LOL, all heals with time. Blessings to you
Mike
Just takes more time the older you get - shoulder still bothers me 25 years after a wheelie off the back at 70mph on a Husky...

Definitely wish the OP the best, and hang in there, lots of us "mature" riders who don't plan on stopping any time soon. Glad you are ok and still want to do what you love.
everetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #309
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 256
Glad you made it

I just found this thread and watched the video Joe. i was not expecting that! I figured there would be some sort of crash but not over a cliff. really glad you are okay and nothing more serious happened. Thanks also for posting - a couple of years ago hurt my ankle in a mud induced low side at low speed which was minor and didn't want to discuss that ad nauseum (thankfully there was no video!) but appreciate you turning yours into a learning experience for all of us.

Sorry if I missed it but what turned out to be the problem with the bike? You showed the broken plug and mentioned that after installing the spare that it still didn't fix it. Did you find the cause?

Thanks again - Des
desmodab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #310
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
This is getting a bit surreal. I wonder who will play me in the movie version?
Stunt men...
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #311
DARKRYDER
NoNoob

Oddometer: 322
Spectacular crash, and the GoPro footage just puts you right there. I expected a lot worse outcome, you are one lucky man. My buddy and I were wondering why you didn't lay it down or toss the bike when it started getting away, but I guess it's easy to arm chair the incident. Glad you came out OK and holy cow those DRs are built like tanks! Must be all that heavy steel in them, I remember having one of those for a few weeks and I got rid of it because it felt way too heavy for its size.

Looking forward to meeting you at Mendo, be safe.
3 Kaboom's, 3 Dudes, and a Chick ride Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Montana
Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (UTBDR & COBDR)
DARKRYDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #312
Paul_R_Canada
Still Upright

Oddometer: 55
This is my first post here and I could not be happier for it to be in this thread and to say I'm delighted it ended well and you are ok

Thanks for posting, I'm sure the most of us that have ridden for any length of time have a few "holyshit" moments and your adventure was quite something and a good learning tool for me.

I've had the spectacular event of doing a flip off the back with bike squarely on top, a botched xcross jump having the bike leave completely and landing flat (that knocks the wind out of you) thankfully they were when I was much more pliable and luckily all offroad - it's just softer than pavement

I wanted finally to applauded you for looking out for your riding buddy and he for you - to me it's what riding is all about.

cheers to good health and staying upright.

Paul...
Paul_R_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #313
yazata
Contra os canhões...

Oddometer: 119
That was one hell of crash and experience. But I'm glad you are ok joefromsf .

Cheers.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #314
primate
vagabundus

Oddometer: 3,166
I had a get off in Mexico that got semi famous for a while on bike forums, nothing like yours, and it was all about fixation on a small rock. I was back riding the next day, w a bit more awaredness, then I saw an older guy tumble down a BIG hill the next day. I ride w a lot more thought these days. Get back on. Have fun.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #315
kion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
We were on TAT about the same time. We did have a hard time on that section, both on 650 GS's Met your buddy in Mom's cafe , Salina when we stopped for breakfast and he told us the story. Glad you're OK

DSC09341

and I think thats ur buddy
DSC09347
kion is online now   Reply With Quote