User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
smj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
KTM 990 front end wiggle

Never had a bike do this before. Ever. Between 30 and 50 mph, let go of the bars, the grips start to dance without me - front end shimmy that does not go away but gets worse the longer I leave the bars unattended. Granted, this is usually not something you'd do for long amounts of time, but it is very worrysome to me, no bike has ever done this before. This one only has a couple hundred miles on it. Hands on the grips damps it out, for now, but I am not a trusting soul when it comes to things like this. Back to the dealer for sure, but any ideas on what might be going on? Thanks! steve
Old 03-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Never had a bike do this before. Ever. Between 30 and 50 mph, let go of the bars, the grips start to dance without me - front end shimmy that does not go away but gets worse the longer I leave the bars unattended. Granted, this is usually not something you'd do for long amounts of time, but it is very worrysome to me, no bike has ever done this before. This one only has a couple hundred miles on it. Hands on the grips damps it out, for now, but I am not a trusting soul when it comes to things like this. Back to the dealer for sure, but any ideas on what might be going on? Thanks! steve
stock tire? bad tire, out of balance, lose triple?
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
Is the front tire new? What type of front tire is it? Is the front a Scorpion? I find that Scorpions on my bike do this almost every time. You will definitely notice it as the tire ages and starts to cup.

If you check your sag and find that it's about right, I really would not worry about a little wiggle on decel like that. Experiment with other front tires. I'm about to try a Heidenau K60 for the first time.

So, the solution is pretty simple. Set sag appropriately, find a front tire that you like . . . and don't ride around letting go of the bars.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,001
Scoprion shake:

Will get worse as the tire wears all mine have had it, next front on the stock rims I will try something else.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)

DirtyADV screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 10:13 AM
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #5
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 527
Scorpion front 101...if you ride mostly on road try the Continental Trail Attacks...they transform the bike...I ride with them off road too...hard pack, they do fine...loose staff, look for something else....
Old 03-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
TerraThumper
Meesta Fwank

Oddometer: 10
My OEM Scorps had a shake at about the same speed range. Not so much side to side shake, rather just felt like severe imbalance, yet the tire was re-checked for balance. I found the tire carcass was “out-of-round”. Easy to see when spinning it in the garage using a grease pencil. A new set of tires resolved the problem.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
smj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the input! My bike is new, the tires are stock. I now have a couple 100 miles on them, and the problem is not getting any better. This past weekend I let go of the bars while coming down a canyon, on a straight length, to ease a muscle or two... I could watch the shake go from zero, to hard enough to really worry me. Put the hands back on the bars, which took a bit of focus to actually catch them, and the shake damped right out. Still, I'll go back to the dealer and see what he might have to say as well. Sounds like the tire might be the problem, although I'll have the dealer at least check the triple and balance, and I'll also check the sag - though I think that is set right. I'll also look at the out-of-round possibility. Thanks again everyone! First time I've seen this.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
. . . and don't ride around letting go of the bars.
+2!!

I can't for the life of me figure out why you would let go of the bars?? I usaually have a death grip on mine. And the blisters to prove it.

As said, it is the tire, try a 606 or TKC for more road work.

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I'll also check the sag - though I think that is set right.

Probably too much pre-load on the back or the front springs are too soft for you. Tires don't cause this, a certain tire might make it feel worse, but you need to make sure you have the suspension setup right before we start blaming tires.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
woodchuckexc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Don't worry. Every one of these bikes does that with a stock tire.
woodchuckexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuckexc View Post
Don't worry. Every one of these bikes does that with a stock tire.

Ya - it depends on the tire. I have thought my front end is phuked then changed tires - all good..

Hmmmm
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,718
My stock tires were great. My Dunlops are not.

On the freeway, I recite the mantra:

Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down..

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-E View Post
+2!!
I can't for the life of me figure out why you would let go of the bars?? I usaually have a death grip on mine. And the blisters to prove it.

As said, it is the tire, try a 606 or TKC for more road work.
first, all you should ever need is a light grip on the bars, any more and your wasting energy.

i have 5 bikes in my garage and the ONLY one i can't let go of the bars on is my 990. the other bikes are all dirt bikes, without balanced tires, and i literally can stand up, let go of the bars, and coast down a hill doing a "christ the redeemer" pose and track as straight as an arrow. my 990 scares the shit out of me within 1/2 a sec of releasing my grip.

i took my 990 in because of this head shake issue and got the same "look" from the mech when i said, "let go of the bars." that worries me because there is absolutely no reason that a bike should not track straight unless something is out of balance. in fact, the centrifugal force acting upon the tires wants them to roll straight. it takes something bad to change that. i have seen video of a guy riding a 1800 goldwing hands free, he hits the bar with his hand to try and cause it to lose control. it wiggles for a sec, then straightens back out. all without any hands on the bars.

i have eliminated all other possible causes on my bike besides the tire. it is balanced, i have changed the suspension settings, i have tightened the steering head, checked the rear pre-load on the shock, everything. the only thing left is the tire.

currently i have a new tire being warrantied by KTM for my bike. should be here by tuesday...

just my $.02,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down..

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
smj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK - I took the bike back to the dealer today, it only has a couple 100 miles on it. He said that they have seen this before, on a couple of bikes. That Scorpion has had some tire problems and they change out the tire - end of problem. The dealer also said they thought the original problem was now fixed, but now and then one still shows up, maybe an older lot number. However, they will also check the rim, balance, we looked at sag, make sure everything is tight, and a couple other things. The mechanic looked the front tire over, and said it looked cupped already. It is supposed to snow 12 inches or so starting tomorrow night through Saturday, so I don't think I'll need the bike this weekend, should get it back early next week. Oh, yeah, no cost to me.

By the way, letting go of the bars... Wisdom or folly, probably up to each rider to determine that one! But I found a problem on a new bike, now it's getting fixed... For free. By the way, ~45 mph was the "sweet" spot, where the wiggle really built up strong - and no I did not have the brass to see just how bad it might get. My experience over the years is that if a bike has an instability, you fix it, at the least find out the souce... Might not sound like it, but I do try to avoid the pavement!

Thanks everyone, I'll let you know the end result.