ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #16
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Good to know they will true and fix this. I may bring mine in too. It looks to wobble, and I don't need the same outcome as big nasty.
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
Katoom990
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I have a 2011 and started to experience the wobble after the bike had 4,000 miles on the odo.

It seemed to get worse when I had luggage loaded in the back. Another 990 rider said that it was just the fact that the front end was "light". Not sure I buy that.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #18
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 892
9 times out of 10 its the need for more rear preload on the big KTM. Also could be bent wheel, bad bearings, forks too low in the trees, bad tire, etc...
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #19
jfink
Can't get there from here

Oddometer: 109
I have a 2011 990 Dakar which has wobbled from day one in the same speed range as yours, 35 to 45 mph. Took it to the dealer who said it was the back tire. I replaced the rear tire, twice. It now has 25,000 miles and wobbles like a duck. I have had the front tire "trued" and balanced, no joy.

I agree, you don't let go of the handlebars, but at this point I can still feel the wobble even when gripping the bars and when standing and not gripping tightly it will still wobble.

Right now I am riding with my buddy around South America. He also has 2011 990 Dakar with a wobble since day one in the same speed range. He also has changed his tires three times and that has not helped his wobble either. This is not a tire problem. There is just something just not right about these bikes. But, I do have other friends who have 2011 990 Dakars and theirs does NOT wobble.

I may try changing the level of the forks in the triple trees, new progressive springs in the forks, new stem bearings and the front wheel fix from Slavens Racing.

It bothers me that a bike with this heritage has this kind of issue.

2014 KTM 500 Exc, 2011 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar, 2004 Goldwing

The End of the World at the End of the World
jfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #20
smj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
jfink - thanks for that post on the front wheel fix from Slavens Racing. I'll make sure to check the rim strip on mine, and probably go with the rim tape as well. Best of luck to you on your trip, hope you enjoy South America. If you make it to Santa Cruz, Bolivia - watch out for the cobble stones in old town!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #21
dog'meat
Presidient

Oddometer: 168
Wooble too

My brand new 990 R wobbled from the very first minute I drove out the dealer...at exactly that low speed is when you feel it most ... But you can even feel it at faster speeds too sort of diminished because of the increased speed,,, Of course is the balancing of the wheel that is certainly shity done at the manufacture... I just took off the oem balance weights and stuffed a dose of Ride On and problem is absolutely gone ... Solid as a rock... you must keep tires at nominal air pressure for best results tho...
Mexico City, Xilitla, Aquismon, the Cave, the River and the Shangrila...
Mexico City, Cuetzalan, Nautla, Veracruz

dog'meat screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 11:54 PM
dog'meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #22
smj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was wondering if anyone had tried beads to correct the problem... Pull the lead and toss in some beads... Ride On sounds like a product I should introduce to my XR650R as well. I'd not heard of it before - Thanks!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #23
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfink View Post
I have a 2011 990 Dakar which has wobbled from day one in the same speed range as yours, 35 to 45 mph. Took it to the dealer who said it was the back tire. I replaced the rear tire, twice. It now has 25,000 miles and wobbles like a duck. I have had the front tire "trued" and balanced, no joy.

I agree, you don't let go of the handlebars, but at this point I can still feel the wobble even when gripping the bars and when standing and not gripping tightly it will still wobble.

Right now I am riding with my buddy around South America. He also has 2011 990 Dakar with a wobble since day one in the same speed range. He also has changed his tires three times and that has not helped his wobble either. This is not a tire problem. There is just something just not right about these bikes. But, I do have other friends who have 2011 990 Dakars and theirs does NOT wobble.

I may try changing the level of the forks in the triple trees, new progressive springs in the forks, new stem bearings and the front wheel fix from Slavens Racing.

It bothers me that a bike with this heritage has this kind of issue.
Hint, could be its not the tires. . Crank up the rear spring!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #24
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
Hint, could be its not the tires. . Crank up the rear spring!
that's funny. when i spoke to my KTM mech and he called the main office to see what they said, he was told " too much pre-load causes the problem."

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #25
BillyD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
+1 on the Conti Trail Attacks for mainly pavement riding.

I was getting about 700 miles out of the stock Scorpions on my normal commute. The rear would be toast and the front worn enough to induce the wobbles described in this thread. The first time, I replaced only the rear because the front didn't look too bad, but the wobble was still there. Replaced the front and all was good for about another 700 miles.

Then I started using the Conti Trail Attacks on pavement. Same roads. Same rider. Now I'm getting closer to 2,000 miles from a set of tire. Plus, the bike can smoke many other pure street bikes. With the 21" front wheel, the front end feels a bit "vague" on initial turn in when pushed hard, but I've gotten used to it.

KTM '08 690 RFR, '08 990Adv S (carbs), '07 640Adv, '03 540EXC, Ducati 851, Moto Guzzi 850 Lemans, Ercole & 2VT and Yamaha RD350.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #26
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
that's funny. when i spoke to my KTM mech and he called the main office to see what they said, he was told " too much pre-load causes the problem."

laramie
. KTM tech ought to know how to measure sag!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #27
jwrover
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
You cant have your cake

This is obviously a known issue throughout the 2009-2012 990 range. It has several "Suggested Fixes" none of which seem to be a universal fix.

Perhaps it has to do with how well it does off road? My 1200 GS was dead solid stable regardless of speed, but was a heavy pig on the dirt. My 990 has the famed 35-55 mph wiggle, but she is a velvet dream on dirt...

Maybe this is something that the Austrians engineered for. You can change tires, adjust suspension and get it to settle down, but it never goes away. Perhaps they (KTM) want us to be a little more attentive on the pavement and at low speeds, but push it hard on the dirt!
jwrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #28
Jonny955
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post

laramie
^YES! My 2012 has had the the wobble at the same speed range since new. I have cranked the REAR preload up to maximum because I like it that way and this has the effect of sharpening the steering (reduces rake angle & trail). My previous bike, a Buell Ulysses, also had this wobble but those bikes were famed for their steep rake and quick steering, even on standard suspension settings.

I know it happens and I'm not too bothered. I rarely ride for more than a few seconds with both hands off the bars!

Jon
Jonny955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #29
Irideeverything
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I experienced this wiggle last weekend on the way home from a ride. Heading home down an easy hill following a long slow climb I found myself carrying a lot of speed, so my mind says slow down and fix that collar on your coat while you have a second, and then WOW... As I pull just my left hand off the bars to Velcro my collar back on the front end goes to wiggling to the point of soiling myself. May have been going more than 45 that's for sure, but is scared the crap out of me, and like others I have 4 bikes and can ride even the dirt bikes with no hands without concern.

Glad it's not just me or my ride. I has older scorpion stock tires on it and they will be going this summer.

Does a steering stabilizer help with this at all?
Irideeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #30
smj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Don't know about a stabilizer... But I got a call from the dealer, who has had my bike over the weekend, and I am told that it is ready, no more front end instability, and I'll pick it up in about 2.5 hours. I'll post once more to detail what was done to the bike, and how it rides. I intend to find out on the way home.