Old 03-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #31
eebrumfi
eebrumfi

Oddometer: 51
Old 03-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #32
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,135
This has been a problem that was well documented in the OC several years before i joined.

If its a scorpion, get rid of it, its the tire.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #33
smj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Got the bike back, and it is perfect! The shop had an almost new tire that they thought was good, put it on, it was not. So they then put a brand new tire on the front, end of problem. So, 1 out of 3 scorpion front tires worked well with my bike. I was told all the shop did was swap tires... Could it have been the rim wrap???? Maybe. Maybe the third time they got lucky? Or is it the tire? Both? Never touched the preload. All other adjustments were nice and tight.

Put the bike up to 60 and let go till it got down to 35 mph - not a hint of instability. Did this several times, on different road surfaces.

If the tire was bad to begin with, I would imagin that once the tire gets some miles on it and starts to cup - it could be horrible.

Not trying to talk trash about scorpion tires, just repeating what I was told and summing things up!

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #34
eebrumfi
eebrumfi

I think I found your wiggle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJeUhHikQAQ
Old 03-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #35
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by eebrumfi View Post
that is exactly it.

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #36
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,469
Quote:
You got it- thanks for saving me the effort.

Beautiful road, but damn those cars scare me. The bus, the cars coming out of driveways. And side streets. Made the wobble seem safe.

Well done

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:28 AM   #37
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
+1 on the Conti Trail Attacks for mainly pavement riding.

I was getting about 700 miles out of the stock Scorpions on my normal commute. The rear would be toast and the front worn enough to induce the wobbles described in this thread. The first time, I replaced only the rear because the front didn't look too bad, but the wobble was still there. Replaced the front and all was good for about another 700 miles.

Then I started using the Conti Trail Attacks on pavement. Same roads. Same rider. Now I'm getting closer to 2,000 miles from a set of tire. Plus, the bike can smoke many other pure street bikes. With the 21" front wheel, the front end feels a bit "vague" on initial turn in when pushed hard, but I've gotten used to it.
They don't listen, they don't listen....tststs..
Old 03-16-2013, 04:35 AM   #38
Deviant666
Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Got the bike back, and it is perfect! The shop had an almost new tire that they thought was good, put it on, it was not. So they then put a brand new tire on the front, end of problem. So, 1 out of 3 scorpion front tires worked well with my bike. I was told all the shop did was swap tires... Could it have been the rim wrap???? Maybe. Maybe the third time they got lucky? Or is it the tire? Both? Never touched the preload. All other adjustments were nice and tight.

Put the bike up to 60 and let go till it got down to 35 mph - not a hint of instability. Did this several times, on different road surfaces.

If the tire was bad to begin with, I would imagin that once the tire gets some miles on it and starts to cup - it could be horrible.

Not trying to talk trash about scorpion tires, just repeating what I was told and summing things up!

Thanks everyone!
Why did you put a Scorpion again is beyond me....trail attacks are very good for hard packed off roading (due to our excellent suspension) on anything loose they are worthless but so are the Scorpions...when the bike started its production Trailattacks weren't available but see what's on the new 1190s from stock...KTM did it right this time....
Old 03-16-2013, 04:39 AM   #39
smj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You most certainly did! I suggest, change the tire and maybe check the rim strip! That is what fixed mine.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:42 AM   #40
smj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant666 View Post
Why did you put a Scorpion again is beyond me....trail attacks are very good for hard packed off roading (due to our excellent suspension) on anything loose they are worthless but so are the Scorpions...when the bike started its production Trailattacks weren't available but see what's on the new 1190s from stock...KTM did it right this time....
The current Scorpion on my bike was at zero cost to me, and the problem is gone - for now any way. Any other tire, I'd have had to pay for, which having just bought the bike, I just couldn't bring myself to do that. I wanted the dealer to make it right with me, they did, I can live with the Scorpion while I get to know the bike!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #41
Deviant666
Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The current Scorpion on my bike was at zero cost to me, and the problem is gone - for now any way. Any other tire, I'd have had to pay for, which having just bought the bike, I just couldn't bring myself to do that. I wanted the dealer to make it right with me, they did, I can live with the Scorpion while I get to know the bike!
But Ofc my bad...
Old 03-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #42
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
This has been a problem that was well documented in the OC several years before i joined.

If its a scorpion, get rid of it, its the tire.
Had the exact same issue last year on the way to the KTM rally people swore up and down it was suspension setting this that and the other. THe whole way there I tried more/ less preload on the front and the back played with clickers still same issue...

Got home took scorpion tire threw in garbage replaced with new conti up front problem solved

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825461
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #43
jimmy650
South Canol Racing Club

Oddometer: 387
My '07 developed a wobble between 30 and 50 mph shortly after I bought it. So I went to the dealer and he found the steering head bearings were loose. Adjusted and fixed... been great ever since.

Jim R
2006 Alcan5000 Winner
jimmy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #44
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,313
just got the front tire replaced under warranty and the bike is perfect now. no wiggle, or wobble, or shake. only thing that was changed was the tire. if your having this problem, take your bike in and make them switch the tire.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #45
eebrumfi
eebrumfi

Quote:
Great News,

My dealer just called and is replacing both tires with Conti Trail Attacks at no charge!!

Woo Hoo!!