ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #31
eebrumfi
eebrumfi
 
eebrumfi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Huntington, WV
Oddometer: 51
__________________
-2012 KTM 990 Adventure-
-A DRUNKEN MAN'S WORDS ARE A SOBER MAN'S THOUGHTS-
eebrumfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #32
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dusty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Bismarck
Oddometer: 1,135
This has been a problem that was well documented in the OC several years before i joined.

If its a scorpion, get rid of it, its the tire.
__________________
Originally Posted by d0gWateR
Vagrant, vagabond, transient, hobo, bum. But park a motorcycle next to him and PRESTO! He's an advrider!
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #33
smj OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
smj's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 159
Got the bike back, and it is perfect! The shop had an almost new tire that they thought was good, put it on, it was not. So they then put a brand new tire on the front, end of problem. So, 1 out of 3 scorpion front tires worked well with my bike. I was told all the shop did was swap tires... Could it have been the rim wrap???? Maybe. Maybe the third time they got lucky? Or is it the tire? Both? Never touched the preload. All other adjustments were nice and tight.

Put the bike up to 60 and let go till it got down to 35 mph - not a hint of instability. Did this several times, on different road surfaces.

If the tire was bad to begin with, I would imagin that once the tire gets some miles on it and starts to cup - it could be horrible.

Not trying to talk trash about scorpion tires, just repeating what I was told and summing things up!

Thanks everyone!
__________________
Faint is the heart that runs from a fight, but it's a sorry set of legs 'let a man take a beating.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #34
eebrumfi
eebrumfi
 
eebrumfi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Huntington, WV
Oddometer: 51
I think I found your wiggle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJeUhHikQAQ
__________________
-2012 KTM 990 Adventure-
-A DRUNKEN MAN'S WORDS ARE A SOBER MAN'S THOUGHTS-
eebrumfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #35
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!
 
laramie LC4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Tucson, Az
Oddometer: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by eebrumfi View Post
I think I found your wiggle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJeUhHikQAQ
that is exactly it.
__________________
DON'T TRUST CUT 7! HE IS A CROOK! ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #36
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius
 
FakeName's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by eebrumfi View Post
I think I found your wiggle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJeUhHikQAQ
You got it- thanks for saving me the effort.

Beautiful road, but damn those cars scare me. The bus, the cars coming out of driveways. And side streets. Made the wobble seem safe.

Well done
__________________
ADVdiscount Motorcycle Product Photography


2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:28 AM   #37
Deviant666
Present
 
Deviant666's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Earth
Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
+1 on the Conti Trail Attacks for mainly pavement riding.

I was getting about 700 miles out of the stock Scorpions on my normal commute. The rear would be toast and the front worn enough to induce the wobbles described in this thread. The first time, I replaced only the rear because the front didn't look too bad, but the wobble was still there. Replaced the front and all was good for about another 700 miles.

Then I started using the Conti Trail Attacks on pavement. Same roads. Same rider. Now I'm getting closer to 2,000 miles from a set of tire. Plus, the bike can smoke many other pure street bikes. With the 21" front wheel, the front end feels a bit "vague" on initial turn in when pushed hard, but I've gotten used to it.
They don't listen, they don't listen....tststs..
__________________
KTM 990 Adventure White 2009 R specced
KTM 640 Adventure 2005
Deviant666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:35 AM   #38
Deviant666
Present
 
Deviant666's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Earth
Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Got the bike back, and it is perfect! The shop had an almost new tire that they thought was good, put it on, it was not. So they then put a brand new tire on the front, end of problem. So, 1 out of 3 scorpion front tires worked well with my bike. I was told all the shop did was swap tires... Could it have been the rim wrap???? Maybe. Maybe the third time they got lucky? Or is it the tire? Both? Never touched the preload. All other adjustments were nice and tight.

Put the bike up to 60 and let go till it got down to 35 mph - not a hint of instability. Did this several times, on different road surfaces.

If the tire was bad to begin with, I would imagin that once the tire gets some miles on it and starts to cup - it could be horrible.

Not trying to talk trash about scorpion tires, just repeating what I was told and summing things up!

Thanks everyone!
Why did you put a Scorpion again is beyond me....trail attacks are very good for hard packed off roading (due to our excellent suspension) on anything loose they are worthless but so are the Scorpions...when the bike started its production Trailattacks weren't available but see what's on the new 1190s from stock...KTM did it right this time....
__________________
KTM 990 Adventure White 2009 R specced
KTM 640 Adventure 2005
Deviant666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:39 AM   #39
smj OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
smj's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by eebrumfi View Post
I think I found your wiggle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJeUhHikQAQ
You most certainly did! I suggest, change the tire and maybe check the rim strip! That is what fixed mine.
__________________
Faint is the heart that runs from a fight, but it's a sorry set of legs 'let a man take a beating.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:42 AM   #40
smj OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
smj's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant666 View Post
Why did you put a Scorpion again is beyond me....trail attacks are very good for hard packed off roading (due to our excellent suspension) on anything loose they are worthless but so are the Scorpions...when the bike started its production Trailattacks weren't available but see what's on the new 1190s from stock...KTM did it right this time....
The current Scorpion on my bike was at zero cost to me, and the problem is gone - for now any way. Any other tire, I'd have had to pay for, which having just bought the bike, I just couldn't bring myself to do that. I wanted the dealer to make it right with me, they did, I can live with the Scorpion while I get to know the bike!
__________________
Faint is the heart that runs from a fight, but it's a sorry set of legs 'let a man take a beating.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #41
Deviant666
Present
 
Deviant666's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Earth
Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The current Scorpion on my bike was at zero cost to me, and the problem is gone - for now any way. Any other tire, I'd have had to pay for, which having just bought the bike, I just couldn't bring myself to do that. I wanted the dealer to make it right with me, they did, I can live with the Scorpion while I get to know the bike!
But Ofc my bad...
__________________
KTM 990 Adventure White 2009 R specced
KTM 640 Adventure 2005
Deviant666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #42
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
This has been a problem that was well documented in the OC several years before i joined.

If its a scorpion, get rid of it, its the tire.
Had the exact same issue last year on the way to the KTM rally people swore up and down it was suspension setting this that and the other. THe whole way there I tried more/ less preload on the front and the back played with clickers still same issue...

Got home took scorpion tire threw in garbage replaced with new conti up front problem solved


http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825461
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #43
jimmy650
South Canol Racing Club
 
jimmy650's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 387
My '07 developed a wobble between 30 and 50 mph shortly after I bought it. So I went to the dealer and he found the steering head bearings were loose. Adjusted and fixed... been great ever since.

Jim R
__________________
Jim R.
Engineer @ Zero Motorcycles
'07 KTM 990 Adv
2006 Alcan5000 Winner
jimmy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #44
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!
 
laramie LC4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Tucson, Az
Oddometer: 2,313
just got the front tire replaced under warranty and the bike is perfect now. no wiggle, or wobble, or shake. only thing that was changed was the tire. if your having this problem, take your bike in and make them switch the tire.

laramie
__________________
DON'T TRUST CUT 7! HE IS A CROOK! ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #45
eebrumfi
eebrumfi
 
eebrumfi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Huntington, WV
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by eebrumfi View Post
I think I found your wiggle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJeUhHikQAQ
Great News,

My dealer just called and is replacing both tires with Conti Trail Attacks at no charge!!

Woo Hoo!!
__________________
-2012 KTM 990 Adventure-
-A DRUNKEN MAN'S WORDS ARE A SOBER MAN'S THOUGHTS-
eebrumfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014