User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
SpeedyR OP
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 747
Super Enduro wheel and fork fitment?

Spent the weekend going over my semi new to me Super Enduro. Changed the oil, checked all the fluids, filters, screens, etc. Time for a new air filter, and put on some new tires. In putting the front wheel back on the bike, I am having some issues with lining up the forks and the axle.

I followed these directions in reinstalling the front wheel:

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Suspensio...orkleg_rr.html

But maybe it's that mine has the Zip Ty racing front axle pull on it, but I torque the axle nut to the 60nM and there's a significant gap on the non brake rotor side between the wheel spacer and the fork leg lower.

I tried to pull the axle out a bit more on the right side (as you are sitting on the bike) and tighen the pinch bolts then the axle, but on my 450 I loosen both the pinch bolt sides and push down on the front end a few times to center everything and then tighten the pinch bolts, but as soon as I loosen the right side pinch bolts, it springs back out to the end of the axle and leaves me the gap again...

am I missing something or did I somehow put the axle or spacers back in wrong? or are my forks misaligned from the triples (I haven't moved the triple clamps or anything)?

I'll try to get a photo in the morning but i'm stumped.

BTW I'm trying a new front tire, the Pirelli Scorpion SX tire. Friend had a couple of the 90/100-21 fronts around and the carcass was nice and stiff, the knobs seemed to have good spacing and shape, so I thought I'd give it a try. I love the MXMS that I had on the front but i was a bit concerned with it on the street (It's DOT but just didn't have the tread pattern to give you confidence on the pavement).
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
Spent the weekend going over my semi new to me Super Enduro. Changed the oil, checked all the fluids, filters, screens, etc. Time for a new air filter, and put on some new tires. In putting the front wheel back on the bike, I am having some issues with lining up the forks and the axle.

I followed these directions in reinstalling the front wheel:

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Suspensio...orkleg_rr.html

But maybe it's that mine has the Zip Ty racing front axle pull on it, but I torque the axle nut to the 60nM and there's a significant gap on the non brake rotor side between the wheel spacer and the fork leg lower.

I tried to pull the axle out a bit more on the right side (as you are sitting on the bike) and tighen the pinch bolts then the axle, but on my 450 I loosen both the pinch bolt sides and push down on the front end a few times to center everything and then tighten the pinch bolts, but as soon as I loosen the right side pinch bolts, it springs back out to the end of the axle and leaves me the gap again...

am I missing something or did I somehow put the axle or spacers back in wrong? or are my forks misaligned from the triples (I haven't moved the triple clamps or anything)?

I'll try to get a photo in the morning but i'm stumped.

BTW I'm trying a new front tire, the Pirelli Scorpion SX tire. Friend had a couple of the 90/100-21 fronts around and the carcass was nice and stiff, the knobs seemed to have good spacing and shape, so I thought I'd give it a try. I love the MXMS that I had on the front but i was a bit concerned with it on the street (It's DOT but just didn't have the tread pattern to give you confidence on the pavement).
The spacers are the same on both sides. The axle has a flange which wakes contact with the spacer on the non-rotor side and this is what causes what you wre thinking is a gap. It's supposed to be there.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 10,010
There is a step in the axle. The step is pulled tight to the wheel spacer on that side when you tighten the axle nut. Tighten those pich bolts on the right side last. Before doing so, compress the forks a few times and this forces the the fork legs to go parallel. Then tighten the right side pinch bolts.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
SpeedyR OP
SE in the SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
There is a step in the axle. The step is pulled tight to the wheel spacer on that side when you tighten the axle nut. Tighten those pich bolts on the right side last. Before doing so, compress the forks a few times and this forces the the fork legs to go parallel. Then tighten the right side pinch bolts.
I had been doing something similar but was just alarmed with the gap on the right side between the spacer in the wheel and the inside of the fork leg.

I'll double check it tonight and see where that "step" is located. I know it's in there, but for some reason I'm thinking the step ends up being more towards the center instead of being in line with the inside of the fork lower thus creating the gap between the wheel spacer and the fork lower clamp.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
SpeedyR OP
SE in the SE

just to make sure i've got it right, headed out for a weekend overnight trip on the bike and would hate to have something go wrong with the front end..

so here are a few photos. You can see the gap in between the (dirty) spacer and the fork lower leg with the greased axle. I keep thinking that's not right and the spacer should be flush with the fork leg.

if you look at this photo, you can see where the end of the axle is recessed just a bit into the fork lower leg. It has the zip Ty racing axle pull, which sometimes keeps the axle from fitting flush maybe? I was kind of thinking this was what might have created the "space" for the gap between the wheel spacer and the inside of the fork leg:

thoughts? or just "roll with it" with the gap in the axle? maybe I"m overanalyzing things but since it's the first time I've had the wheels off,
Old 03-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

The gap you have between the wheel spacer and the bottom of the fork leg (about 5mm or so) is correct, but there seems to be a little (.5mm maybe?) gap between the end of the axle step and the spacer. That should NOT be there. The step in the axle should seat against the wheel spacer. that shot of the end of the axle with it being slightly recessed into the bottom of the fork looks correct though.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Old 03-11-2013, 02:10 AM   #7
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Loosen the two 10mm headed screws in the disc side fork bottom.

Tighten the 27mm nut on the axle.

Tighten the two 10mm headed screws in the disc side fork bottom.

Loosen the two 10mm headed screws in the non disc side fork bottom.

Make sure the axle can slide from side to side in the forks, insert a screwdriver into the gap to widen it a little if required.

Bounce the front of the bike to allow the axle to find its correct position.

Without moving the axle in the forks, tighten the two 10mm headed screws in the non disc side fork bottom.

Failure to do it in this order will result in a loose wheel or binding forks.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 10,010
Here's a closeup pic of mine. Notice it looks like the larger diameter of the axle isn't tight against the spacer. There is a chamfer that makes it look this way.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Ah, so if it's the chamfer then that wheel and axle is mounted correctly.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50