User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
junglerob OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Husky TR650 Terra - long road sections?

This being my first post I'd best say hello.... Hi!

I'm Rob, from Australia and ride a KTM 300 EXC mostly. I'm very interested in getting a second bike for adventure riding and have narrowed down my selection to the Husky TR650 Terra.

From the reviews and ride reports it sounds like it is the perfect step over to adventure riding for me being a bit more enduro oriented than some of the other similar bikes (Sertao, KLR, DR, etc.)

My question though, to people who own a TR650 is how much time/distance are you comfortable spending in the saddle in a day on open road sections of a long trip?

Is there a decent windscreen on the market yet? Like the ones Rally Raid make for the Katoom 690 Enduro.

I have no doubt in it's off road capability, just the longer road sections is a concern for me. Hoping I don't have much to worry about.

Thanks.
Rob
junglerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #2
Chris 690R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglerob View Post
This being my first post I'd best say hello.... Hi!

I'm Rob, from Australia and ride a KTM 300 EXC mostly. I'm very interested in getting a second bike for adventure riding and have narrowed down my selection to the Husky TR650 Terra.

From the reviews and ride reports it sounds like it is the perfect step over to adventure riding for me being a bit more enduro oriented than some of the other similar bikes (Sertao, KLR, DR, etc.)

My question though, to people who own a TR650 is how much time/distance are you comfortable spending in the saddle in a day on open road sections of a long trip?

Is there a decent windscreen on the market yet? Like the ones Rally Raid make for the Katoom 690 Enduro.

I have no doubt in it's off road capability, just the longer road sections is a concern for me. Hoping I don't have much to worry about.

Thanks.
Rob
Get a 690!
Chris 690R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,712
I've been 8 hours in the saddle.....no problem. The motor is sooooo smooth, it makes it very non-fatiguing for long rides. Simply no vibes to be concerned with. And the stock seat is surprisingly comfortably. Just is....not sure why.

Wind protection is the only thing unresolved for me. It has extremely clean air passing by in stock form (essentially no helmet noise). I've not seen decent aftermarket options yet, specifically for the TR650 that offer complete (quiet) protection. So, I have been trying different home-made solutions. Still sorting it out, but liking no screen at all the best up to this point.

The Terra is a very fun bike to ride. Go find a test ride and judge for yourself.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
wagonpilot
Freeeeze

Oddometer: 1,050
I find mine very capable on the road. comfy ergos for me, and buttery smooth. turns about 4200 rpms at 65 mph... small windscreen off my old sport bike keeps wind off chest.
wagonpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
junglerob OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 690R View Post
Get a 690!
Chris,

The 690 is my dream machine! Only issue is I'm on my P's for another year so can't get one unless I can somehow work around the LAMS issue.

Any suggestions?

I may get something cheaper but reliable to see me through until then.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 03-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
junglerob OP
n00b

Thanks HighFive and wagonpilot.

Your comments are similar to the reviews, which is good.

I'll get my leg over one and see how they go.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
junglerob OP
n00b

KTM 690 Rally Replica is an approved bike.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:23 AM   #8
chaser of the chook
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Husky

Hi Rob,
I ride a BMW xchallenge & have just done 450kms of riding with a new Terra on test. My take is that its a great Dualsporter.I have just clicked up 40,000k of dualsport riding on the XC & wouldn,t hesitate doing the same on a Terra. Its motor is smoother ,it has a good low seat hight & the great fuel consumption. I think lots of extras will become available in the future.I would add a safari tank when it comes out which should give a 550k+ fuel range.See dualsportaustralia.com.au Gav
chaser of the chook is offline   Reply With Quote