ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
pdxmotorhead OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Arg.. Doing water pump repair...

Ok I decided to do a full winter service, so I bought he CJ kit and dove in.
I had a fair amount of trouble removing the front header pipe. Now I cant get the darn thing back on. Anybody else had trouble getting the front pipe on and off. It acts like the heat shield is in the way. I sat there quite a while just trying variations of threading the thing in. The area of interference is between the frame and engine near the clutch cover.

Also the carbon ring on that pipe was partially missing. The section of the pipe that goes into the ring had a fair amount of corrosion.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,537
remove the heat shield, replace the carbon gasket
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
remove the heat shield
+1 and even after this you'll have to experiment a little to figure out the correct way.

Also take care not to strip the heads holding the heat shield on. the bolts tend to seize into the header and they are A2-70 stainless. If you do, you'll have to extract them. Fastenal on SE Taylor sells 10.9 equivalent in zinc and use some anti-seize.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
pdxmotorhead OP
Studly Adventurer

I was afraid of that, I tried to get the heat shield bolts out (Lightly,,, ) none of them want to turn. Guess I'll give them a soak with some pb or something and try again..

Thought I had this knocked,,, it came apart easy and everything went right back together easy till the pipe.. I'm tempted to have a welder friend add a band junction in that pipe.

Thanks ,, !!

Dave
Old 03-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
I was afraid of that, I tried to get the heat shield bolts out (Lightly,,, ) none of them want to turn. Guess I'll give them a soak with some pb or something and try again..

Thought I had this knocked,,, it came apart easy and everything went right back together easy till the pipe.. I'm tempted to have a welder friend add a band junction in that pipe.

Thanks ,, !!

Dave
The pipe slips out easily without the shield on. I'd find a replacement for the heat shield rather than messing with the pipe. The best solutions move the shield off of the pipe.

Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
CamelBill
Ride It!

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
The pipe slips out easily without the shield on. I'd find a replacement for the heat shield rather than messing with the pipe. The best solutions move the shield off of the pipe.

Very Trick! I want. How would one acquire such a sweet piece? Looking forward to meeting you on the MO SB Ride . . .
CO Single Track RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post24875020
CamelBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
pdxmotorhead OP
Studly Adventurer

Yes where did that come from ! Normally I wouldn't be in that farkle zone but this pipe has me pissed..

Freeking shop not open today and we are getting the first blue sky break of spring...

Guess I'll have to finish the canisterectomy off correctly,, (PO had someone do it and they re-routed all the hoses in a bizarre fashion.. )

Cheers
Dave
Old 03-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelBill View Post
Very Trick! I want. How would one acquire such a sweet piece? Looking forward to meeting you on the MO SB Ride . . .
It's been "in development" . . . for a year or more. Any solution like this works very well. You just get the shield off of the pipe so that the shield does not act as a heat sink. Carbon fiber works well as long as it does not directly touch something like a header. CF can handle very high temps, so you just need an epoxy that can take it. Many out there can take temps up to 400 degrees, so you can build a heat shield out of the stuff as long as you keep it off the pipe. Mine's been on my bike for some time without any problems at all.

The problem I ran into with making this a production part is that the fitment is different between the 950 and the 990. Also, the screws that attach it to the clutch cover will eventually crush the epoxy. I think my next iteration of the part will be to just make it a bit more straight and flat and ziptie it to the crashbar. But for now, it's in development.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
pdxmotorhead OP
Studly Adventurer

Sounds like a job for stainless zip ties.

I've used them for pipe guards before..

To keep from crushing the carbon, just insert a bushing in the carbon.. ?

Cheers
Dave
Old 03-05-2013, 04:17 AM   #10
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,107
Is this on a 990? Never had any problem getting the front pipe in and out on the 950 ...well some wiggeling and the correct angle is needed but not that hard.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #11
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Riceless has a video on YouTube and he shows how to get the pipe in and out without problems. Just do a search for KTM water pump rebuild. Of course, he has the shield off. :)
Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #12
pdxmotorhead OP
Studly Adventurer

Yep the shield is definitely the problem, it came out harder than I expected, now the angle of the thing wont pop back past the engine. And those little screws are not coming out without a fight.. Going to the tool store today to buy a socket allen wrench set.. My current ones are ball style and are not going to do the job... Oh well I got everything else buttoned up last night,, get this detail fixed and its time to ride it..

Dave
Old 03-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #13
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
+1 and even after this you'll have to experiment a little to figure out the correct way.

Also take care not to strip the heads holding the heat shield on. the bolts tend to seize into the header and they are A2-70 stainless. If you do, you'll have to extract them. Fastenal on SE Taylor sells 10.9 equivalent in zinc and use some anti-seize.
This^^^^

My bolts are now broken inside the SS nuts welded to the header.
I could extract them,....but I just sold my fancy carbon heat guard from CJ and said F-it.
Heat guard is not really needed right there IMO
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
This^^^^

My bolts are now broken inside the SS nuts welded to the header.
I could extract them,....but I just sold my fancy carbon heat guard from CJ and said F-it.
Heat guard is not really needed right there IMO

Hmmmm. I've melted non-cotton pants and burned cotton pants WITH the stock heat shield in place. That was why I started down the path of creating a CF shield that didn't touch the pipe.