Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
novaboy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Just Giv'r USA Tour

Inmates,

OK, here is the beginning of a story of how a simple 10 day trip to Newfoundland and Labrador has turned to a month long wander of two Canucks exploring their neighbours land and culture south of the border in the good ol' US of A..........accompanied by a camera man.

Last fall I was making plans to head to Labrador on the TLH and then across the island of Newfoundland back to my hometown of St. John's from Saint John, New Brunswick. Simple, relatively easy, right? Well I mention this to my good friend Pete, who by the way doesn't ride anymore, he doesn't even have a motorcycle license. Pete thinks this is great idea and unbeknownst to me mentions this to our other friend Greg, who just happens to own Hemmings House Pictures, a film/TV production company. Before long I find myself in the middle of my own "Long Way Round" or "Mondo Enduro" More of a Mondo Enduro I think, neither one of us is a famous actor, and we won't be getting free bikes from BMW, with a fully equipped entourage.

Fast forward a few months and the plan has now changed to a cross country trip thru the USA. Two middle-aged, family guys trying to relive their lost youth and find some adventure along the way. Since both of us have jobs, families, and do not have the luxury of taking an entire month off, we are gonna do 2 to 3 weeks at a time, then come back and finish up later.

Anyway, Greg, the producer, aka media mogul seems to think this would make an interesting TV show, 13, 30min episodes. Personally I do not see why anyone would want to tune in and see my sorry ass on the TV, but what do I know, I'm just a pilot. Maybe a TV station in South America or India might pick it up and I'll be spared the embarrassment of having my friends, or you f#@kers of seeing it. Although the more I think of it, I never thought anyone would want to watch a bunch of bitchy, whiny, rich women from Beverly Hills either. My wife sure enjoys it.

The plan is to ship the bikes (most likely KLR 650's) to San Diego and start out there in Mid to late August, so we can hit the Burning Man festival in Nevada, then head a little further north before venturing southeast, eventually making our way to New Orleans. In the spring of 2014 we plan to pick it up again and head for Key West, and then up the east coast thru the Appalachians to eventually finish in Halifax, Nova Scotia or St. John's NF.

Once this trip is all confirmed and officially a go, I'll be starting a RR, and be updating as we go along.

If it all falls apart, f@#k it, I'll go back to what my original plan was, and head for The Labrador and the The Rock.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos

novaboy screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 02:14 AM
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
novaboy OP
Studly Adventurer

Planning Help Wanted

Hey folks,

Looking for some help with route planning and things to see. We want to stay away from the usual touristy stuff in America, and go see some of the lesser known scenic and oddball places. Basically we are trying to get a Canadians perspective of the different views, culture and the American psyche as we travel from west to east.

What we won't be doing is making fun of or mocking anyone, it won't be "Talking to Americans" segment, like what was on CBC's This Hour has 22 minutes. It will be purely objectionable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
cberry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
If you head due East from San Diego in August it will be a brutal ride with the summer heat. You can stay cool along the coast, North to SFO, then East. But, a better plan might be to reverse my ride of last year, which appears on page 3 of this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359662

You might even consider heading East to catch the track in AZ or NM and then go North. The thread may give you insight into other places to go, or, maybe NOT to go. PM if I can offer any direct help.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
'06/'07....What a year it was! 49 States, 5 Provinces, AND New Zealand, North and South Island
cberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
novaboy OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks CBerry, the initial plan is head north along the coast to San Fran, then cut into northern Nevada to Black Rock City, then to Oregon and Idaho before heading south towards the Grand Canyon, then east to Texas and New Orleans.