Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #31
buzybraza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
On average, about 35-36 on a 6/2004 build Adventure 950. I hear that you can get 45 on long trips with consistent normal road speeds. I say "hear" because I've not seen that myself. Regardless, don't really care anymore. I've drunk the Kool-aid, and I'm happy.
I have ridden my 2008 SE from brand new stock, then with H2W setup and now with no airbox (itg filter) and factory pro needles and 175 mains. I have measured my fuel consumption with a stock odometer, then a stock odometer set to 19 inch wheel (even though it's always been the 21 inch wheel down there) as well as with a gps. My fuel consumption has never varied much, always between 32 to 36 mpg. I must ride like an idiot. I have grown to be quite proud of it!

Edit: Gearing has also been changed from stock (17-45) to 16-45, then to 16-44 and now to 16-42. I promise I will never stop tinkering!!!
Every time I changed carburation setup or gearing I expected a dramatic change in fuel consumption and I have always been disappointed!

buzybraza screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 06:59 AM
buzybraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #32
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 853
Not sure who this Baja Phil character is, but I'm not sure I'd want to meet him...sounds like a dork.

Be careful what you ask for with the KTM, she can be a cruel mistress, especially one ugly and set up for a post-nuclear rampage.

Sometimes they even work better without some of the parts...

Story here if interested...

Totally different animal than the GSA. You'll find out soon enough.
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #33
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
I thought the GSA was scary off road (i rented one once) - the 990 treats you well and the suspension is just plain awesome, even two up. It's easier to pick up off the ground too. ....well, easy is a relevant term I guess.

2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #34
Beefeater Steve OP
Banned

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
Not sure who this Baja Phil character is, but I'm not sure I'd want to meet him...sounds like a dork.

Be careful what you ask for with the KTM, she can be a cruel mistress, especially one ugly and set up for a post-nuclear rampage.

Sometimes they even work better without some of the parts...

Story here if interested...

Totally different animal than the GSA. You'll find out soon enough.

Baja Phil!

I salute you.

Literally, I am reading your post and saluting to your badassness.

See you Thursday--I'll be the judge of how cruel this mistress is. I'm gonna ride it from 0-45, and then slow down a little, then grab some tacos and just look at it for a while.
Beefeater Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #35
Iflylo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Steve get on a KTM and go for a ride.The KTM for me is far more thrilling than my previous GSA.The BMW's are good bikes ,but I have learnt with bikes it is better to buy with your heart and not your head.
Iflylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #36
rattis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Talking Do it

Take the plunge into the Orange crush.
I did it after 30 min riding in wintery Sweden.
Going , hopefully, to Argentina I was originally planning on a KLR, or a DRZ or a super Ten.
Somehow I ended up with a 2007 990 Adv from an inmate.
The drag is that the bike is in California and I am in Sweden, but in 5 weeks we'll unite!
Unfaithful to my trusted GSA
Old 03-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #37
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
So, what's the verdict ?

By now the test ride has most likely happened.

We are all waiting to see if you could tell the difference
between Bavarian beer and Austrian schnapps

It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #38
Beefeater Steve OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
By now the test ride has most likely happened.

We are all waiting to see if you could tell the difference
between Bavarian beer and Austrian schnapps

Ha. I wish.

My bad luck continues. The dealer 30 miles from me quoted a price on a new 990...I was gonna go down, ride it, possibly buy it since the $12,500 is still $3-4k less than what I was going to spend on the used GSA.

Anyway, the dealer never sent me the paperwork w an OTD price so I called again the next day (yesterday), and this joker salesman told me the price was $500 more now because 2-3 people had expressed an interest.

"You're telling me I have to pay more because you didn't send me the paperwork yesterday and I had to call back today and remind you?"

"Yes." He said, unapologetically.

I talked to the GM and he was "deeply sorry" and wanted to make up for it. At this point, I don't want to do business with them at all.

If you have a spare minute, give Edge Powersports in Draper UT some appropriate feedback on google.

Baja Phil (inmate: pilo) should have his battery tomorrow so I'll ride his 06 in the meantime. It's not EFI and there will be a difference but at least I can get a feel for that Austrian jazz.

Lastly, I found a used 2011 Dakar w panniers, FMF pipe, etc. 700 miles. $12,500. Again, saves me $3k over the GSA and it's newer.

Anyone want to weigh in on that Dakar deal? Worth the price?
Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #39
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefeater Steve View Post
Ha. I wish.

Anyway, the dealer never sent me the paperwork w an OTD price so I called again the next day (yesterday), and this joker salesman told me the price was $500 more now because 2-3 people had expressed an interest.

"You're telling me I have to pay more because you didn't send me the paperwork yesterday and I had to call back today and remind you?"

"Yes." He said, unapologetically.

I talked to the GM and he was "deeply sorry" and wanted to make up for it. At this point, I don't want to do business with them at all.

If you have a spare minute, give Edge Powersports in Draper UT some appropriate feedback on google.

Baja Phil (inmate: pilo) should have his battery tomorrow so I'll ride his 06 in the meantime. It's not EFI and there will be a difference but at least I can get a feel for that Austrian jazz.

Lastly, I found a used 2011 Dakar w panniers, FMF pipe, etc. 700 miles. $12,500. Again, saves me $3k over the GSA and it's newer.

Anyone want to weigh in on that Dakar deal? Worth the price?

The used 2011 Dakar has seven hundred miles ? Or is that seven thousand ?
If it is the former, it is basically a new bike with an engine which has been
broken in so you can ride it hard immediately.

The panniers and exhaust are stuff you'd probably want to add to a new bike
anyway, and you'd spend at least $1500 on panniers ( and the racks ) and exhaust,
( probably over $2000, depending on the panniers and luggage ) so as long as they
are gear you find acceptable that makes the deal pretty decent. The only thing missing
is a warranty, and only you can decide whether you are comfortable with that aspect.

If you ride the 950 and like it, AND you want the ABS and the lower seat height of the
Dakar version, I'd offer the seller $12,000 and if the offer is accepted I would buy the bike.
But that's just what I'd do. I am not a fan of excessive rumination and when I am ready to
make a decision I do it ASAP.

Regarding how much you "save" vs. buying a GSA, I think this misses the point. It's best to
buy the bike you really like and if the GSA is that bike that's what you should buy. Me, I
want something different than a GSA offers and I'd pay MORE for a 990 Adventure than
a GSA because to me it is a FAR more desirable bike. Of course the desirability is subjective.
But one thing is not subjective, and that is how very different a 990 Adventure is from a GSA.
The person who prefers one most likely won't have much interest in the other. You need to ride
Baja Phil's bike and within five minutes you should know which bike is the one for you,
especially if you give it wide open throttle in third gear, at which time you'd better be
hanging on to the handlebars :-)

==========================

That's unacceptable behavior on the part of the Edge Powersports salesman.
The difference in money for them is not enough to make up for the bad
public relations which will result. There's only one way to "make up for it"
and that is for them to honor the price they originally quoted you
If they stick to their "new" higher price their claim of wanting
to "make up for it" is just talk, and we all know what that's
worth ( nothing ).

However, I think you are wise to avoid them at this point because
who knows what else they will pull in the future if this is how they operate.

Your info which appears in the left margin indicates you are in or near Las Vegas.
If that is the case, have you checked with Carter Powersports, the Las Vegas KTM
dealer ? I've done business with them and they were great to deal with, and went
way out of their way to make things easier for me, and they did virtually every single
thing they promised to do even when they could have flaked on a few things and
gotten away with it. I cannot say enough about how well I was treated by those Carter
Powersports folks. I wish they were my local dealer.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 12:12 PM
Old 03-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #40
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Call that dealer back, and say that if he fires the guy that tried to extort $500 more out of you, you'll buy it. Fucking crooks. Had a guy do that with a new van I bought for my mother, right before I went to pick it up, they called me and said it was $1000 more for something they forgot to add on the contract (signed contract). I said let me talk to the GM (a salesman had called me). He didn't want me to talk to the GM. They gave me the original price. I should have told them to stick it up their ass.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #41
Beefeater Steve OP
Banned

Quote:
The used 2011 Dakar has seven hundred miles ? Or is that seven thousand ?
If it is the former, it is basically a new bike with an engine which has been
broken in so you can ride it hard immediately.

The panniers and exhaust are stuff you'd probably want to add to a new bike
anyway, and you'd spend at least $1500 on panniers ( and the racks ) and exhaust,
( probably over $2000, depending on the panniers and luggage ) so as long as they
are gear you find acceptable that makes the deal pretty decent. The only thing missing
is a warranty, and only you can decide whether you are comfortable with that aspect.

If you ride the 950 and like it, AND you want the ABS and the lower seat height of the
Dakar version, I'd offer the seller $12,000 and if the offer is accepted I would buy the bike.
But that's just what I'd do. I am not a fan of excessive rumination and when I am ready to
make a decision I do it ASAP.

Regarding how much you "save" vs. buying a GSA, I think this misses the point. It's best to
buy the bike you really like and if the GSA is that bike that's what you should buy. Me, I
want something different than a GSA offers and I'd pay MORE for a 990 Adventure than
a GSA because to me it is a FAR more desirable bike. Of course the desirability is subjective.
But one thing is not subjective, and that is how very different a 990 Adventure is from a GSA.
The person who prefers one most likely won't have much interest in the other. You need to ride
Baja Phil's bike and within five minutes you should know which bike is the one for you,
especially if you give it wide open throttle in third gear, at which time you'd better be
hanging on to the handlebars :-)

That's unacceptable behavior on the part of the Edge Powersports salesman.
The difference in money for them is not enough to make up for the bad
public relations which will result. There's only one way to "make up for it"
and that is for them to honor the price they originally quoted you
If they stick to their "new" higher price their claim of wanting
to "make up for it" is just talk, and we all know what that's
worth ( nothing ).

However, I think you are wise to avoid them at this point because
who knows what else they will pull in the future if this is how they operate.

Your info which appears in the left margin indicates you are in or near Las Vegas.
If that is the case, have you checked with Carter Powersports, the Las Vegas KTM
dealer ? I've done business with them and they were great to deal with, and went
way out of their way to make things easier for me, and they did virtually every single
thing they promised to do even when they could have flaked on a few things and
gotten away with it. I cannot say enough about how well I was treated by those Carter
Powersports folks. I wish they were my local dealer.

Allow me to retort:

*700 miles. Not 7,000. It's a like-new bike. I'll post pics in a few minutes.

*Agreed on the extras--they make sense financially and I would add them anyway. I've toyed with the idea of selling the stock KTM panniers and getting some TraX boxes because I think they look great. But we'll see.

*Agreed. I'm waiting on Baja Phil right now (don't tell him, though--I don't want him to feel pressured). I won't even go to Edge to test ride the bike.

*Regarding the BMW v KTM v Savings, I don't want anyone to misunderstand me. I LOVE the GSA and if I could replicate the deal I got screwed out of, I'd do it in a second. However, it's spring, I got a baby coming any day, and I'd like to get something in the garage soon. The dealer who sold the bike out from under me (ebay) said his wholesale buyer is looking for another bike.

SO, here's my take (assuming I like Phil's KTM--tomorrow?): I'll see if I can get the Dakar shipped to me for ~$12,750 OTD (not tax). I'll wait to title it until I hear from the other dealer. It's not like I'm settling with the KTM--it might really blow my skirt up tomorrow and I'm hoping it does.

But, the GSA was a 2011, 7k miles, all 3 metal panniers, BMW Nav IV, like new, for $15,500. My local dealer has one just like this, selling for $18K without the Nav. If I can get THAT kind of deal again, I'll do it again--and maybe resell it, who knows?

Aside: I'm kind of a buy/sell whore. I'll normally find 2-3 bikes that I KNOW are good deals when I'm shopping for one. At times, I resell them and make $1,500-3K each, use that to mitigate the price of the other bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Call that dealer back, and say that if he fires the guy that tried to extort $500 more out of you, you'll buy it. Fucking crooks. Had a guy do that with a new van I bought for my mother, right before I went to pick it up, they called me and said it was $1000 more for something they forgot to add on the contract (signed contract). I said let me talk to the GM (a salesman had called me). He didn't want me to talk to the GM. They gave me the original price. I should have told them to stick it up their ass.

Yeah, I don't think this kind of story is new--I'm glad I'm not the only sucker who gets their figurative butter churned by losers.

I'm going to call the GM back and tell him I just can't get over the treatment--no matter the deal.

OK, well, maybe I could if they gave it to me for $10k or something. Every man has his price.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #42
Beefeater Steve OP
Banned

Old 03-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #43
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

It's hard to get much detail from that single photo, but the bike
appears to be in showroom condition.

By the way, those plastic side cases are less likely to break your leg
than the sharp-cornered metal cases, which can cause point loading
which easily exceeds the compressive strength of human leg bones.
What I'm trying to say is that if you insist on having hard cases
these plastic cases are worth keeping.

Now if Phil can just get his bike running, we can see how this saga
turns out :-)

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 08:27 AM
Old 03-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #44
MtnVfr
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:

The article is by Alan Cathcart, and it tells the story of the beginnings
of the LC8 engine, and explains why some of the design decisions were
made. It's well worth the time it takes to read.

http://www.motosvet.com/tabla/topic/...ure-s/?p=64824

Great read, thanks!
MtnVfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #45
Beefeater Steve OP
Banned

Quote:

It's hard to get much detail from that single photo, but the bike
appears to be in showroom condition.

By the way, those plastic side cases are less likely to break your leg
than the sharp-cornered metal cases, which can cause point loading
which easily exceeds the compressive strength of human leg bones.
What I'm trying to say is that if you insist on having hard cases
these plastic cases are worth keeping.

Now if Phil can just get his bike running, we can see how this saga
turns out :-)

Phil is charging the new battery while I type, bless his heart. He's as patient with my nagging as my wife.

Here are some more photos of the bike in question: