Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #61
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Being a KTM and BMW mechanic i'll give you my 2 cents:

I love your review, is dead on.

The BMW is a bike made for everyone to drive. You don't have to worry if the front end has the weigh on the tire, or if the rear and has the weight, she is made so that the front is quite loaded (this is why she is planted).
She is also the same bike when she came out many years ago, but every new year was revised and fixed, so that made it a great bike. Altough sometimes it pisses me off the "problems" bmw has had with it, for instance, i can't believe they still have problems with stuff like the fuel pump relay or the ring antena. So are you paying more for what? is not because of quality.
The BMW is the best passenger hauler between the KTM and her, no questions about that.

The KTM, it's amazing the things this "Big dirt bike" can do, and in the first generation. One thing i do love about the "problems" with the KTM is that you see them one or two years then they are gone, and that says something about quality.
The other thing is that, how can a F%&*ing dirt bike with dirt tires can go that fast around a bend? and the BMW can't leave it behind? come on!
To me is priceless.

The thing, apart from the fun factor, that makes me own a KTM over a BMW is the very thing all the BMW owners love about their bikes..... The final drive, well, the system i mean, because my problem is with the drive shaft. My type of driving doesn't let me have a BMW because i would be changing driveshaft at least three times a year, and at 900 bucks a piece it makes me realized that my 300$ chain kit that last at least 20.000 Miles full of wheelies and agresive riding is well worth it.

BTW: had a lot of fun reading your review. Great writing.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #62
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefeater Steve View Post

REVIEW DISCLAIMER: This bike review in no way reflects my core Christian values or implied moral flexibility....

✧Succinctly, the GSA is the kind of bike you write poems about. The bike you take home to mom and dad; the one you make-love to face-to-face.

✧The KTM is the kind of bike you take behind the middle school and get pregnant. It's the kind of bike that, from the moment you light the fire, you know is downright nasty and makes you want to meet in the Burger King bathroom and lick its butthole.

Now that we got that bit of business out of the way, here's a slightly more refined review:

That was funny! You think like I do. I was laughing outloud hard enough that my wife had to see what was so funny. She was not as amused as I was....

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #63
rattis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Have a nice bike

Good luck with the baby and have fun wiz your new bike, whatever make.
And sorry 'bout the rant
Old 03-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #64
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,188
All in good fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattis View Post
Good luck with the baby and have fun wiz your new bike, whatever make.
And sorry 'bout the rant
Love the way us KTM owners are so passionate. You should see the claws come out between crushers about a simple tire or fender disagreement... Hahaha.

It's gotten pretty hard in here over the years.

But the KTM is definitely the way to go. That way you can try to keep up with Cole at Motum, or learn a thing or five about the bike.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #65
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattis View Post
rant!!
If the Bavarian was such a piece of shi.e, as you alledge it to be, how come that they sell them in such vast quantities?
The fact that you don't like them does not make it a bad product but maybe you're a little troll
Whatever makes you tick
By the way I have a 1200 GSA
and a 990 ADV
How can you even throw a leg over the GSA with the 990 nearby is beyond me. The only thing I miss from the GSA is the fuel range. I had a 2006 and at 20k km thats 12k miles it gave up the ghost because I rode it so hard it couldn't handle it. A valve hit one of the pistons right on the head and went through. Some technician told me he found it in my exhaust! Luckily I had 10 days left before the end of BMW warranty and I got covered in full. However, after 2-3 k miles the final drive started acting up I fixed the damn thing and trade it in with my 2009 then new 990...NEVER LOOKED BACK...guys that (want to) know how to ride would never pick the BMW over the KTM, even on tarmac the KTM feels so lighter that's offensive...FYI I had also a 2005 1200gs before the GSA and wasn't happy either with the built quality. For example panniers would fly if you hit a pothole hard enough...changed about three of them under warranty. Simply unacceptable for a bike that costs 13000 + new ....
Old 03-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #66
Beefeater Steve OP
Banned

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by GZERO View Post
Being a KTM and BMW mechanic i'll give you my 2 cents:

I love your review, is dead on.

BTW: had a lot of fun reading your review. Great writing.

Thanks! I meant to keep it light so there were no hard feelings. I love both bikes, truly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
That was funny! You think like I do. I was laughing outloud hard enough that my wife had to see what was so funny. She was not as amused as I was....
Haha. This is the reason I don't let my wife read much of what I write (or it may be the other way around--that she doesn't want to read it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Love the way us KTM owners are so passionate. You should see the claws come out between crushers about a simple tire or fender disagreement... Hahaha.

It's gotten pretty hard in here over the years.

But the KTM is definitely the way to go. That way you can try to keep up with Cole at Motum, or learn a thing or five about the bike.

I don't think Cole knows I've been lurking in Orange Crush Country. I emailed him a few days ago asking his thoughts on the 990 and his reviews were. . . (surprise) glowing, to say the least.

My next article for MOTUM is due soon, but I don't think this review will make it into the magazine--Apple has decency standards.
Beefeater Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #67
Beefeater Steve OP
Banned

Update

OK, so. . .

The dealer in CA accepted my offer. $12,750 shipped to my door. This is the same price I was going to pay for a new one at the local dealer, but this is the DAKAR version with a ton of goodies--and only 700 miles.

As I type, my wife is in the early stages of labor and we'll probably head to the hospital tonight. I told the dealer that I might go radio silent over the next day or two, but I'd call him soon and give him a deposit over the phone.

This doesn't mean that I'm keeping the 990 Dakar for good--it simply means I like the bike enough to buy it, but won't make a final decision until I can ride that 990 EFI on a dry day--really skin that smoke wagon.

-SKD-
Old 03-11-2013, 03:02 AM   #68
Hemskesven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Good luck with the new baby and the new bike, this was a real funny thread to read. Your review made my day :)
Hemskesven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #69
Beefeater Steve OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskesven View Post
Good luck with the new baby and the new bike, this was a real funny thread to read. Your review made my day :)
Thanks!

My wife's contractions died down last night, so nothing happened. Too bad, since I went to bed wearing my clothes.

I'm getting pretty anxious about it, even though this isn't my first rodeo.

Even though this isn't a thread about my baby, I'll still keep you gents updated since you've been along for the ride this far.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #70
bikepsych
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Steve,
Enjoy both babies! ;-)

And don't forget about the mantra "When momma's happy everyone's happy." So keep Momma happy.

BG
2009 Harley Road Glide
bikepsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #71
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:

✧The KTM is the kind of bike you take behind the middle school and get pregnant. It's the kind of bike that, from the moment you light the fire, you know is downright nasty and makes you want to meet in the Burger King bathroom and lick its butthole.
Good luck Steve, and early "Congrats!" on both new arrivals. The blue Dakar is a dead sexy bike, and I came reallllllly close to pulling the trigger on a left-over model at my local dealer.

I'm never letting you near my bikes though. Ever. If you'd lick the exhaust of the KTM, I shudder at the thought of what you might do to my Ducati!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #72
Beefeater Steve OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Good luck Steve, and early "Congrats!" on both new arrivals. The blue Dakar is a dead sexy bike, and I came reallllllly close to pulling the trigger on a left-over model at my local dealer.

I'm never letting you near my bikes though. Ever. If you'd lick the exhaust of the KTM, I shudder at the thought of what you might do to my Ducati!

-SM

OMG! Ducati!

The Italian bikes are like the prom queen (for me): As much as I want to drive the pig-skinned bus to tuna town, I realize they're simply too much, too fast, and too high maintenance for me.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #73
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,391
Quote:
OMG! Ducati!

The Italian bikes are like the prom queen (for me): As much as I want to drive the pig-skinned bus to tuna town, I realize they're simply too much, too fast, and too high maintenance for me.

I've always been a fan of "skin that smoke wagon", but "drive the pig-skin bus to tuna town" is a new one for me! Very good.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #74
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
OMG! Ducati!

That's a myth. I had mine for 5+ years, valves never changed, just did oil changes and that was it. My KTM seems to require as much maintenance as the Ducati did.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #75
Beefeater Steve OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
That's a myth. I had mine for 5+ years, valves never changed, just did oil changes and that was it. My KTM seems to require as much maintenance as the Ducati did.
That's what I thought about the prom queen until I had to get a restraining order and a penicillin shot.