ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,029
CannonTracks - Black Hills

Detailed ride report here.

I had been to the Hills a couple of times in the past riding a DRZ. Each time we would encounter old structures or other places of interest. I thought it would be interesting to get some background on some of these things to better appreciate the history I was seeing.

I went to work reading some books and digging some information out of the web and managed to compile a lot of (hopefully) interesting information about some of the stuff we encounter in the Hills. I went to work trying to locate some old ghost towns among other things.

I like to make rides like this solo as it allows me the freedom to dawdle and pursue anything that interests me without frustrating another rider who may not share my curiousity.

Since a lot of people visit the Hills to ride, I thought I would share some of this information in a ride report so that others can enjoy the history aspect of the Hills as well. For those that have never been there, maybe this report will give you the basic information you could use to put together a trip that will allow you to experience some of the great riding and excellent scenery of the area. For some of the old hands, I hope there is something new in this for you as well.

Riding in the Hills can be great on a street bike or on all sizes of dual sport bikes. Even though I was riding a large dual sport, I still ended up in some spots better suited for smaller bikes since I just can't help myself sometimes.

I am going to write this report in the style of Big Bike Solo on the Pony Express with pictures, tracks, and background information of things seen along the route.

As always, I'll put some map segments in the report and share the GPS file for anyone that wants it. I think I have close to 300 waypoints of points of interest in the file.

You are welcome to ride along in this report. I hope some of the stories and pictures capture your imagination like they did mine.

Attached Files
File Type: gpx 1 BH GPX Distro.gpx (627.9 KB, 119 views)