Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #31
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycekauai View Post
I've seen some guys have welded some on, but I'm gonna focus on the dash and headlight for now. Wanna get a ruckus headlight set up and speedo. Its all about looking cool right? haha.
Try an auto store and see what they have that might work to. Often some cool looking retro light to be found there.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #32
brycekauai OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Hey guys, I know the exhaust gaskets are an issue. But Mine is getting super loud. Last week both the bolts rattled off so I had to replace them. I'm getting white residue running down the exterior of the exhaust pipe. Looks like the material from the gasket ring. Is there a way to get this thing to quite down a little. My bike sounds like a motor cycle. Video to come. Thanks.
brycekauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #33
brycekauai OP
Adventurer

Also, I can feel air coming out of the head where it connects to the exhaust. Shouldn't this be air tight?
Old 05-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #34
fullmetalscooter

Quote:
Also, I can feel air coming out of the head where it connects to the exhaust. Shouldn't this be air tight?
You should have Exhaust gasket behind where it bolt into the head. http://www.scrappydogscooters.com/CF...8MJ_Parts.html half way down the page you see it. Then there a second gasket that goes over exhaust header and an between the muffler. This is is held on by a clamp.
Any champ but the big ass oem type is going to result in lots of noise because they don't seem to have the holding power. You can order both the gaskets from you honda dealer. Anyone know if If I m full of shit saying the the Gaskets off a helix my fit ? At least the Muffler one should work I m guessing. Really often thats all I m doing here is guessing and dishing up what someone else has said .
Old 05-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #35
brycekauai OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
You should have Exhaust gasket behind where it bolt into the head. http://www.scrappydogscooters.com/CF...8MJ_Parts.html half way down the page you see it. Then there a second gasket that goes over exhaust header and an between the muffler. This is is held on by a clamp.
Any champ but the big ass oem type is going to result in lots of noise because they don't seem to have the holding power. You can order both the gaskets from you honda dealer. Anyone know if If I m full of shit saying the the Gaskets off a helix my fit ? At least the Muffler one should work I m guessing. Really often thats all I m doing here is guessing and dishing up what someone else has said .
I have bought a few of those and I can't seem to make them last. I'm guessing that the motor is getting too hot and burning it up faster then normal. It goes from loud to louder.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #36
brycekauai OP
Adventurer

Exhaust sound

Here is a video of my exhaust sound. Sorry its so short, but see how the pipe from the head is white. And it sounds like a motorcycle. Any help or advice would be awesome.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #37
13bturbofc
n00b

Oddometer: 9
You say you've bought "a few of those gaskets" I'm not sure what the problem is or what your doing wrong because that gasket should last forever as long as your bolts are holding the muffler tight against the head as they are suppose to.. If the bolts are loose and not sealing it completely then what happens is the extremely hot exhaust gases escaping through the leak will burn out the gasket. From watching the video its pretty obvious the gasket is shot and the reason is most likely because the bolts are not holding tight.. also examine the muffler for any holes.
13bturbofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #38
fullmetalscooter

The only solution for gaskets that go between the pipe and where you clamp down to the muflar that don't burn out are DIY Copper or bronze piping that is turned down to the right size . Might have used sold peace that was turn down and then drill out to the right size. I ve read about them but never done it. Don't have or know how to use a lathe . This is a common issue on elite and helix . The problem with running without the gaskets for any leght of time is running lean. Burn out piston etc. Crazy question can't you just rejet to the carb to cure running lean and say screw the gasket? The other question is your muffler rattle can inside it? You ll end up with more noise that way.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #39
brycekauai OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13bturbofc View Post
You say you've bought "a few of those gaskets" I'm not sure what the problem is or what your doing wrong because that gasket should last forever as long as your bolts are holding the muffler tight against the head as they are suppose to.. If the bolts are loose and not sealing it completely then what happens is the extremely hot exhaust gases escaping through the leak will burn out the gasket. From watching the video its pretty obvious the gasket is shot and the reason is most likely because the bolts are not holding tight.. also examine the muffler for any holes.
So I just looked at the back of the muffler and its got a nice rust hole in it. Probably the size of an apple. I didn't notice it when I first spray painted it cause it was a little hid below. You guys think I should just make a new exhaust?
Old 05-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #40
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
The 150 only has one gasket, where the entire muffler attaches to the engine. That business about the second gasket and clamp is true for the Helix, but not the 150. When you put everything together there are 5 bolts involved, if I remember right. What you want to do is put the muffler on with everything really loose, then tighten the two nuts at the engine first, nice and snug. Only them tighten the 2 bolts at the front of the muffler-swingarm and the one at the rear of the muffler. I like to keep my foot or something solid under the whole thing, pushing up firmly, until everything is tight. You can use a double gasket.

Of course, if you have an apple size hole in the muffler, your problem won't be solved putting it together right. A skilled welder might be able to help you.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #41
brycekauai OP
Adventurer

Thanks! I put the two remaining gaskets I had left up in there and I'm going to have to get some new bolts, mine rattled off and the ones I got at the hardware store aren't cutting it. Wanna get it nice and snug before I do any real riding.

If I do a custom exhaust, were would I cut the original pipe?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #42
Eliter85
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Wow, thats great that you've done so much to the scooter. I have a '84 CH125 sitting here that also looks like it was stored in a bucket of water and I've pretty much given up on the idea of restoring it. But I might have to try after seeing this.. If i can get it registered anyways.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:45 AM   #43
brycekauai OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliter85 View Post
Wow, thats great that you've done so much to the scooter. I have a '84 CH125 sitting here that also looks like it was stored in a bucket of water and I've pretty much given up on the idea of restoring it. But I might have to try after seeing this.. If i can get it registered anyways.
2 Things.

1.You should for sure go for it. When all else fails, make it a skelly. I heard a guy say on a forum that a can of flat black spray paint makes anything look good. So charge it!

2.If you have trouble registering it, try the Vermont route. Super easy, thats what I did! Forum post below has all the info.

Vermont Link - http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655441
Old 05-06-2013, 01:48 AM   #44
brycekauai OP
Adventurer

Got a new speedometer from eBay. Its from a ruckus clone. Lets hope it works!

Old 05-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #45
fullmetalscooter

Quote:
So I just looked at the back of the muffler and its got a nice rust hole in it. Probably the size of an apple. I didn't notice it when I first spray painted it cause it was a little hid below. You guys think I should just make a new exhaust?
More then one guy has cut open his old one. Took out the baffles and just used round or square stock to make up new muffler. All depends if your handy with a welder. 50 bucks can buy you a cheap china muffler you can make work. GY6-150 std exhaust (type 2) is 70 bucks here: http://www.scrappydogscooters.com/12...OKE_PARTS.html

You can also buy and custom fit it. THere going to far more of these mufflers out there then oem. Just have to watch if it make it run lean.