ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #16
Patj551
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
OK Scott. Checked with the boss. I'm clear to support your April ride. I'm clear to do the recon rides in March too. (Planning on riding the WR) Yay! Looking forward to both!

We'll talk off line, but I'll be hauling the living quarter horse/toy trailer which is great for schleping stuff, but not great in off road conditions. We'll have to plan the meet up spot accordingly. Now I have a couple weeks to dig the "Taj" out of the snow and get it road ready!
Patj551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #17
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,728
Scott, I really interested in what you find in the section from Needles down to Natural Bridges, it's the one section that concerns me in regard to road conditions. Looking forward to hearing what you guys find in that area. PM me an e-mail address if you want the tracks & maps.
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #18
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Scott, I really interested in what you find in the section from Needles down to Natural Bridges, it's the one section that concerns me in regard to road conditions. Looking forward to hearing what you guys find in that area. PM me an e-mail address if you want the tracks & maps.
+1

Major gumbo if wet.

Hand gets sliced up this Friday. I'm pretty tentative on joining the main event, but I'm going to wait three weeks post-op to make a call.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #19
BuilderScott OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patj551 View Post
OK Scott. Checked with the boss. I'm clear to support your April ride. I'm clear to do the recon rides in March too. (Planning on riding the WR) Yay! Looking forward to both!

We'll talk off line, but I'll be hauling the living quarter horse/toy trailer which is great for schleping stuff, but not great in off road conditions. We'll have to plan the meet up spot accordingly. Now I have a couple weeks to dig the "Taj" out of the snow and get it road ready!
Fantastic! We can figure out a plan later this month while we're out there. Guess I need to take a trip out to Brighton radiator repair soon.
BuilderScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #20
BuilderScott OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
10-4. I originally wanted to do this mid April but Ben convinced me to wait because of the slop factor.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #21
BuilderScott OP
Studly Adventurer

Bump. Still room for a few riders. This will now be somewhat supported (thanks Pat!) so maybe this helps a couple folks who didn't have the 180 mile range. Not sure yet what will be required but probably quite a bit less.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #22
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,707
Scott, I'd love to go as I've done pretty much most of that ride already(several times), but I can't make a commitment. Have a great ride, it is some stunning scenery and riding.
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #23
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
I may be out, but not sure yet. I had a friendly deal to sell my WR to a buddy and didn't think he was too serious... he called me out on it last weekend and now I'm without the bike I was planning to ride on this trip!

I do have my KTM 690 Enduro, but I honestly don't know that it would like Elephant Hill & beyond to Bobbys Hole Hill. The bit of rocky, offroad riding I've done on the bike has left me uninspired for the really rough stuff.

Is anyone else planing on riding a bigger bike on this trip? I could bypass that portion, ride up Cottonwood Canyon and into Ruin Park, but that kind of defeats the fun!
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #24
KDouble
AKA BeefCurtain

Oddometer: 161
I'd be up for this! Are the dates, solid?

KDouble screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 10:20 PM
KDouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #25
CliffonTwo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Noob question?

I am suspect this ride will require a more agile bike than a KLR?
CliffonTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:18 AM   #26
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
I tried to go over Elk Ridge about a week and a half ago on a tracked UTV and could only make it up south cottonwood to the intersection with the causeway road (Mormon Pasture area) waist deep snow. Coming off fast though.
mylsmkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #27
Patj551
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Scott, RE recon ride. Hope you're still able to swing it. I'm driving over Wed afternoon 3/27 returning Sunday afternoon. (I need some RR!) Stopping in GJ to pick up oversize gas tank from greg@rme. Planning on staying at RV Park for a couple nights. I'm bringing non plated WR. Might toss in the KLR too... We'll have to meet up Fri when you hit town. Look fwd to catching up with you.
Pat
Patj551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #28
bradrh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Count me in. I'll be on the wrr.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #29
BuilderScott OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddler View Post
Scott, I'd love to go as I've done pretty much most of that ride already(several times), but I can't make a commitment. Have a great ride, it is some stunning scenery and riding.
If the timing works out, join us. Steve's toying with bringing the 990, should be entertaining

Greg - Bummer. Keep us posted.

Dates - Yes, solid.

KLR - 98% no problem. 2% could be a show stopper for you depending on bike set-up and your ability... Then again, I haven't done any of this route yet. You might check Ben's thread (the original Canyonlands Ride thread), much more information and discussion about the route there.

Pat - Yes, tough decision, but I've decided to head to Utah next Friday instead of going to see REK. I'll probably roll into Moab mid-afternoon-ish. If the weather forecast changes for the worse, I'll probably end up staying home and painting the town beige...

So... For Sale - Two tickets to REK $40

BuilderScott screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 12:21 AM
Old 03-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #30
wbunt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Would love to join you but it is the one weekend that I have to work this year . Have a new to me KLX450 that needs to go there .
wbunt is online now   Reply With Quote