Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
gtj OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Helmet Dual Sport vs Full Face

Just some input on a new helmet.

I have become accustomed to the better visual field of a MX style helmet from years of ATV'ing and past off road motorbiking, wearing goggles with the MX helmet and a balaclava for winter. I have worn my MX helmet on the road but at higher speeds, it is very noisy, it is draughty and cold in winter and the beak grabs the wind and pulls the helmet backwards at higher speeds. My wife also thinks I look pretty "doorky".

The full face motorbike helmets seem a little claustrophic, in the fact that they don't offer as wide/high of a visual field.

The dual sport helmets look much like a MX helmet with a face shield, so I anticipate similar noise and beak/wind issues which would make extensive road riding not so great.

I ride a Tiger 800 mostly road.

Any full face style helmets out there with a MX style field of view?
Any comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Glenn
gtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Saigo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I bought an Arai XD4 and am very happy with it. I dont find it louder than any other helmet i've owned, the peak is removeable, you can wear googles with the visor on and has great ventilation....i wore it all winter and has been warm down to -10*F except for some fogging (no breath box)
Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
I ride both on-road and off road. Off road I wear a standard MX style helmet. On road, I wear an Arai Profile. While the eye opening of the Arai is slightly smaller than the MX helmet, I find the protruding mouth guard on the MX helmet to be more obtrusive. I've never found the full-face on-road helmet to cause me any problems with vision.

One possible solution, if you don't like the full face, would be an open face on-road helmet, I've considered them because it would be cooler in the summer (N.Alabama.) I'm also thinking about an Icon Variant, sort of a cross between off and on road helmets. There are a lot of times, on road, when I'd like a visor, and a lot of time, off road, when I'd like a face shield instead of Goggles. Not really a fan of goggles - just personal preference. It also has a larger opening than most full-face helmets, plus, it just looks cool!

These guys on Triumph Tigers seem to do pretty well in their Variants! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvYAcJOx3s
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
socially stunted
Addict

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saigo View Post
I bought an Arai XD4 and am very happy with it. I dont find it louder than any other helmet i've owned, the peak is removeable, you can wear googles with the visor on and has great ventilation....i wore it all winter and has been warm down to -10*F except for some fogging (no breath box)
Does the peak cause drag or buffeting at highway speeds or do you just remove it for the road?
socially stunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
OHjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Are you selling something? This is the Flea Market. Not a gear recommendation forum.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
That'sLife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Looks like he posted in the right place to me. This is not the FM.

Carry on.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
james t kirk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
this was in the flea market.

but anyway, i think the Shark Evoline 3 is the best modular helmet on the market.

kirk out

james t kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by That'sLife View Post
Looks like he posted in the right place to me. This is not the FM.

Carry on.
That was before a mod took action.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
That'sLife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I think the helmets that cater to the touring style have a bigger "face hole" (technical term). I have a Shoei Neotec and it seems to have a wider FOV than average. I believe that the Shoei touring styles are all designed for the upright riding posture so the vents are aimed accordingly and the FOV is lower and wider than the typical racer lids. Something like the Shoei Qwest or the modular Multitec, Neotec even the new GT-Air for example. I am sure other brands have something similar.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
You've also got to try them on your head. If it hurts, you won't wear it. You'll also want to see if it's rubbing your ears, or bumping your chin, etc. Lots of variability.

Like you, I find almost all of the street types unpleasantly close around the face, and vision restricting.

I wish I could find someone with a Shark or a Nolan 43 or such to try on. Those two, and a few others, have my interest, mostly due to visibility and ventilation.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtj View Post

I have become accustomed to the better visual field of a MX style helmet from years of ATV'ing and past off road motorbiking, wearing goggles with the MX helmet and a balaclava for winter. I have worn my MX helmet on the road but at higher speeds, it is very noisy, it is draughty and cold in winter and the beak grabs the wind and pulls the helmet backwards at higher speeds. My wife also thinks I look pretty "doorky".

The full face motorbike helmets seem a little claustrophic, in the fact that they don't offer as wide/high of a visual field.

The dual sport helmets look much like a MX helmet with a face shield, so I anticipate similar noise and beak/wind issues which would make extensive road riding not so great.

Thanks,
Glenn

Kinda odd as it's been my experience that goggles REDUCE my peripheral vision quite severely compared to any full face helmet I've ever worn.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
mitch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
Thumb

I have a Shoei Hornet that I use for both dirt and tar, its great once you get over the price shock and I like the pull out liner so you can give it a good wash after sweating in it on a hot day .
06 GSA . SE. will try to stay away from pickups.
Well it was a car this time #L/tib & fib in the same place as the previous F wit crushed it
Ducati making mechanics out of riders for 50 years
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtj View Post

Thanks,
Glenn
Fullface....non-MX or DS style....yes!. GMAX helmets have such a creature(s).Also, I have a HJC CS-R2...so far,so good!. GMAX's gm-11 DS helmet is also a good unit.If you find your head size at the upper end of the fitment chart ( EX: lets say your head measures 61cm....and you see a GMAX with a range of 60-61 cm vs. one indicating 61-62 cm...get the unit indicating 60-61.) The latter size will give you WAY to much play...IMO.....good luck.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
brittrunyon
R 100 GS F 650 GS

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch View Post
I have a Shoei Hornet that I use for both dirt and tar, its great once you get over the price shock and I like the pull out liner so you can give it a good wash after sweating in it on a hot day .
Glad you like the Hornet!

I just ordered a Shoei Hornet. It should arrive tomorrow, I'll put in my 2 cents..........

My Motorcycle Videos & More @ http://vimeo.com/user2721333
No Rules Photography @ http://brittrunyon.com/
brittrunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHjim View Post
Are you selling something? This is the Flea Market. Not a gear recommendation forum.

This is the equipment forum.......soooooooooooooooo?.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote