Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
mikejjmay OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
autocom vs scala vs ?

Hey all,

so getting a communications system lined up for me and whoever is in the hack. Autocom seems like it has better volume, and you can use earbuds (which is great). Downsides are its wired, costs more, and lots of accessories need to be bought to run it that way (extensions, earbud adaptor, etc). good things - it can be run off AAA batteries or hardwired.

Other option is scalarider teamset. Nice to be wireless, but seems to not do too well at speed, and also need to worry about recharging on multi day trips. I will be behind a GW windshield, so maybe it will be better.

Thoughts? Oh by the way, it is for full face helmets.
mikejjmay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Farmer1949
Out standing in his field

Oddometer: 217
We started with the inexpensive Nady PMC-2 hard wired unit and would have made great comedy film subjects as we would forget to unplug before we dismounted.

We then got the Sena SMH10 and absolutely love them....probably ony got 1,000 miles use but really like them. They are supposed to do all the MP3/cellphone Blah, Blah, Blah....but we are simple farmers and don't do all that hippie twaddle. We use them for wireless bike to sidecar communication and for that they are fantastic. It really makes people look at you oddly when you walk into the post office and are still talking to your monkey out in the SC!!!! Supposedly you can talk with up to three units and up to 1/4 mile (I think) apart. I'd suggest you check them out in you searching....The batteries have amzing shelf life....I mean we won't use them for a month or more and they still have their charge!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
camaroz1985
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Wife and I use Scala G4 now, and the Q2 before that. The G4 has much better volume than the older units. I have never had an issue. I wear ear plugs all the time, and only have it on the second or third click from the quietest. Works great.

I charge it every couple months with normal use (maybe an hour or two a week). I took a two day trip last year using it for 12 hours one day, and 8 the next and still used it for a couple weeks afterwards.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
smith8833
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
scala

We had the motocom and had several problems with the fine wires breaking! It works well and the sound is good!

We switched to the Scala rider and love it! Found a good deal on ebay!

Our helmets are the modular style and we have no problems talking at speed!

We don't use all the gizmo's and gadgets, not even gps, just bike to car comm! Wife is the Navigator and active partner of the ride!
smith8833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,579
Sena 5. Works OK. Sound quality good. Must be recharged daily. Relatively easy to switch from helmet to helmet. I only use it for person to person communication, and phone calls. No music or GPS or other bluetooth type devices.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 529
Sena SMH10, ditch Scala

Have had a Scala G4 and a G9. Thoroughly fed up with both of them. Pairing is difficult and unreliable, operation is difficult with all the different buttons and keypresses, bad ergos with small buttons, etc. Three of us who ride together all have just had it with Scala units. Too hard to pair all 3 together and keep them connected with each other, seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when they connect properly and when they don't. And all 3 of us are engineers so setting up and operating tech equipment is not at all unusual for us. Just can't get the damn Scalas to cooperate repeatedly.

Sena SMH10 seems the way to go. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=sena for lots of info on them.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
Essex of Essex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
A vote here for the Autocom, mine is on its third bike and still works as new, good after sales assistance, and good audio quality. I have the sat nav, telephone and iPod running through it and wouldn't want to be without it, mine is hard wired so no fear of flat batteries when off the beaten track.
Essex of Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjmay View Post
Hey all,

so getting a communications system lined up for me and whoever is in the hack. Autocom seems like it has better volume, and you can use earbuds (which is great). Downsides are its wired, costs more, and lots of accessories need to be bought to run it that way (extensions, earbud adaptor, etc). good things - it can be run off AAA batteries or hardwired.

Other option is scalarider teamset. Nice to be wireless, but seems to not do too well at speed, and also need to worry about recharging on multi day trips. I will be behind a GW windshield, so maybe it will be better.

Thoughts? Oh by the way, it is for full face helmets.
BT comm units can be a PITA to deal with when using multiple devices. They aren't seamless like wired comm units. For instance, there is a delay when you switch from listening to your MP3 player to talking on the intercom. This is probably the most glaring problem with them.

I've never liked speakers on ANY comm unit including the Autocomm. Keep in mind the Sena SMH10 does have an earbud option as far a the BT units go.

All the recent BT models can last a full day on a charge so power isn't a big issue IMO, but the Sena's can be charged while you're using them so once again a plus for those as far as BT units go.

Another big problem with BT units when doing bike to bike communication is they aren't compatible between brands, so a Scala won't be able to pair with a Sena. Now with wired systems, an Autocom with a Kenwood FRS radio can talk just fine to a Starcom with a Motorola FRS radio.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
There is a guy in the Flea markert that has a Behr system he is selling. You may want to check it out. They are very nice and on the top of the heap when it comes to bike comms.
2013 Ducati Multistrada, 08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Our group of about 10 is half Autocom/Starcom, and half various BT units. The Autocom units have been the most reliable and are more robust than Starcom in my experience. The BT units seem to work well when the BT folks are talking with each other, but not so good in other ways. For instance, there are delays and the volume when we talk with each other is too low. And they can be a pain to set up. Going wireless is more elegant, no doubt, but I would rather have the wires and better function.

I have two backup Autocom units and would be willing to sell one of them. If you are interested send me a pm.

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
Lisa_ST
Autocom Guru

Oddometer: 9
Biased plug Autocom vs. Scala

Only buy one of two options:
1) wired: Autocom. I sell it and ride it and have forever. It's the best and most flexible.
2)BT: if you must go wireless, go Sena. They keep up with Bluetooth standards as they change and are real techies that ride. I can get them from a distributor but don't stock them.
Email me off the forum for details and pricing.
Lisa
Lisa@divenrideadventures.com
-or-
Lisa@autocomdirect.com
lisa@divenrideadventures.com
Lisa_ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
Have had a Scala G4 and a G9. Thoroughly fed up with both of them.

Sena SMH10 seems the way to go. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=sena for lots of info on them.
I am a G4 owner and I agree. I am very frustrated by my G4. The big draw over the Sena units when I bought in was that the Scala firmware was upgradable in the field. 2-3 days (or so it seemed) after I bought my set Sena added that capability as well.

I would look elsewhere.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
beechhunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
+1 on Starcom1

Tried various BT options but they did not work for my applications. I switched to Starcom1 in 2009 and haven't looked back. IMHO it all depends on how many hours you intend to ride the bike and how many of those hours are spent talking, listening to music or in silence. I run a Starcom with sat. radio, phone, GPS, and two-way radios. I can listen to the radio all day without recharging and the wife and I can have conversation off and on as well. No switching between gadgets. If one of us speaks the music automatically mutes until the conversation is over. Great setup. Like I said IMHO.
beechhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
I'm an Autocomm user. It works and does the job. I don't see the issue with plugging in one wire to be able to listen to my iPod, my Zumo, bluetooth on the phone through the Zumo (rarely used but able to) my Kenwood radio and, in the past, the passenger in the back..... (She now has her own bike.)

A friend has a Starcom and he has similar experiences.

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 435
What's the total buy-in cost for an autocom, headset setup for one rider helmet, and BT integration with a phone or ipod type music player?

My perception is that it is well over $500.

The Scala and Sena sets currently get that done for about 50-60% of the price, do not require any wiring to the bike, and are portable from bike to bike. I imagine that's why they are so popular. The wired headset isn't the issue IMO.